Can't sleep!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm only 15 weeks along but can't for the life of me sleep some nights. I'm getting heartburn early this time (joy!), can't get comfortable in any position, and am feeling gassy to very mildly nauseous. Not terrible but just enough to keep from falling asleep. I've been tossing and turning for 2.5 hours and now that exhaustion is finally starting to take over, DD is up. I'm about ready to jump out the window and run away. Anyone else?
#2 of 8 Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have also had a lot of trouble sleeping this pregnancy. Getting up to pee 2-3 times a night doesn't help but I have trouble falling back asleep, it's like I am really restless or something. Unfortunately I don't have any advice but I can sympathize! It's strange though, I don't remember having this insomnia with my other 2 pregnancies.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#3 of 8 Old 02-08-2013, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I'm sorry you are feeling yucky.  Elevating the head of your bed or sleeping with your head elevated may help the heartburn.  Pillows are also great for getting more comfortable.  Listening to meditations on my ipod also helps me fall asleep sometimes.  I hope you get some rest soon!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#4 of 8 Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 AM

I have been sleeping in a recliner since the end of the first trimester because I got a bad cold and then after that I couldn't breath out of my nose at night if I was laying down. I use breath rights to help with that, but elevating is essential. I think it would help with heartburn of course too. I also take sublingual b12 daily, which I have found helps me sleep well at night, but don't take it right before bed because it is also known for giving an energy boost. I take it during the day. I have also heard taking magnesium daily can help with sleep. As an added bonus it helps with preventing constipation too. When I tried to sleep in bed I'd just be up half the night, so I gave up on that idea.

I had terribly insomnia at the beginning of this pregnancy. One of the first signs I was pregnant. The sublingual b12 has fixed that. I forgot to take it for a couple weeks and the insomnia came back. I started taking it again and it went away. So, I'm sure.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#5 of 8 Old 02-11-2013, 05:31 AM

I was having trouble sleeping due to some stomach pains waking me up around 3am each night. I wasn't calling it nausea because there was no sensation like gagging, but it was definitely uncomfortable like a sour stomach or even similar to the starting of an ulcer. Though it didn't feel like hunger I tried snacking when I woke up and that helped a little, because I assume I had excess stomach acid that needed to be put to use. After a few nights of this I tried a more substantial snack last night - a protein bar with 15 grams of whey protein - and that helped a lot. I got right back to sleep and stayed asleep until 7:20am without any aches or pains. Only drawback was some gassiness when I woke up but it wasn't painful so I don't mind. 

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#6 of 8 Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I'm feeling better though and the reason I'm up these days is my toddler. Unfortunately there's not enough b12 in the world to make her sleep lol. TMI alert: for some inexplicable reason my BMs moved to 2:30 am. Seriously, what the?! Lol
#7 of 8 Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 AM

Meh, me too.  I haven't been able to sleep normally since about the middle of the second trimester.  Now I'm in the third trimester, and about ready to give up on the whole sleeping thing entirely. 

#8 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 AM

I'm having lots of trouble sleeping this pregnancy too. Part of it is twins making me uncomfortable sooner, but I don't know what the rest is. I am too hot, then too cold, then just waking up a bunch, etc. It's not heartburn, occasionally it is hunger or having to pee more than once and it is not every night thank goodness, but way too many! One thing that helps is getting in a good walk or other exercise as it makes me tired enough to sleep a bit better, but that's always hard for me in the winter, but we'll have our recumbent bike set up again soon so I'll be able to get on that again so hopefully that will help!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page