Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   I'm Pregnant (http://www.mothering.com/forum/19-i-m-pregnant/)
-   -   Best Birth Pain Management program/books, etc... (http://www.mothering.com/forum/19-i-m-pregnant/1374866-best-birth-pain-management-program-books-etc.html)

dayiscoming2006 02-18-2013 05:26 PM

So, any recommendations on books or other materials that give information on natural birth pain management? I'm planning a homebirth and my last birth was pretty harsh on the pain scale at the end, so I'd love to arm myself with more coping techniques if possible. I'm not interested in taking a class because I just don't have the time with 3 kids. 

I'm a Christian and would prefer something that doesn't go against those types of beliefs, nothing too new agey and stuff. 

Thanks! 

earthmoma 02-18-2013 06:40 PM

If you havent already, Ina may has some great books. During labor the water was what saved me. I didnt get in until towards the end and Im not sure I could do it without the water. Also sitting on the toilet with a pillow behind you is another amazing postion. Good Luck smile.gif

dayiscoming2006 02-19-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmoma View Post

If you havent already, Ina may has some great books. During labor the water was what saved me. I didnt get in until towards the end and Im not sure I could do it without the water. Also sitting on the toilet with a pillow behind you is another amazing postion. Good Luck smile.gif

I had all 3 of mine on dry land, but I often wonder about water during transition and pushing maybe... hmm... will research that more. :)

One of Ina May's books is at the library, so I'll have to check that out. See if I can get some useful tips. 

Thanks.

mamazee 02-19-2013 06:40 AM

I took Bradley classes. I had a very easy birth the first time and a very large baby, so I guess it worked well for me. (The second birth was high risk and had some complications so it isn't really relevant.)

dayiscoming2006 02-19-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

I took Bradley classes. I had a very easy birth the first time and a very large baby, so I guess it worked well for me. (The second birth was high risk and had some complications so it isn't really relevant.)

Are the bradley classes very much partner helps you through it? Because I think my husband will be pretty busy caring for the kids and it'll mostly be me and the midwife except for early labor. Anyway, I wouldn't expect him to learn the stuff. He's not really into it. I do have the Bradley book checked out from the library right now. I thought I'd look through it and see if there was anything I could apply to myself and personal situation. 

LilyTiger 02-19-2013 07:43 AM

The Bradley classes really focus on having a partner in general to help you through labor and birth.  I liked my classes, but they are very time intensive and if your husband isn't into it, it might not be terribly worth it.  The main things I found helpful from the classes were the discussions of different positions and how they helped in pain management and proper positioning of the baby.  Pain management techniques like massage, visualization, and warmth/cold were also pretty helpful.  The main benefit of Bradley classes, in my particular case, was to create a kind of captive audience so my husband had to actually learn about the process.  I learned most of what I needed to know from Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, The Dr. Sears Birth Book, and the Bradley readings.  Reinforcing the techniques like low moaning and different positions in class was helpful, but I'm not sure it was necessary.  I do think the videos helped my husband mentally prepare, though he admitted later that he had no idea how difficult labor and birth was going to be for him.  

To echo the PP, water was super super helpful for me.  I had a very difficult labor with back labor and very very slow progression.  We thought I was in transition at home and I was only 2cm when I got to the hospital.  It was really tough. I labored in the water at home when things got unbearable, which gave me enough energy to get to the hospital.  Once there, I labored in the tub until I was fully dilated and ready to push.  It was a lifesaver.  I couldn't have done it without water.  Since you're having a homebirth, you'll be able to be more flexible.  The Birth Book by Sears has a little section on when to get into and out of the water to maximize both contractions and pain relief. 

I think Ina May's Guide to Childbirth would be the most useful for you in your situation.  And it's not New Agey at all, though there are pictures of women laboring naked.  I don't know if that would make it a problem or not.

mamazee 02-19-2013 07:55 AM

My husband was not into it and didn't want to be involved that much, but he did go through it and in the long run was glad he had. It does require a birth coach, however it doesn't have to be the father. I hired a doula as well and she was very helpful. She might have been as big a factor or a bigger factor than the classes.

dayiscoming2006 02-19-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTiger View Post

I think Ina May's Guide to Childbirth would be the most useful for you in your situation.  And it's not New Agey at all, though there are pictures of women laboring naked.  I don't know if that would make it a problem or not.

Thanks a lot. I don't have a problem with naked women in the book though I do think it is unnecessary. :) But, oh well.