Conceiving on the first try... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wanted to avoid the fertility forums because this post might seem insensitive over there for those who are struggling.

The first time I became pregnant, it was only trying during a single month and we happened to be successful.  I had made up an excel chart of the month I would prefer to give birth, backwards calculated to when I would conceive, and planned my attack. And it worked, much to my amazement.  I did use an ovulation kit at the time and think this helped (thanks ebay and china!).

That went on to become my baby boy who turns two in April:-)  Simply amazing.

This past december, DH and I had intercourse once in like three months.  We have been under a lot of stress.  This was the first time he did not 'withdraw' ever without a condom and he even said then it was intentional so that I would be pregnant from it.  Amazingly, he was right.  Even he didn't really believe it, and we were a while from planning to get pregnant but he got a 'wild hair' and gave it a shot (no pun intended).

Even though I was far from prepared for the current pregnancy (I have more than a lot on my plate), I know what a blessing it is, but was shocked nonetheless.

These are the only times one or both of us has tried to get me pregnant and it worked without fail.  Unusual  or no?

On one hand I am really proud of it, on the other I am really ashamed that I would find something so absurd to be 'proud' of as my bodily function, as I could have easily been one of the many women struggling to get pregnant.  I will try to raise my self esteem, I swear!

I guess I am just grateful.

Anybody else have a similar story?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 PM

Basically the same for us, I thought it would be difficult because I am older (38 for DS, 41 for this one) but both times I am pretty sure it was the first time with good timing.  I was charting, but the timing was challenging both times because of travel and/or illness, so it still took us a few months each time.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

DD1 was conceived the first month we decided to throw away the BC and just see what happened.

DD2 took over a year of actively TTC.

DS1 was another first attempt.

DS2 was a complete surprise during a time when I never ever should of been fertile. Hello bonus baby! 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 AM

I got pregnant with my first with not using protection for one week. I then decided I didn't want to have a baby yet and it was apparently too late. Didn't realize at the time it could happen so fast. LOL

With my second, I got pregnant as soon as my periods were back.

With my third we got pregnant the first month of not preventing and with minimal "trying."

With my fourth pregnancy(ended in miscarriage) we got pregnant right away with minimal "trying."

With my current pregnancy, we got pregnant and it was immediately following the miscarriage. We did try a lot during that month, but I doubt we had to. 

The both of us are just seriously fertile. After this, I'm hoping to not get pregnant again any time soon if ever again, but lol, as fertile as we are, who knows. 

I don't take hormonal birth control at all, ever. We only use condoms when preventing. Maybe hormonal birth control can mess up some women's fertility. That's why I mention it.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 02-11-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't take hormonal birth control at all, ever. We only use condoms when preventing. Maybe hormonal birth control can mess up some women's fertility. That's why I mention it.

Ditto with me.  The first and only time I was on birth control was for about two months back when YAZMIN was on the market (YAZ is now being sued like crazy for side effects).  I have just always felt that hormonal birth control was an incredibly odd thing to do to my body.  Aren't our hormones messed up enough as it is>?  

Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

DD1 was conceived the first month we decided to throw away the BC and just see what happened.

DS2 was a complete surprise during a time when I never ever should of been fertile. Hello bonus baby! 

DH has been threatening to give me four babies; he is so proud of himself.  I absolutely LOVED the first year of my son's life; it was like a dream.  Now is still good but just more "real".  But I can't even imagine having two!  I think he will see the light when the next one arrives, but we'll see.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 AM

Congratulations! My Mom is like that (and I think most/all of her sisters too judging from how many kids they all have so close in age smile.gif ) and actually warned me about it, not in a mean trying to scare me way, but just in a be extra careful with protection kind of way! I don't seem to be quite as fertile as it has taken us 3 months each time to conceive, but still that is pretty quick especially when our timing was off for the first month both times. Also, I'm having twins now so I'm kind of proud of that, so I get what you are saying smile.gif I think that may be why a lot of my family is so fertile is they tend to ovulate a lot, I have 3 sets of twin cousins too!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 AM

I'm pretty fertile like that too I guess.  DD1 was conceived our first month trying, I was charting.  DD2 was a surprise and this baby was conceived the first month we tried too.  This time was sort of a guess but I thought we were too late in the cycle.  Guess not!

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:35 AM

I'm also like that. My first pregnancy happened when I was using nuvaring. It had slipped out for a few hours one day, no more than 6 or 7 hours. I put it back in and went about my merry way. Had unprotected sex a few days later and BAM, pregnant.

My DD was also a surprise, conceived despite a broken condom and Plan B pill! With this one I knew I wanted a June baby because of work (I work in a kindergarten classroom) so I counted backwards and had my iud removed in late June/early July to give my body time to cycle again. During this time lots of friends who knew we wanted a June baby warned us not to get our hopes up, that sometimes it takes a lot longer than you plan. So we decided to stop using any barrier method from then (end of August--we had just missed my August cycle) and I was pregnant by the end of September!

Now baby just has to stick around and cook in there til June.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

Old 02-11-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Your graphics are soo cute! Congrats on the news:-)

Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

My first was a surprise, so I guess that counts :) My second was conceived on the first try as well...in fact I know the exact date of conception because there was literally only one try in there, lol!!

My sister conceived very quickly and easily as well, as did my mom from what I understand.

I feel so incredibly lucky to have gotten pregnant when I wanted to, and even when I didn't necessarily!  It breaks my heart when I see and hear of women who struggle to get pregnant when they so desparately want to.   

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 AM

My hubby and I have done natural family planning, no birth control pills, just checking CM for "safe" intercourse or wearing condoms for the last 11years diring times when we are trying to prevent pregnancy and it has been effective for us. Also, just checking CM has been effective for helping pin point when I ovulate. i always have an extremely small amount of pink spotting when I ovulate and Ive gotten pregnant every time Ive noticed that and had unprotected sex.
My first baby was conceived during the second month of trying to get pregnant (didnt spot the first month but had unprotected sex all momth) and my second and third babies were during the first months of trying! I find it pretty amazing too. smile.gif
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 AM

I'm another for this club. DD was conceived on the first try. DH literally said "wasn't your period about two weeks ago?" Sure enough, that's all it took. We were not preventing for about six months before but we didn't DTD all that often so I'm guessing we just kept missing ovulation. This time we were spontaneous on DH's birthday and I thought I was way too late in my cycle to get pregnant. Nope! Lol. I tell him he's got ninja swimmers and it's either the snip-snip or the no glove no love policy from now on.
Apparently all my dad had to do was look at my mom and she was pregnant -according to her wink1.gif . I'm guessing it may run in families. I do have people in the extended family who do struggle with infertility and I do feel very fortunate to be this fertile. I dont think it's odd to feel proud of fertility. I look at it as DH and I are a fertile, biologically compatible couple. I take pride in having found a partner with whom I'm not only intellectually and spiritually compatible but biologically as well smile.gif
Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 AM

My husband referred to our conception of Little Miss as "one shot, one kill".  No, I'm serious.

My mother was also another one that if you looked at her funny, she was knocked up.  I felt a lot of guilt for years because my father's side of the family really struggles and many cannot have children at all.  For year I simply did not want children, and I felt bad that perhaps I could have them, and didn't, and all these women I loved wanted them and couldn't have them.  Then when we decided to try, I had a few days to worry that maybe, now that I'd decided to have babies, I couldn't.  The husband still kind of gripes that he didn't get to spend much time trying to get me pregnant.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 AM

Lol mrs Gregory. My DH also complains about being too efficient. I was also actually looking forward to learning about charting but it's a moot point now. 16 weeks along with number two and we are both very firm on wanting to be a family of four. So much for the fun of trying lol
Old 02-12-2013, 01:14 PM

I also conceived intentionally on the first cycle.  I gotta say, conscious conception feels sooo different from just letting it happen.  

~Sadie fly-by-nursing1.gifintactlact.gif  guitar.gif sewmachine.gif - mom to dd 9/15/01, ds 11/12/03 {ubac}, and ds 4/29/2011, wife to Mitchell.  pos.gif coming soon in late June!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Both my girls were conceived in the first month of trying. DD1 was a wedding night baby. It occurred to me that I might be pregnant when I was getting no signs of ovulation. She was conceived on day 8 of my cycle.

DD2 I was using ovulation predictor strips but clearly interpreted them wrong because I had signs of ovulation a week later, we DTD that day and 10 days later had a positive pregnancy test.

I am also a bit embarrassed about how easy it is for us when so many people have problems.

And it's not that we're so young either. 33 and 50 for our first, 35 and 52 for our second.

We feel very, very fortunate.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 AM

Same here! My sisters and I have an inside joke about how it only takes once!

We did fertility awareness method and withdrawal for a solid 3yrs. I must say I always thought it odd I never got pregnant and am now in love with FAM and will never go back to hormonal birth control. But gezze on New Years Eve we don't withdrawal and BOOM here we are at 8wks pregnant!!!

I have thyroid issues and am overweight. Two things that make it very hard to get pregnant from what I read-- I really thought we'd have to try more. It's a good thing but also scary!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post

Same here! My sisters and I have an inside joke about how it only takes once!

We did fertility awareness method and withdrawal for a solid 3yrs. I must say I always thought it odd I never got pregnant and am now in love with FAM and will never go back to hormonal birth control. But gezze on New Years Eve we don't withdrawal and BOOM here we are at 8wks pregnant!!!

I have thyroid issues and am overweight. Two things that make it very hard to get pregnant from what I read-- I really thought we'd have to try more. It's a good thing but also scary!

congrats!  I have hashimotos and am also overweight.  I carefully monitor my tsh because it went higher steadily during my last pregnancy and crashed afterwards.  tis can trigger ppd so do be careful. all the bestest:-)

Old 02-18-2013, 07:25 AM

There's no shame in being proud of yourselves and excited for your next pregnancy :) Congratulations!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm currently expecting my first baby and we, too, succeeded right after 1 month of trying. I also feel like I shouldn't brag about it as we could have just as well ended up struggling to conceive, but we're still very happy about it (just trying not to mention it to others, just in case our friends are struggling.. Not wanting to hurt feelings). We tried one month and were sure we were pregnant, then weren't. I read stuff online and concluded it must take about six months on average to conceive, so we started preparing mentally for a longer run. But then the beginning of month 2 it happened right away. I feel really blessed.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:11 AM

I'm monitoring my thyroid carefully and on a wonderful alternative hormone drug call Naturethroid. I have been getting VERY cold at night and brain fog so I'm a little worried it is either anemia or I need to up my thyroid meds.

Thanks for the congrats and to all you other mamas who conceived so fast!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

with ds2, what cycle day did you get pg?

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
Old 02-24-2013, 01:04 PM

I'm pregnant for the first time and we got pregnant the first month we tried. I had been charting for a total of three months though, so I had a pretty good idea of when we needed to bd.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:51 AM

With DD1, she was a surprise, so I guess that counts, with DS1, I was still breastfeeding, but we caught the first PP egg with charting. With DD2, I was breastfeeding, and charting and I think it took 2 or 3 cycles, and with this little bean, I am breastfeeding but had resumed normal periods for close to a year, and with charting got pregnant the first try :)

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 AM

We have been fortunate and have conceived two of our three on the first try.  The third was conceived on what was supposed to be the first try, but I can't control myself when I'm ovulating and we ended up dtd right before ovulation for two months before finally on the third month we caught the egg.  Which is shocking in and of itself because I have a horrible luteal phase so I'm still kind of surprised that we caught the egg at all, or rather that the egg had a chance to implant, but the 30 pregnancy tests that I've taken assure me that we did.  love.gif

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

Old 02-26-2013, 01:53 PM

we are in the club too - and I feel a it proud to be in it - secretly of course ;)  Dh and I used the "pull and pray" method combined with the rhythm method (yes rhythm, not charting bag.gif) for about a year.  Then my IL's took home their first son.  I was "accidentally" pregnant about two weeks later.  We had been talking on and off about when to start trying, and when I told Dh it was "careful" time...he wasn't.  He figured it was going to take a few tries.  It didn't.  This time, we caught the first PP egg.  So excited to be a family of four soon! It is hard to contain the excitement though, when you know friends are having problems.  But it is really cool to know that DH and I are so compatible :)

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 PM

You aren't the only one!

1st pregnancy was a surprise (and a m/c)

2nd pregnancy happened on the first try (also a m/c)

3rd pregnancy happened the first month we "tried" although I sort of thought we might have slipped up the month before - DS will be 3 in June

I did charting/natural planning for the next 2 years and the 4th pregnancy (due any day!) was a bit of a whoops - I was not being as careful as I should have been with charting and told DH that things were "probably ok"  but it turns out that anytime we have unprotected intercourse (without following the chart) I get pregnant. 

I understand how that could bother people who are experiencing fertility problems - but it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I call my DH the "one hit wonder" LOL!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 03-05-2013, 04:17 PM

Yup this is us too. Our first we conceived the first month of trying (no charting, I didn't know about it). When I got my first AF afterwards, we said maybe we should start trying and I was pregnant that cycle with baby 2. Our third all it took was one time of dh not pulling out in time. (I had learned about charting, so i know the one time was during my fertile time) I'm now pregnant with our fourth, and only dtd once that month. lol.gif My dh tells me I get pregnant way too easily.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!

User Tag List