Not getting a diagnostic ultrasound - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm now 24 weeks pregnant, having my second home birth with midwives.  For the last month I've been feeling like I would like just one diagnostic ultrasound to check for placenta placement, if the baby is OK, etc.   I haven't had any ultrasounds so far and have done minimal testing.  I really feel I need the peace of mind.  My problem is, no one will order me a diagnostic ultrasound because I'm having a home birth.  My midwife can't order them anymore and no doctor will order me one.  It's upsetting to me that I'm being refused a test I want. 

My mother had two home births with no doctor, midwives, or ultrasounds.  With my first child I had one at 16 weeks.  I feel like I could go without the ultrasound if I could hear from some other moms who are also not getting ultrasounds or have not had any during a pregnancy.  I'm not sure they are necessary, but it seems a lot of moms believe they are.  I've read about possible risks of ultrasounds, which is why I just wanted the one.  I've read other moms say they don't believe they are necessary, but they also say they've always got at least one done.   

So, who here is not getting any ultrasounds during their pregnancy or has forgoed them before?    

#2 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I would say go with your instincts.  If you feel like you need one to put your mind at ease then do it.  It seems like a doctor should be able to order one for you.  They have ultrasound places you can go to on your own.  They are normally just to find out the gender, but maybe seeing the baby and getting a good look would be enough.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 06:36 PM

With my second baby, first homebirth, I had no ultrasound and was so happy not to have to go through that and put baby at risk.  It was a wonderful healthy pregnancy and birth.

This third pregnancy, I was pressured by my midwife to get one.  I was measuring about 4 weeks ahead and she wanted to rule out twins.  I told her all my instincts are telling me it is not twins and wanted a remeasure.  A junior midwife came to measure me a week before my US appointment and thought I was only measuring 1 week ahead.  Then the senior midwife said I didn't grow enough and needed the US! 

I finally gave into the pressure because I only had one day DH could watch the kids and the thought of switching midwives was overwhelming.  Of course it was not twins and growth is normal.  I really regret it.

I think it is a blessing for you not to have one, BUT I think the most important thing is to follow your instincts.  If your instincts are telling you strongly, don't worry about the cost, convenience, pressures, etc.  That is the lesson I learned.

#4 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 07:13 PM

Does your midwife have a back up doctor? That's how I had mine. I am sure you could make an appt with a local OB to schedule one.
#5 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 PM

Where are you that a doc won't order you a us b/c you are going with midwives? That is strange to me. If the docs are being really weird schedule an appt under the guide that you are changing care and have it ordered then. It may seem underhanded but if you have a gut feeling go with it.
#6 of 15 Old 02-22-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

I live in California.  I've tried 2 OB offices, and both have denied me an ultrasound.  Something about liability.  I'll ask my midwives about a back up doctor, but so far they have not been able to help.  I might just give up getting one.  I'm just afraid being unsure or scared will affect my labor negatively. 

#7 of 15 Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 PM

Where at in CA?
#8 of 15 Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Central coast.  San Luis Obispo, CA.

#9 of 15 Old 02-22-2013, 12:57 PM

Why can't your midwife order them anymore? She should have a relationship with an OB that could order one. I have home birthed in CA and that is how I had a ultrasound.
#10 of 15 Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

The OB she used to order from, who works with midwives, decided home birth was a liability. 

#11 of 15 Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM

Why can't your midwife order them anymore? She should have a relationship with an OB that could order one. I have home birthed in CA and that is how I had a ultrasound.
#12 of 15 Old 02-22-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yay!  My midwife just talked to a doctor and I'll be able to get my ultrasound next week.  I'm glad she came through.  I'm so paranoid and I really think some peace of mind will help me in labor.

Thank you everyone for your input :)

#13 of 15 Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 PM

Thats is great! I hope everything goes well!
#14 of 15 Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 AM

The OB's offices here (in VA) won't order them, either, unless you're paid up with them for a whole prenatal + delivery "package." Very frustrating.  But a midwife here can order one directly - they just write up an order and the local ultrasonographer's office will do it.

I had no U/S with my first baby.  Had one with the next two (because I'd had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy and wanted to ensure babe was in the uterus where she belonged).  None with this pregnancy, so far (I'm 32 weeks).

#15 of 15 Old 03-09-2013, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am glad you were able to get what you wanted!! I hope that like with most people, all is well and you get your peace of mind.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page