Flying at 30 weeks as opposed to 28 weeks. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-02-2013, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, 

We are relocating to my hometown from Europe and I cannot decide whether it makes a difference to fly at 28 weeks or at 30 weeks. Pregnancy is going well so far. I am also under contract at work and would like to stay at my job as long as I can. But of course I don't want to risk a later flight if two weeks make a difference. Has anyone traveled in their third trimester? (The airline flies pregnant women up to 36 weeks so that should not be a problem.) The flights are relatively short, 3, 2.5 and 5 hours each with plenty of rest in between. 

Any experience in this area would be greatly appreciated!

#2 of 7 Old 03-03-2013, 01:15 PM

I flew at 32 weeks with my first, 34 weeks with the second, and will be flying next week (@32weeks) with number 3 - I haven't had any problems (except for every once on awhile a passenger who doesn't know much about pregnancy joking about giving birth on the plane). What are your main concerns with the flight? I definitely do a few things to prepare ahead of time but otherwise have had good experiences. : )
#3 of 7 Old 03-03-2013, 02:27 PM

I would personally fly up until about 34/35 weeks - after that I'd just be concerned about going into labor early (on the plane away from medical facilities).

Susan, mama to Catherine (June 2008); Becca (April 2010); John (January 2012); and Julia (EDD August 2013)
#4 of 7 Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 AM

I've done it. Flew from US to Romania in my third trimester. Don't see why it would matter much between 28 or 30 weeks. Whichever works better with your schedule should be fine. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#5 of 7 Old 03-04-2013, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'll be traveling from Boston to California at 32 and 36 weeks. I talked it over with my mw, and she is more concerned about staying hydrated and wearing a seat belt than pretrm labor.

If everything is going well for you and your care provider doesn't see a reason not to, I don't see why 2 weeks would make a difference.

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
#6 of 7 Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 AM

I don't think 30 vs. 28 is going to make a difference, I would make sure you have a doctor's note that says when your due date is in case you are challenged (unlikely, but better safe than sorry). Make sure to try and get up and walk around (you'll probably have to pee anyway) at least once on the shorter flights and at least two or more times on the longer one.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#7 of 7 Old 03-05-2013, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dunno how far along you are, but I wish I had waited till my 20 wk ultrasound before making all the gung-ho travel plans I now have to cancel because things weren't fine after all.

Make sure you get a doctor's note with time enough to rework your plans is necessary. I found myself with 3 places to go and grounded from flying or driving more than 1 hr away from a hospital.

And I felt (still feel!!) great. :-/ I don't mean to scare you or be too pathologistic, just speaking from the heart.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page