What kind of exercise did you do when pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was not that good at exercise, though I did walk very regularly, and with the first I had a job where I was on my feet a lot.

Did anyone continue doing pretty intense exercise?

I took Bradley birth classes and I remember there were exercises involved with that, and I did those, come to think of it. It has been a while so I don't remember all. I think I there was squatting and something where I was on my hands and knees and maybe arched my back. I had a really easy birth that time around, so maybe the exercises helped!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 02-15-2013, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like prenatal pilates, walk away the pounds and some workouts I've seen on youtube I plan on trying out. 

I also take walks with my kids. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#3 of 17 Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 AM

I'm 22 weeks and still running. I have a really hilly 10k coming up next weekend and I completed my second half marathon when I was 17 or 18 weeks. I hope to ve able to continue running well into my 3rd trimester.

I'm also looking for a pilates studio nearby that offers a prenatal class, and next week I start prenatal yoga. Oh, and I commute everywhere by bike. It will be interesting to see how that goes as I continue to get bigger.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#4 of 17 Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 AM

I'm still doing Insanity which I consider to be really intense--I even checked with my midwives to make sure it was ok--and they said go ahead, my body will tell me when enough is enough.  I definitely don't push myself as hard as I did when not pg, I used to be sweating buckets 10 minutes into it, and I'm not sweating as much now.  But I love it b/c its inside and so easy to put on in cold weather, and it works my muscles like nothing else!!!  

#5 of 17 Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 AM

Insanity IS really intense, I'm impressed! How far along are you?

I used to love workout dvds involving high-intensity weight circuits, but we are in a small apartment now so only the livingroom is big enough to work out in, and my 3 year old DD not only refuses to nap, but she also must be all up in someone's business at all times. So at-home workouts are becoming increasingly difficult. Thankfully I live in sunny SoCal. And it also gives me an excuse to spend money on studio classes wink1.gif

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

#6 of 17 Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

I did Crossfit while pregnant.   I had coaches who helped me modify the workouts and I also used crossfitmom.com to adjust things for pregnancy.  I did a 95 pound back squat at 37 weeks and felt great the entire time (well, apart from morning sickness).  No back problems and relatively few joint issues.  You should dial down intensity somewhat during pregnancy, making sure you can talk throughout the workout.  But I definitely credit being in such good shape with making labor, birth, and recovery relatively easy.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#7 of 17 Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 AM

For me, it was different with each pregnancy. 

With my oldest, I did a lot of walking When I was pregnant with #2 and #3, I was actually working at the YMCA (in the childcare), so I did things like the elliptical, the treadmill and some light weight lifting. With the next two, I was back to mostly just walking. 

Now I'm eight months postpartum and though I've joined a gym, I'm not getting much exercise.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#8 of 17 Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 AM

I know I was surprised my midwives weren't worried about it, I described the exercises, they said since my body was used to it, to go ahead and not be too worried or anything.  I'm 15 weeks, and I do a disc every day or every other day.  Ironically though Insanity does NOT keep my weight down--I've gained 10 lbs already anyway.  It makes me bulk up and I'm much hungrier after workouts.  I can't wait to run outside again in warmer weather, I like running much better and it doesn't mess with my appetite.  I'm just really happy I'm sticking with working out this pregnancy!

#9 of 17 Old 02-15-2013, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I do prenatal yoga and sometimes go on the elliptical.  I also walk quite a bit.  We just recently bought a car, but we don't use it to commute to work so I do walking to and from work.  I'm currently on pelvic rest so I can't do any running or jumping.  Those aren't normally my cup of tea anyway, but now I have a valid excuse.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#10 of 17 Old 02-15-2013, 04:39 PM

Yoga, Pilates, Walking, Belly Dancing. Dancing in general...

#11 of 17 Old 03-08-2013, 10:48 AM

Bellydance!  I love Amira's prenatal bellydance/yoga video.

#12 of 17 Old 03-09-2013, 06:07 AM

I am a fit instructor and p. trainer and continue to work out pretty hard during pregnancy.  I still teach and participate in classes like spin, boot camp, sculpt (modifying when I need to, as I get bigger),  I will also continue to run 5-8 miles a week for as long as I feel good, then I will take it to walking.  We hike alot and I LOVE my hot yoga, but am having a hard time deciding if I can/should continue w/ that.....

:) Brenda

(edd #3, 11/10/13)

#13 of 17 Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 AM

This is my 5th pregnancy and the 1st one i have actually worked out thru for what i could. (morning sickness due to vanishing twin) I use kettlebells only about 2-3x a week :) :) Helps my hips sooo much!

Wifey to Z and SAHM to C (12/03) T (7/08) M (4/10) and her irish twin C (4/11)

#14 of 17 Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! You are all so inspiring! :)

#15 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 01:16 PM

I am 29 weeks. Does anyone get that lower pelvis pain/pressure, even while walking briskly? Running makes it bad too. I usually stop running after only about 1/2 mile, because it just gets more intense. It feels like whatever tissue/tendons/ligaments are all along the underside of my belly, just can't really hold the weight, and are protesting. Sometimes I get it when I am even sitting too long, and I get up and pace around to make it better.

I googled and read it is normal. I am just not sure if I should push through it while running/walking or not. Sometimes it makes me walk funny and I literally can't walk normally, like you would walk if your bladder was really full and you were super uncomfortable.

I wanted to keep running though, so I am frustrated.

Is lifting weights safe? I know when I lift free weights, no matter what exercise I'm doing (legs, arms, back, etc), my ab region does tense up, just to support my body during the lift. I worry that is bad for the baby, that tensing up of the ab region? Thoughts? I suppose women were meant to carry things, etc, while pregnant, but something about intentionally lifting heavy things like that, and feeling that tension, seems wrong to me. Not sure how to feel.

#16 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 PM

I get that feeling sometimes while running and have found that a support belt really helps and has made it possible for me to keep running. I'm only 25.5 weeks along, but my belly is huge and out there already, so maybe it could help you too?

#17 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

bobcat-There may be some things you can do to ease the pressure.  I haven't used one of those pregnancy support belts but maybe it would take some of the pressure off your pelvis.  I would also recommend stretching, yoga, massage and chiropractic because they can all help with ligaments and muscles and such. I go to a chiropractor who has special training in working with pregnant women and I find it very helpful.  Also, I was looking at the spinning babies website yesterday and they have some easy stretches you can do every day to help release some tension in the pelvic area. 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page