What are you eating? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 03-01-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas!

I'd like to start a thread about what you all are eating whilst pregnant, I'm almost 10wks in my first trimester. I've found that I am *not* doing well on a traditional foods diet, I've been eating grains (gluten-free atleast!) everyday, especially breakfast!

I really need to get in some healthy foods that don't make me want to gag! I'm worried about sugar, I had a raging YI last pregnancy and because of the drastic change in diet, I'm already itchy. TMI sorry! 

I'm guessing lots of mamas on here are going through the same thing. I'm determined not to eat junk and keep the weight gain in check if I can, my first pregnancy I gained 50 pounds! I now have a beautiful 3yo to show for it though! energy.gif

So I'll start:

A bowl of gorilla crunchies (GF) with a few strawberries, whole fat milk.

Cup of Tevana Sweet Asian Pear white tea (barely enough caffine for me to worry about 1 cup)

Lunch? I'd like to eat a salad with some animal protein which just totally grosses me out!

Dinner? Oh I can't even think that far ahead!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#2 of 54 Old 03-01-2013, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I found non-meat protein sources to be a little more palatable during the first trimester.  Nuts and beans were great!  I ate a lot of hummus and crackers and almonds and sunflower nut butter.  Ground meats were fine when whole cuts made me gag.  Some veggies gave me trouble, but citrus fruits were great for the taste and to take the edge of nausea.  A good breakfast for me was a tortilla with nut butter, raisins and a banana rolled up.  I would suggest adding more protein to your breakfast.  And always carry a snack with you.  Greek yogurt has lots of protein in it and can be a great snack if it doesn't make you want to hurl.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 54 Old 03-01-2013, 01:13 PM

Oh man you sound just like me OP!! I had Gestational Diabetes last time, gained 60 lbs and ended up with a very healthy 11 lb baby!!!!! Okay, I DO NOT want to go that route again LOL. But... And this is the part where you sound like me... I am really struggling with keeping my traditional foods diet. :-/ I am wanting carbs a lot which is scaring me because I do not want to end up with diabetes again.

At least I'm soaking my grains. :-/ LOL

Best of luck to you. I'll be watching this thread for ideas. Sorry I didn't have much to offer, just commiserating with you!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#4 of 54 Old 03-01-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Great idea to get beans in and duh, I didn't even think of hummus! Going to pick some up today. I'm totally craving sandwiches and salads are not revolting. So I'm just going to go for it and keep the portions in check.

I've been eating Fage with the mix in every single day so I've got that covered. Wish I could stand eggs-- I used to love them. I'll stick with nitrate-free deli meat and ground.

Thanks ladies!

#5 of 54 Old 03-01-2013, 06:39 PM

Hopefully you'll feel better soon, too!  That always comforts me in the first trimester, when I feel "bad" for not eating well.  As soon as the nausea lets up (thankfully a week ago for me!), I can start eating normally again! Enjoyed a wonderful salad tonight and actually ate eggs yesterday!  Eat the little bits of healthy you can, when you feel okay, and once you feel better, make it more of a focus.

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#6 of 54 Old 03-02-2013, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have been having a hard time curbing my sweet tooth this pregnancy. I usually love salads and fresh fruits and veggies, but for some reason, I've just had the grossest feeling when having to constantly CHEW. How lazy that sounds! But I feel like I can't eat enough of all the good stuff to be healthy. 

So I started juicing and I've seen a huge difference in my energy level. I also eat a lot of hummus and multi seed crackers, berries, etc. And when I crave carbs, I try to make some whole grain brown rice and sautee some veggies in coconut oil with it. 

That said, I'm still up 30 lbs. in my 7th month. I've never gained so much...but I feel ok and haven't been eating too poorly. It is discouraging though. 

jess-  capturing His creation from behind my Nikon and nurturing what bit of it He gave me when He made me a mother.

www.thehodgepodgedarling.blogspot.com

#7 of 54 Old 03-03-2013, 06:12 AM

Breakfast: We have been buying the best golden eggs from a farmer and we scramble them up with bacon fat. I have that, sprouted grain toast and some fruit. 

Snack: Fruit fruit fruit and more fruit! Sometimes cheese or a glass of milk. 

Lunch: All sorts of things. Leftover soup, salad with greens and avocado, simple tacos....whatever is healthy and laying around. 

Snack: Nuts, fruit, raw veggies, yogurt...

Dinner: Meat, salad, broccoli...or sometimes soup, salad, tacos, burritos, homemade pizza, free range burgers...

Snack: FRUIT

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#8 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Vermontgirl: I want to be eating like you! Instead all I want is yogurt (fage is fantastic but there is all that sugar in the fruit mixin!) and sandwiches. Lol. Sandwiches!!! I really get some tummy issues from bread tho. I need a good gluten free bread recipe.

#9 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 05:47 PM

In the past two days, I have eaten an entire tub of plain Greek yogurt. I made onion dip out of it and added finely chopped kale. Dipped in veggies and crackers. IT WAS AWESOME.

But now it is gone. :-( I am sad.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#10 of 54 Old 03-05-2013, 01:27 AM

I envy those of you who are managing to eat healthily!

I follow the Primal diet, but since the morning sickness started, it has been very difficult to follow. I'm eating coco pops for breakfast every day and often porridge with syrup as well. On the positive side my main meals are healthy things like roasts, stew, curry or homemade burgers without buns. But I am eating far too much sugar and snacking on things like crisps and sweet things. The worst part is that I'm drinking fizzy juice because it helps me feel better.

If my morning sickness would ever go away, I could go back to eating healthily, but apparently the nausea wants to stay.

#11 of 54 Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 AM

This has really been a struggle for me the past couple weeks. I am the cook in our house. Usually, I love cooking. It's often been my stress reliever and my preferred mode of expressing my creativity. And when I cook, it's usually quite healthy - a lean protein and a couple different vegetable sides. Very little pasta or flour-based carbs, mostly rices and potatoes when we want a starch. DW does not really cook at all. And why would she when she has no urge to and I've always been happy to take it on? Well, lately it's been an issue. I've either been too exhausted or too grossed out by the smells of food to cook. It's resulted in a lot more take-out meals than I would like. I'm trying to accept that perhaps it makes sense to start keeping a larger stash of "healthy" brands of prepared foods in the freezer for those nights so that we don't wind up ordering from the chain restaurant down the street.

So, my days usually start out healthy and then deterioriate after that. A cup of greek yogurt with granola for breakfast. A banana and/or granola bar around 10am. Some sort of leftovers for lunch. Then the cravings start to kick in. A bagel with cream cheese, an ice cream sandwich, or cheese toast can find it's way into my afternoon snack. Dairy and carbs, dairy and carbs. And then dinnertime comes. It's impossible to predict whether I will feel up to cooking dinner, and if there's nothing I'm finding appetizing that day in my freezer (I freeze a lot of homemade soups), then we inevitably grab the menus... 

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#12 of 54 Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post

Hi mamas!

I'd like to start a thread about what you all are eating whilst pregnant, I'm almost 10wks in my first trimester. I've found that I am *not* doing well on a traditional foods diet, I've been eating grains (gluten-free atleast!) everyday, especially breakfast!

I really need to get in some healthy foods that don't make me want to gag! I'm worried about sugar, I had a raging YI last pregnancy and because of the drastic change in diet, I'm already itchy. TMI sorry! 

I'm guessing lots of mamas on here are going through the same thing. I'm determined not to eat junk and keep the weight gain in check if I can, my first pregnancy I gained 50 pounds! I now have a beautiful 3yo to show for it though! energy.gif

I'm only 4 weeks pregnant, so no MS yet. Things that have worked well for me in the past, on a TF diet, is smoothies (you can hide all kinds of goodies in there), or snacking instead of big meals, usually i could manage a small portion of meat/eggs but not a full portion; loaded baked potatoes.

i know what you mean about the weight, my first 2 pregnancies i gained 60 lbs (first time on the brewer diet, the second time on a TF diet). My last pregnancy I *only* gained 40 lbs. by eating a 'carb lite' diet for the second half. I had so much more energy and lost the weight much quicker, it was nice. I really hope to do that again.  I did eat sprouted bread, rice, potatoes, fruit. but mostly managed to eat no refined stuff, and to eat smaller portions of the carbs i did eat. But again, that was in the second half of my pregnancy, after the MS was past. I had my worst MS with that preg (my first I threw up once, my 2nd I threw up never, my third i lost count) because we had been remodeling our kitchen right before i got preg and i hadn't been really cooking for 6 months. This time I've actually been eating really good for the past 6 months, so I'm hoping things will go better.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#13 of 54 Old 03-05-2013, 10:37 AM

Smoothies are a great idea; I need to start making them again to get more nutrition into me. I used to have them all the time, but haven't in ages.

#14 of 54 Old 03-05-2013, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

In the past two days, I have eaten an entire tub of plain Greek yogurt. I made onion dip out of it and added finely chopped kale. Dipped in veggies and crackers. IT WAS AWESOME.

But now it is gone. :-( I am sad.

You can stand onions? They are hard for me right now but mmmm in an onion dip... Or a ranch... Anything creamy is really good in my brain right now. Can you tell me how you made it?

And nettle yes. Me too. I had rice crispy treats last night and convinced myself it was better than glutinous cookies. *sigh* I remember when strawberries plain without sugar was a treat. And I got a raging YI right off the bat from the huge changes since becoming prego. So unfair!

Today was better. I actually ate eggs and toast and made hash browns. Then had a pretty decent dinner of teriyaki beef, veggies and rice from a local place called Flame Broiler. I think I might even cook something tomorrow!

#15 of 54 Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 AM

The onion dip does sound fantastic. I'm inspired smile.gif

I'm eating relatively well this time around, lots of fruits & raw veggies, and cheese- craving the right stuff, I guess, and MS hasn't been as bad as it has been during other pregnancies. I have had quite a bit of pasta, and some pretty fatty cravings, but usually I get an AWFUL sweet tooth and it's all I can do to keep from eating brownies for dinner every night. So I'm glad that's not happening wink1.gif

Blueberries are starting to show up at the grocery store again, and I've been eating them by the bucket. Oh, and custard- I'm making a lot of it, reducing the sugar some so it's not super dessert-like.

I've been jonesing for shrimp this week and still haven't scratched that itch.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#16 of 54 Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post

Vermontgirl: I want to be eating like you! Instead all I want is yogurt (fage is fantastic but there is all that sugar in the fruit mixin!) and sandwiches. Lol. Sandwiches!!! I really get some tummy issues from bread tho. I need a good gluten free bread recipe.

Thanks! I am not taking a prenatal vitamin (besides the prenatal DHA) and I really want to make sure that I am getting all the food groups in. I do treat myself sometimes to a pastry or some dark chocolate. 

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#17 of 54 Old 03-06-2013, 05:55 AM

Apparently proper sourdough bread can be tolerated by those with gluten intolerance and even celiacs. I'm gluten intolerant and am going to give sourdough bread a go at the weekend.

http://www.cheeseslave.com/top-10-reasons-to-eat-real-sourdough-bread-even-if-youre-gluten-intolerant/

I don't know how accurate it is, but it might be worth experimenting with.

#18 of 54 Old 03-06-2013, 07:32 AM

Sourdough is yummy....

I made the dip from an instant packet. :-/ Not wonderful but hey, it did get all that plain yogurt and kale down my throat, didn't it? I think the brand is called Simply Organic or something...
Yesterday, I chopped up a banana and put it with some honey Greek yogurt and chia seeds. Mmmmmm

joy.gif

#19 of 54 Old 03-07-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to get a starter for sourdough at cultures for health or try and find one through my holistic moms group. I had no idea celiacs can have sourdough. That is really my favorite type of bread and I've made loaves before! Yay!

The last couple of days have been better. I'm eating sprouted wheat berry bread and no nitrate deli meat. Made a cabbage and Italian sausage soup from this awesome cookbook, "Essential Pepin" he's like the best French chef ever.

Going to make homemade hollidaise sauce tomorrow. Pouched eggs are agreeing with me. I was at Trader Joes passing the wine section and instead of being nauseated I started to miss the favorite brands I used to buy. Darn it! But it won't be that long before I can have that beloved glass so I'm going to focus on eating the best food I can afford.

#20 of 54 Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 AM

Why do you need to buy a starter when you can make one at home? I noticed a lot of people do that. Does it mean it's more active straight away?

#21 of 54 Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 AM

Great thread. I have this issue where when I'm pregnant I just don't want anything at all. Well that's not entirely true, I often want junk! Normally my diet is really good - gluten free, lots of fruits and veggies. I gained 30 and 35 my last two pregnancies, which is fine but I would like to eat better overall. I have been looking at smoothie recipes since I do seem to be able to get those down. I usually have a green smoothie a day but I'm going to try to add another smoothie I think when I'm not eating much else. Also trying to find healthy sweet ones for my sweet cravings!

Kate ~~ Mama to my adorable boy A (7/09) bikenew.gifand funny girl G (4/11) diaper.gif

Cautiously expecting #3 in November!

****5*joy.gif**10****15****20****25****30****35****40

We are a happy treehugger.gifwinner.jpg asl.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif family!

#22 of 54 Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Just had a smoothy today. It helped but I was STARVING an hour later. I can't eat very much at any given time and ugh am still getting nauseated over smells! Steady diet of Fage over here. *sigh*

#23 of 54 Old 03-09-2013, 12:02 AM

Dalia, I tried the Greek yogurt- kale onion dip and it was wonderful. Unfortunately I ate it with a whole bag of potato chips. *cringe* DP loved it, too.

I've been making smoothies, too, tillymonster. So yummy. Sorry you're having such a rough time still. I'm having the hardest time with nausea at night, probably hunger related.

Tonight I ate a chicken pot pie from a local organic bakery, and it was pretty good but it left me missing homemade pot pie. So much more effort, but soooo much more delicious.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#24 of 54 Old 03-09-2013, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Ooooh pot pie! Way too much work though!!! Give me a recipe and I might have to try. I decided to make homemade hollidase for eggs which made me feel so sick eating it. That really sucked because I put so much effort in making it. Cooking is a disaster most of the time which is hard because I was cooking all day long!!!

Nettle-- no I guess I could make a starter but a good established one makes life easier and the bread taste better. How do you make it?

Oh I am buying Greek yogurt, dip mix and kale. Yum. Yum and more yum!!! I'm discovering that I like raw veg when I couldn't stand them with DD. Ate 2 plates of salad at souplantation! It's the freshness and mild flavor that do it for me. Anything rich is hard.

I hope I am not sick tomorrow. Tired of this.

#25 of 54 Old 03-10-2013, 03:29 AM

Ah, I see. The recipe I'm going to use involves putting half strong white flour and half rye flour with the same amount of water, and then leaving it somewhere warm for 24 hours. Then you add more flour and water every day, putting some of the mix in the bin when there's too much. I think by a week it should be pretty active and useable.

#26 of 54 Old 03-10-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

Dalia, I tried the Greek yogurt- kale onion dip and it was wonderful. Unfortunately I ate it with a whole bag of potato chips. *cringe* DP loved it, too.

That's AWESOME. Hahaha
I am already over the dip thing. The idea of it is sickening now. :-(
Everything except junk seems gross. Sigh...

joy.gif

#27 of 54 Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Speaking of junk... Yeah it's not doing the trick this time. I ate some baked cheese curls from TJs and they made me feel ill. They also had a weird chemical flavor? I'm taking them back.

It seems like no matter what I eat-- healthy or not-- I feel sick afterward! It's total torture right now.

Salads and fruit are usually ok but I'm so lazy and don't want to take the time to make them. Pathetic I know. Ideas for me here?

#28 of 54 Old 03-23-2013, 07:08 PM

I was feeling so lousy and then I went to my naturopath and got some good protein powder. So, in the morning I make a blender full of:
Frozen banana
Apple (with peel)
Frozen blueberries
Avocado
Plain yogurt
Chia seeds
Coconut oil
Kale
Whole milk

I blend it all up. Might need some raw honey if the protein powder isn't sweetened. Anyway, I drink it all day and right before bed. It has worked WONDERS for me. I was getting really bad headaches but this took care of it. And if I start to feel kinda nauseous I drink it.

My doc told me extra B-6 helps with morning sickness. I haven't needed it but I thought I would mention it. :-)

joy.gif

#29 of 54 Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Dalia-- thank you! I will try this! What is the brand of protein powder? I'm going to go to my ND and get a b12 shot and will pick up some powder while I'm there.

#30 of 54 Old 03-23-2013, 10:52 PM

I am doing a b-12, b-complex and magnesium shot as well! I give them to myself every week. It HURTS lol.

I can't remember the brand but I will look tomorrow (I'm in bed already). Since I'm already taking prenatals I got one without extra vitamins. It just has whey protein and a little stevia and xylitol (which some may may not want to do but I decided it was okay).

joy.gif

Tags
Pregnancy , Healthy Pregnancy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page