Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Chia Seeds while pregnant?
Yes, they're super good for you and baby! 1 100.00%
No, you might want to hold off. 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-14-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, a girlfriend of mine was recently raving about the healthy benefits of adding Chia Seeds to one's diet. I've done a good amount of reading online that suggests it would be an awesome addition to my routine as I have issues with nutrition absorption and it's got tons of fiber, protein, would absorb acid nicely (I am still getting stick a lot even though I've hit my second trimester).

My only real concerns are these:

1) It says it makes you feel "full" for a long time, I don't need to feel full , I need to keep eating all throughout the day to help with my nausea and it's better for my particular system to graze.

2) One of the sites I was reading said to keep to the recommended dosage to avoid forming an addiction to them. What exactly would these do to my baby then?

So... I guess my only real question is, who else has used Chia seeds while pregnant, what was your experience, and would you suggest it to a friend?

#2 of 9 Old 02-14-2013, 04:02 PM

I bake with chia occasionally and we always add some to our smoothies. I wouldn't go without....but I also have candida issues and find chia helps with that. I definitely have no addiction to them....ick! LOL. Never heard of that!

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#3 of 9 Old 02-14-2013, 04:47 PM

I am 26 weeks and recently added chia to my diet. I have them in my granola, and have made chia pudding (google for some yummy recipes) a couple times. I have had a poor appetite this entire pregnancy, but don't find that they keep me feeling full any longer than other things I eat (I try to eat something every couple hours). I have not heard about the addiction issue. I stick to 1-2 tbsp per day.

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#4 of 9 Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 PM

I use them when pregnant and not.  I bake with them (ground) instead of using xanthan gum in gluten free baking.  I also add a tablespoon or two to my morning smoothie.  I have also made pudding.  I've never heard the addiction thing.  They can make your blood pressure go low so if you already deal with low blood pressure, they may not be good for you.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#5 of 9 Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

I have symptoms of both high and low blood pressure, and we're in the middle of a move so I don't have a new doctor yet. :-( I think I might hold off for now, just in case.

#6 of 9 Old 02-23-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykelacy View Post

I have symptoms of both high and low blood pressure, and we're in the middle of a move so I don't have a new doctor yet. :-( I think I might hold off for now, just in case.

You can go to a store with a blood pressure cup in the pharmacy to check your blood pressure out. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#7 of 9 Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykelacy View Post

I have consistenty low BP (I check at least once a week) but chia doesn't seem to have any effect on that, at least that I have ever noticed.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#8 of 9 Old 04-25-2013, 10:56 AM

I know this is an older thread but thought I would add my experience here anyways to help anyone else who comes across it.

Chia can leave you feeling full because it's high fiber and bulks up when it's added to moisture (it becomes sticky and egg-like). It's also very very high in nutrients and protein so even if it made you feel full, you are eating a very nutrient dense and calorie dense thing so your body is getting a lot of energy and nutrients to go along with your 'full' feeling. I've eating chia throughout my pregnancy (33 weeks now) and think they are an amazing addition, especially since I am vegetarian and am always looking for plant based protein and omega 3 sources (of which Chia is very very high in, in addition to calcium, iron, vit c and antioxidants).

I loved the chia puddings, especially in my first trimester when I was feeling a lot of morning sickness. When you can only eat a little here and there, chia is a good choice in my opinion. Hope this helps!

#9 of 9 Old 04-29-2013, 11:58 AM

I have enjoyed a thick, juice and chia laced tea as a snack a few times in pregnancy now, though it is not a major part of my diet.

When I am hungry only an hour or so away from a big meal, I've found that chia tea is great at substituting what would otherwise e a meal-spoiling snack.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page