Missed miscarriage or wrong dates - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, this is my first post and first pregnancy. I found out I was pregnant 5 weeks ago. My test said 3+ weeks so thought I was now about 11 weeks. I experienced bleeding Wednesday night so went to A&E to get checked out. They booked me for an emergency scan for the next morning to check my pregnancy wasn't eptopic. At the scan the sonographer told us our baby was only measuring at 5w+6 and that it was too soon for a heart beat. I was told I needed a scan the next week to see if there was any growth to show whether the pregnancy was viable. The doctor did an internal and said my cervix was still closed and that my dates could be wrong due to an irregular period. He took my bloods to see how my hcg level compared and I was told to go back next week for another scan and assessment as it was inconclusive. He sounded fairly positive but I went away disheartened as the gap between now and my last period just seemed too big.

Woke up this morning to brown discharge. Phoned the midwife who told me to go back to the hospital to get it checked. Was luckily only there an hour. They told me my bloods Showed a hcg of 11,000 which was inline with the new dates. They also did another internal and said my cervix was still closed so maybe the bleeding was just "one of those things"

I came home to more blood than I've had before but wasn't sure if it was due to the internal disrupting what was just settling from this morning.

I'm so scared each time I go to the toilet I am worried I will see more blood. It's only when I wipe after I wee so not needing a towel. I find it so hard as the hospital don't seem phased by the blood as my cervix being closed seems to reassure them.

I am so confused whether I should be grieving my baby and can't understand how the doctors can be so confident when nothing seems to make sense to me. I have 3 more days until my next scan where I hear my babies fate. I'm back to work tomorrow and just don't know how I am going to cope x
#2 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 01:35 PM

Sorry you have to go through this. The only thing that will give you any for sure knowledge is the scan. I hope you get answers soon and I hope it will be a good answer. I knew I was having a miscarriage because my test went from positive to negative with my early loss. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#3 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 06:04 AM

I'm not a medical professional but what you describe (little bleeding when you wipe) sounds to me like spotting. A good friend of mine had spotting for her whole first trimester and baby was completely viable. She had a beautiful, healthy 7lb girl at term with no complications whatsoever. The fact that your cycles are irregular make it plausible that you ovulated much later than you thought and your dates are simply inaccurate. I can very much relate to that. I'm 18 weeks now and ovulated 2 weeks later than is normal for me! In fact this baby is earlier than we'd planned because I thought there was no way I was fertile at the time. Baby measured small on my first scan and it was simply a case of bad dates. So far everything is fine and baby is growing well.
I hope you get good news! The fact that your hcg was at the right level for the US dates is a reassuring detail in my opinion. I'm so sorry you have to go through the waiting and uncertainty. hug.gif
dayiscoming2006 likes this.
#4 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 AM

My dates were two weeks off with my son and I bled the whole first trimester. It happens but is not normal. March of dimes says once you are bleeding its a 1 out of five chance the pregnancy will be successful. But sounds like you could just be experiencing implantation bleeding. Good luck!
#5 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 AM

Well, I read from other sources it can be a 50/50 chance, not 1 in 5, but either way. I hope it all works out and you get answers soon.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#6 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your messages. I was back up the hospital this morning as the show appear darker and thicker. (Still not enough to fill a towel and only when I wipe). They done an internal and my cervix is still closed. They said there is blood there but it's not bright red. Waiting for the doctor to call me with my new hcg results and have been put on bed rest until the scan. Hope to hear from them shortly and if levels are higher then I will take it as positive news until my scan on Thursday. They wouldn't rescan me today as they said there has to be a 7 day break between scans as a minimum
#7 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

As the previous posters said, it can be rather common to have spotting in early pregnancy and still go on to have a healthy baby.  Your HCG levels sound very good.  Blood tests and ultrasounds are much more definitive than a home pregnancy test.  I know it's hard and stressful, but try to take it easy and breathe.  You'll have more information very soon.  I hope everything works out great!  hug2.gif

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#8 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Hi

Unfortunately we found out this morning that my levels have dropped significantly and we have lost our baby.

Completely heartbroken but live in hope that we will be blessed again the the future
#9 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs . Take good care of yourself and surround yourself with love.
#10 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 12:20 PM

So sorry to hear. hug2.gif

#11 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I'm so sorry mumma!  hug2.gif  That is always hard to deal with.  I wish you healing and peace.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#12 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 PM

I am so sorry.greensad.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page