Mom's of 2+....active vs non-active pregnancies and PP weight loss?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am hoping someone out there has different pregnancies to compare...an active (moderately....nothing super athletic or anything! LOL) pregnancy as well a a non- or less active pregnancy. I am curious about whether working out DURING pg helped you lose the weight faster after baby compared to not having worked out much, especially if you still gained a lot during.

I am just grasping at straws. I have gained abt 40lbs already this pg despite it being by FAR my most active one yet. I am a high pg weight gainer despite eating/exercise (as was my mom) and hit ~45lbs with each baby but at this rate I will be topping that!

I FEEL pretty good this time though, but what worries me is losing the weight since, while it came off pretty easily after my last 3 (though I did have to give it a little more effort each time), before I got pg with this baby I started having thyroid issues and even when it was controlled I still couldn't lose ANY weight.

Anyway, I am just hoping that having worked out almost daily for this pg (well, starting 2nd tri...after 7 losses the 1st tri is nervewracking enough!!)) might have a positive impact on my PP weight loss despite it not doing me any obvious good- weight wise- DURING pg. LOL. I am no athlete anymore, and am limited by SPD that is difficult to control on me, but I try to get in at least 20-60 min. every day of elliptical/walking and/or free weights and floor work.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#2 of 7 Old 02-22-2013, 12:08 PM

This is happening to me too :(

1st pregnancy: active for a month- lost all my weight by 6 weeks post partum; walked to run errands pp.

2nd pregnancy: walked 2-5 miles a day for about 4-5 months; never lost the weight; didn't have the energy for pp exercise

3rd pregnancy: completely inactive- lost weight within 4 1/2 months and kept going- I started exercising agressively 5 weeks pp

#3 of 7 Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

This is my third pregnancy and for me it has mattered the most whether I breastfed after or not. I gained 40 lbs with #1 and was not active at all, couch potato and ate like crap, like cheetohs and pop crap. She was stillborn at fullterm so I didn't breastfeed but I lost all but 10 lbs of it by 7 weeks PP. #2 I was more active-ish and ate a lot healthier. I lost all but 15 lbs quickly but the last 15 lbs stayed on until after I stopped nursing. With this pregnancy I have eaten off and on healthy and crappy but have been the most active and have a 2 year old to run after but have also gained 35 lbs and am at 31 weeks today. I don't think I will be breastfeeding this one and am expecting (hoping) it to fall off just as fast as before, as in the first 2 months. Especially since I will be more active outside with it being Spring.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#4 of 7 Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyB View Post

This is my third pregnancy and for me it has mattered the most whether I breastfed after or not. I gained 40 lbs with #1 and was not active at all, couch potato and ate like crap, like cheetohs and pop crap. She was stillborn at fullterm so I didn't breastfeed but I lost all but 10 lbs of it by 7 weeks PP. #2 I was more active-ish and ate a lot healthier. I lost all but 15 lbs quickly but the last 15 lbs stayed on until after I stopped nursing. With this pregnancy I have eaten off and on healthy and crappy but have been the most active and have a 2 year old to run after but have also gained 35 lbs and am at 31 weeks today. I don't think I will be breastfeeding this one and am expecting (hoping) it to fall off just as fast as before, as in the first 2 months. Especially since I will be more active outside with it being Spring.

Unfortunately BF'in doesn't seem to affect it for me. I nursed through all but my first pregnancy and tandem and triandem nursed after the babies, and I wish I could say it made a difference either way, bur considering how I GAINED after DS stopped nursing (unnaturaly, really, because of an ectopic surgery and I physically could not nurse) at 2 years PP I don't think it was causing me to hold onto weight either.

That's why I am hoping I can rely a little on the work I have done during this pg.

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#5 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM

Try magnesium.  It can calm nerves, give energy, prevent morning sickness, help SPD and -- weight loss.

I was severely mag deficient (but didn't know at the time) with my third pregnancy.  Had the worst morning sickness, energy, pain of any of them, hardest labor of the two home births (though quick) and never really lost the weight.  I had gained 30 lbs. and lost about 20 of it quickly then just never lost the rest no matter what I did.  (Not cool because my clothes really NEVER fit!)

Got pregnant with #4 last summer and immediately began supplementing with mag, plus an herbal multivitamin and cod liver oil.  I didn't gain any weight for the first 20 weeks despite my body obviously changing and baby growing well.  I've now gained 15 or so lbs. (lowest weight gain ever, although I have never gained more than 20 - 30 -- I am past 38 weeks).  I expect baby weight will be easy to lose.

When your hormones are out of balance and you are deficient in nutrients your body will not lose the weight.  You need vit A, D, and mag in balance and it will help with thyroid and weight loss.  That is what the mag and cod liver oil are for.  I use mag lotion topically and as I have gotten further along I have needed more and more of it.

#6 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

I take CLO/BO daily, and magnesium almost every day (not quite as much when I am drinking a lot of RRL tea).

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

#7 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 02:05 PM

I am curious about this as well. I'm already up 28 lbs at only 21 weeks... even though I've been more active this pregnancy than my last 3 and I have been eating decent, not overindulging, especially in comparison to my other pregnancies. I have no idea what the deal is. I take my supplements, but not as regularly as I probably should. I'll get on that. 

Gained 60 lbs with first pregnancy, ate pretty crappy and a lot. Took eating for 2 literally and thought exercise might be dangerous... yeah, didn't do my research and was mainstream. 

Was down 47 lbs from highest pregnancy weight with number one by the time I was pregnant with number 2, but still quite overweight...

Gained 25 lbs with second pregnancy, wasn't particularly active, lost a good chunk by the time I was pregnant with number 3, but still a bit overweight. 

Gained 44 lbs with that pregnancy, most in the second and third trimester. Got down to a healthy BMI (158) but above my preferred weight by about 10-15 lbs still. 

Thought, well this one, I'll keep active eat well and stay in a better weight zone... so far 28 lbs up, like I said... Don't know what to do about it, just depressing, but I figure being active and keeping up with pilates will be helpful for aches and pains, overall health for me and baby and for PP recovery. I don't know how fast the weight will come off, but I know it will eventually...

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page