Low heart-rates just normal? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-19-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, so I keep thinking back over my last pregnancy, particularly at the end, and the parts of the birth that bothered me.

In the last month or so of pregnancy, every time I had an appointment, the midwife would get concerned about my baby's low HR (typically anywhere from 110-130 IIRC) and send me for an NST.  Luckily my husband was watching my girls (he won't be able to do that for me this time), so it wasn't TOO much of an inconvenience...

I showed up at the hospital less than hour before giving birth, only dilated to 7 - so things did progress really fast.  Anyway, during pushing, they got concerned about the HR again (no I don't have any clue what it was, I was definitely in labor-land and my hubby was too busy trying to help me) and shoved an oxygen mask on me and convinced me to lay on my left side instead of squatting and push as hard as I could.  My midwife was clearly concerned, I think she was pushing on a cervical lip and so forth.

Anyway, I keep going over it and wondering if maybe my little boy's normal HR was just lower than "normal".  I mean, maybe this was all just fine for him?  How would we know that?  Maybe that's something I should talk with my midwives about this time?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Susan, mama to Catherine (June 2008); Becca (April 2010); John (January 2012); and Julia (EDD August 2013)
#2 of 2 Old 02-19-2013, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The 110-130 during pregnancy certainly could be normal for him. Especially if the CTG was reassuring. Unfortunately without knowing what his heart rate was in labour and at what point it was dipping in relation to the contractions I can't comment on that. Definitely things to discuss with your midwife :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page