Glucose Test ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When is the glucose test done? Has anyone requested to drink anything other then the drink they give you? I don't eat candy, drink soda, sweets, etc. I even water down orange juice. I'm really not excited about drinking the sugary yuck they give you. I want to do what's best for baby but also hoping there is an alternative. I am seeing a fill in midwife at my next appointment (21 weeks). I don't know if I will see my midwife before I have to do the test. If not I will send her an email. Thanks for your thoughts/advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

The glucose test isn't usually done until around 28 weeks.  You have time to talk to your midwife.  Some practices allow you to drink fruit juice.  If you have no other risk factors at all, you might be able to get away without doing the test at all, though there are risks to that too. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

I'm confused why I need to take in a massive dose of sugar if it's not something I normally consume.  It seems like it would make more sense to test me after a normal meal (complete with carbs since carbs turn into sugar).  I'd rather poke my finger 3 times a day for a week then drink a massive dose of sugar. 

Old 02-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2becrunchy View Post

I'm confused why I need to take in a massive dose of sugar if it's not something I normally consume.  It seems like it would make more sense to test me after a normal meal (complete with carbs since carbs turn into sugar).  I'd rather poke my finger 3 times a day for a week then drink a massive dose of sugar. 

This is what I am requesting to do.  I also really, really don't like the idea of taking in that much sugar.  As my MW put it, they are working for you, so if you pull up some info supporting the fact that (x) amount of juice, breakfast, whatever is a valid substitution for the drink, then many places will allow you to drink that instead.  I think the most common replacements are jelly beans and welch's grape juice.  i feel like the screening is more to detect people eating a more SAD early so that their dietary habits can be adjusted to avoid the risks associated with GD.  GD does have risks, and it would be good to know if you had it, so it may be worth looking into a little more so that you can have a discussion with your provider and know what the right questions are to ask, and to determine what is applicable for your specific situation.

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Old 02-21-2013, 01:39 PM

I plan to talk to my midwives about testing my sugars instead of doing the glucose test.  Just be sure you eat as you normally do and don't eat extra healthy just because you're monitoring things. You really DO want to know if you have GD, even if you don't eat a lot of sugary things.

In my case, I'm actually concerned that the GTT and the 3 hour test might be missing an actual problem, so I want to be 100% sure everything is ok.  Plus, yeah, it's gross and a huge time sink with 3 little kids at home. ;)

Susan, mama to Catherine (June 2008); Becca (April 2010); John (January 2012); and Julia (EDD August 2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 01:47 PM

My OB allowed me to just do a fasting blood sugar test instead.  That might be an option to discuss

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

OP, I didnt do the glucose test, you dont have to it is NOT legally required.  The ONLY test, as far as i know, that is legally required is your blood work at the beginning of pregnancy.  The nasty sugar filled drink that they give u is NOT health promoting to say the least, there was no doubt in my mind that I would not consume that garbage or feed it to my fetus!!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:48 PM

My MW practice is required by their acceditation agency, and by the state to risk out mommas who have gestational diabetes. The legality of all these things really varies from state to state. If I were to refuse the test, they would assume a positive, and I would be risked out, and have a hospital birth, or be driving to Utah to birth. I am not being forced to take the icky drink, they offered juice instead. I think you have another visit at least, until it is scheduled, as the standard of care is to offer the test b/t 24-48 weeks. I think you can better your chances of not having a false-positive by taking a early-morning appointment and fasting after midnight. Vitamin K is also a supplement that has proven to help with blood-sugar regulation, if you are interested in taking a supplement, or finding it in food sources.

User Tag List