What are you eating? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 03-24-2013, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I also follow a primal diet but even though I'm still early (barely 5 weeks) I'm finding I crave more carbs -- like I had rice for lunch today which I like never do -- and vegetables are way less appealing to me than they were even just a week ago. But for breakfast I'm still doing my usual scrambled eggs or smoked salmon omelet and earl gray tea with full-fat cream (since it's only 40 mg of caffeine I figure I'm ok!?!?), lunch is usually a spinach salad or chicken with rice and dinner is usually some kind of primal concoction with meat and veggies. We definitely "cheat" on the weekends but now that I'm prego, my goal is to be way more strict about it.  

I intend to stick pretty faithfully to primal through the whole thing since I feel much better on that diet and I don't want to compound pregnancy fatigue with the fatigue I inevitably feel when carb loading and eating a bunch of junk. Not to mention I've read lots of anecdotal evidence from primal mamas who have found it easy to lose pregnancy pounds by sticking with the diet. Plus I've done loads of research and I'm convinced the diet is healthier for baby too. I've read a lot of Chris Kessler's Healthy Baby Code and this is interesting for any primal/paleo leaning prego ladies out there.

One thing I've definitely noticed over the past few days -- I'm waaaay hungrier and feel like I want to hurl if I don't eat every few hours. 

Good luck sticking with your healthy eating plans, ladies!

Me(29) + DH(29) married 8.2010 | MC 4.2013 | Expecting #1 2.2014

#32 of 54 Old 03-24-2013, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was doing paleo until about six weeks in and then I was like "BARF!" I had to add carbs or I just wouldn't eat. Sooooo, if I do rice I try to soak it for 24 hrs first, and if I do bread I do a local sourdough. Any sweets gotta be really good quality (except the Cadbury eggs I snuck in a couple days ago... Oops...)

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#33 of 54 Old 03-24-2013, 09:03 AM

I was primal up until the morning sickness, then it all went to hell. But I'm getting back into it again now that I'm feeling a little better. I'm currently eating a plate of bacon and it's yummy!

#34 of 54 Old 03-24-2013, 10:49 AM

The protein powder I am using is called LaSante Natural Products Whey Protein.

I just ate a bowl of ice-cream. Is that paleo? I'm pretty sure a caveman would eat it if offered LOL. Oh, well...

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#35 of 54 Old 03-24-2013, 01:59 PM

I am currently 5 weeks and I have no MS or anything yet, I am waiting though, and nothing sounds good. I keep eating spinach and strawberry salads, scrambled eggs, and veggies. Although I have been eating way too much ice cream and I am already gaining, which is not good! This is my 5th pregnancy so I expect to show earlier, but if I can avoid adding a lot of unnecessary hip/butt weight that would be lovely. Since I'm feeling ok, last week I wasn't, I'm going to start back up with my exercise routine. 

#36 of 54 Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

The protein powder I am using is called LaSante Natural Products Whey Protein.

I just ate a bowl of ice-cream. Is that paleo? I'm pretty sure a caveman would eat it if offered LOL. Oh, well...

Haha. Grok would totally eat ice cream! Especially a whole food version. I'm dying to do a coconut milk ice cream with my kitchen aid mixer. I wish I could afford that attachment right now. Hrmm maybe it's a good thing I can't. Lol.

I've gained nothing. I'm losing weight but I have lots extra and currently look 6 months along. Out in public I just fake it and let my belly show with a cute maternity shirt. Might as well capitalize on the situation. smile.gif

I ate so much bread and goat cheese this weekend I might float away from bloating. Gluten really screws me up. I KNOW this now. Money has been so tight and bread is cheap! So yeah-- need to get on board with whole foods stat!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#37 of 54 Old 03-24-2013, 10:23 PM

Oh yeah I totally look six months. But then again, I looked six months before I got pregnant! LOL okay maybe three months..

I have an ice cream maker. Hmmmmm.....

joy.gif

#38 of 54 Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 PM

Ommmm I'm eating a perfect dinner right now! Black bean burger cut up with brown rice, broccoli, peas, string beans, corn, carrots, and a spicy peanut sauce! I'm in heaven!
#39 of 54 Old 03-25-2013, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yum! What kind of black bean burger? I have wic and know I've got some black beans in my cupboard somewhere!

Oh lol dalia-- we should compare bellies. I think I look pregnant but feel like others would never know because I looked pretty much the same for the last year. Boo.

I had lays dipped in cottage cheese. DH was supposed to warm up brown rice pasta with meatballs but he is failing in the Mr. Mom dept... Grrrr!

#40 of 54 Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post

Yum! What kind of black bean burger? I have wic and know I've got some black beans in my cupboard somewhere!

Oh lol dalia-- we should compare bellies. I think I look pregnant but feel like others would never know because I looked pretty much the same for the last year. Boo.

I had lays dipped in cottage cheese. DH was supposed to warm up brown rice pasta with meatballs but he is failing in the Mr. Mom dept... Grrrr!

Clearly DH's fault. You were forced to eat lays!!

joy.gif

#41 of 54 Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 AM

Congrats! I have a suggestion just for the YIs do try probiotics either in pill, yogurt, or kiefer you can get lemon flavor which is very palatable for first trimester. It seemed to help me a ton and helped get some sort of protein nutrition down.  Quinwa seemed to help me get around the ad version to meat proteins. Hope the first trimester goes quickly then you feel better.

#42 of 54 Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 PM

Typically, your caloric needs don't change much in early pregnancy, just your nutritional ones. You should be taking a good pre-natal vitamin, iron if your dr recommends it, and eating right.

Stay away from trans fats, salt, and sugar. Remember the "thirds" plan for eating. 1/3 of your plate should be protein(eggs and meat), 1/3 slow carbs(vegetables), 1/3 fast carbs (foods with natural sugars such as fruits and also grains). And never go more than 2-3 hours without eating. Your snacks should consist of fruit, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc. Whey protein is also a good snack because it is nutritious and you can mix it with low fat milk and ice in the blender and make a shake from it.

Resisting cravings for donuts and candy with substitutes like Skinny Cow chocolate and low-carb, low-fat ice cream, frozen yogurt, or sorbet will help you keep from gaining too much weight. You should only gain about 35 pounds, with the majority of that being gained in the last trimester when the baby begins to gain his or her weight. Considering you will lose 25-35 pounds during birth, just think how quickly you'll get your figure back and you'll be the healthiest mama and baby on the block!

#43 of 54 Old 03-28-2013, 12:15 PM

I have to disagree on low fat milk. Both the mother and baby need saturated fats; it's very important for brain development.

dalia and ultrafighter like this.
#44 of 54 Old 03-28-2013, 01:18 PM

I am a vegan and so far have avoided most tummy troubles. Almost all whole foods have some protein in it but some of my go tos are quinoa ( amazing whole protein grain), beans, lentils, nuts/nut butter, hemp seeds.
I think breakfast is crucial...I start with a veggie/fruit smoothie (kale, banana, Apple, orange, cucumber, zucchini, frozen blueberries/strawberries, chia seeds ( great source of omega), hemp seeds, a touch of blackstrap molasses ( iron source) and coconut water). I will also have small bowl of steel cut oatmeal made with canned organic pumpkim and rice milk topped with hemp seeds ( you can make large batch of those every few days and reheat). I will also have a slice of bread with nut butter and a bit of jam. This really gets my day going:).
I think my diet has helped me to keep my weight gain right on course and I feel great at 25 weeks. Here is hoping it lasts:) Exercise is also crucial...when I do a tough workout I will drink a protein shake. I love PlantFusion. It's a whole foods based shake that tastes ok:) I also can add to smoothiea when I need to.
Good luck!
#45 of 54 Old 03-28-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettlesoup View Post

I have to disagree on low fat milk. Both the mother and baby need saturated fats; it's very important for brain development.

I'm with nettlesoup on this one! Whole fat milk is the BOMB. (Yes, I am old and that was the coolest saying I could come up with)

I also eat lots of fatty fish and meat, butter, coconut oil and even lard! But I am NOT hating on vegans/vegetarians. I think if it works for you that is awesome.

Now if I could only cut back on the ice-cream...

joy.gif

#46 of 54 Old 03-28-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yay the nausea has mostly left the building! I felt a bit barfy this afternoon and got DH to start dinner but I'm currently eat my 1st primal meal in a good month!

Roasted chicken and green beans. Might have to make flourlless peanut butter cookies to reward myself. Lol.

#47 of 54 Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Might have to make flourlless peanut butter cookies to reward myself. Lol.

Ummm... Recipe please!!!

joy.gif

#48 of 54 Old 03-29-2013, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Beware-- these are really freaking good! A bit rich for me so I could only have like 2 and I was so good and used rapadura instead of granulated sugar! wink1.gif

http://joythebaker.com/2009/04/flourless-peanut-butter-cookies/
dalia likes this.

#49 of 54 Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Beware-- these are really freaking good! A bit rich for me so I could only have like 2 and I was so good and used rapadura instead of granulated sugar! wink1.gif

http://joythebaker.com/2009/04/flourless-peanut-butter-cookies/

Ima make 'em today!

joy.gif

#50 of 54 Old 03-30-2013, 11:26 AM

I'm a primal eater, too.  I haven't altered my eating habits and I think that's why my morning sickness is staying in check.  This is my third pregnancy and with my previous two, I had intense but manageable sickness in my first trimester.  I've been strict paleo for four months prior to getting pregnant.  I was probably averaging around 100 grams of carbs a day.  I had never cheated.  When I found out I was pregnant, I got more liberal with my fruit and added sweet potatoes as a regular menu item.  Before conceiving, I only ate sweet potatoes before or after a hard workout.  I honestly attribute my minimal nausea to the fact that my blood sugar is in check.  I struggle sometimes to get my greens down but I am craving good, clean meat.  On an average day, this is roughly what my diet looks like:

Breakfast - Two local duck eggs, soft boiled, a piece of fruit

Lunch - four to six ounces of local organic, pastured protein over greens with avocado, cucumber, tomatoes with oil and balsamic

Dinner - another four to six ounces of local organic, pastured protein with a green vegetable and sweet potato or some kind of squash

I'm totally dairy free so I'm taking a calcium supplement.  I also take a prenatal multi and an iron supplement, although I doubt I need the iron.  I'm mostly drinking water with the occasional mineral water and herbal tea.  I'm not really snacking but I do eat nuts when I need to.  I haven't missed a single meal yet.  Sometimes I feel queasy before I eat, but I know I'll feel better when I'm done.  The ONLY day I've felt truly bad happened when I ate about a tablespoon of dark chocolate (nut free, dairy free, soy free) chips the night before.  At this point in my previous pregnancies I'd lost at least five pounds from not eating.  I'm hoping to stay paleo throughout my entire pregnancy!  :)

#51 of 54 Old 03-31-2013, 11:38 AM

I like whole grain couscous, it takes just 5 minutes to prepare (literally) and is a good source of protein!

I also like lots of whole fat milk for protein, and fortified cocunut and almond milk for calcium.

Make sure you are getting enough protein, I just found out we need 70-80 grams and I average maybe half that amount. Yikes!

#52 of 54 Old 03-31-2013, 11:39 AM

I personally prefer whole, raw milk, I love the creamy good taste of it, but since fat comes in butter, margarine, nuts, hamburger and other cuts of meat, as well as the oils we cook with, it's pretty easy to fulfill the fat grams requirements, (about 55 gr per day), and to actually exceed it quite easily. It's the types of fat we really need to watch, and the reason America is the fattest country in the world, and the most unhealthy.

#53 of 54 Old 03-31-2013, 11:49 AM

Try Whey Protein, it has 26 gr. of protein per serving. It comes in chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. You can blend it with water or milk with ice for a shake, or get the plain kind and add it to foods like mashed potatoes or cottage cheese. It is one of the best sources of protein, and has only about 140 calories per serving.

#54 of 54 Old 04-01-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RieMcGaha View Post

Try Whey Protein, it has 26 gr. of protein per serving. It comes in chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. You can blend it with water or milk with ice for a shake, or get the plain kind and add it to foods like mashed potatoes or cottage cheese. It is one of the best sources of protein, and has only about 140 calories per serving.

Bought some at Sprouts and having some with milk and fresh strawberries. Hope it keeps the hunger at bay. It's been crazy being hungry immediately after eating because I couldn't eat much! Frustrating.

Tags
Pregnancy , Healthy Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page