Things never to ask a pregnant woman - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 110 Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

We did have a nursery for DD and guess what? We painted it a vibrant green and hung pictures of animals. Seriously, the greatest way to make me run the other way when I'm shopping for DD is to make toys/linens, etc pink. You can totally tell which of her clothes are gifts: the pink ones! Lol. I just really don't like the pink/blue polarization... As mentioned above, there are so many colours in the rainbow joy.gif

This is totally me as well!  We found out the gender this time (mostly because I wanted to consign all of the obviously boy infant/baby clothes if it is a girl).  Well, it is indeed a girl.  I haven't bought one pink item.  We don't *do* nurseries, but the color scheme of her area of our room is orange/brown/white.

With DS, I didn't find out the gender and had no issues with stocking up on cream/ivory/white/pale green.  And again, the only blue items I got were gifts. 

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#62 of 110 Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennJenn84 View Post

I am pregnant with my second (DD is 6 1/2) and have a different sperm doner for this one (I call him that as he has been a complete JERK the whole time I've been pregnant.) I get the "well, you don't need anymore children now because a nother Baby Daddy would make you look trashy." Excuse me??? That is the worst and this person was lucky I didn't punch her in the face!

Oh, my gosh.  I think this takes the cake.  Pretty sure this is the WORST thing I've ever heard of anyone saying to a pregnant woman.  I'd have been tempted to punch her FOR you if I'd been there.  (Except I would probably have been too stunned.)

#63 of 110 Old 03-15-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2JC4life View Post

Oh, my gosh.  I think this takes the cake.  Pretty sure this is the WORST thing I've ever heard of anyone saying to a pregnant woman.  I'd have been tempted to punch her FOR you if I'd been there.  (Except I would probably have been too stunned.)

The thing is, it was a manager at work! I know I should have complained on her, but I just let it go. I had better things to worry about. Now? I definitly would have, as my moodyness is at an all time high.

dust.gif Mother to two beautiful daughters (6, and a newborn) dust.gif
#64 of 110 Old 03-16-2013, 12:21 PM

My first pregnancy was when I was 17, and I miscarried. People asked me, "Did you get pregnant on purpose?" and told me that, "It was probably a good thing you miscarried." My mother explained to me that sleeping with lots of guys (which I wasn't; I am married today to the guy who impregnated me at 17) won't make them love me.

I got pregnant again at 19. My mother, ever the sensitive one, told me that when she found out I was pregnant, she wanted to shoot herself in the head. My mother told me that I was selfish for refusing to give my baby up for adoption, and that I should be thankful that she was trying to arrange an open adoption for me (as opposed to a closed one). She also asked me if my partner was also the father of the miscarried baby. She also said, "Your dad and I are NOT raising another child!" My father said he wished I had told him early enough to get an abortion. This was on top of everyone and their mother asking me how old I was, if the father was involved, etc... (Which I got a little bit when I was pregnant at 22) Oh, and I also really hated when people would say, "At least you're taking responsibility..." because I didn't have an abortion.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#65 of 110 Old 03-16-2013, 12:58 PM

How horrible for people to say it was a good thing you miscarried!  Some people must seriously never think.

#66 of 110 Old 03-16-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

My first pregnancy was when I was 17, and I miscarried. People asked me, "Did you get pregnant on purpose?" and told me that, "It was probably a good thing you miscarried." My mother explained to me that sleeping with lots of guys (which I wasn't; I am married today to the guy who impregnated me at 17) won't make them love me.

I got pregnant again at 19. My mother, ever the sensitive one, told me that when she found out I was pregnant, she wanted to shoot herself in the head. My mother told me that I was selfish for refusing to give my baby up for adoption, and that I should be thankful that she was trying to arrange an open adoption for me (as opposed to a closed one). She also asked me if my partner was also the father of the miscarried baby. She also said, "Your dad and I are NOT raising another child!" My father said he wished I had told him early enough to get an abortion. This was on top of everyone and their mother asking me how old I was, if the father was involved, etc... (Which I got a little bit when I was pregnant at 22) Oh, and I also really hated when people would say, "At least you're taking responsibility..." because I didn't have an abortion.

Your Mom is a jerk!
mamabear7 likes this.
#67 of 110 Old 03-16-2013, 05:53 PM

Wow, Revolting! I would totally block any contact with anyone that ever spoke to me like that, I don't care if we're related, your my mom or dad. That's not something anyone needs in their life. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#68 of 110 Old 03-16-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

You shouldn't call 911 for a non-emergency. Just keep an eye out and if someone seems to be coming toward your belly, tell them no. That would kinda be like if you called 911 for someone grabbing on your shoulder to get your attention, unless they were hurting you and continuing to hurt you or something. I understand how it would make you feel though.

I'm on my fourth pregnancy and I don't think any stranger has ever touched my belly. 
Yeah, it wasnt really a rational thought! & the way I imagined it feeling wasnt anything like my shoulder, it was definetly an emotional hurt & invasion.of my personal space.
#69 of 110 Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by here we are View Post

How about "how are you feeling?"...am i the worst for saying this is not to be asked? Its just theres SO many feelings going on, its hard to give an answer, but i dont like this question anyways, i am just too private&moody in general.

i actually like when people ask me how i'm feeling. i'm 12 weeks pregnant with my first baby. some people didn't ask how i was feeling and it made me feel weird. 

so far i haven't had any weird questions really or anything that bothered me said to me. my midwife asked me if i have a feeling about it being a boy or a girl and i said i didn't know, and i didn't think so. it's fine. we fortunately both have supportive parents who keep their distance and aren't trying to influence our lives or decisions. 

before i got pregnant myself, i never knew whether it would be taken as an insult or as a compliment to acknowledge that a pregnant friend looks "huge" at a certain point. so i never commented on their size although they usually talk about how huge they are all the time.

i'm excited to see if i'll get any strangers commenting on my belly once i actually start showing. at this point, i might as well be overweight or just oddly shaped. :P

#70 of 110 Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 PM

I always start getting the "Due any day now" comments around 6/7 months.   I really just feel like there is never an ok time for this question.  You basically have three options:

1. They are not due for quite some time and you are now a jerk.

2. They are due any day now and are probably antsy about it anyway.

3. They are "over due" and more than ready to be done with this stage of things.

You can't win.

They size questions are also SO rude to me.  I am fairly small when I am not pregnant but I get big when I am pregnant, it's just what my body does.  My MIL has commented (and did throughout my last pregnancy too) on how big I am.  Implying that they baby will probably be so much bigger than my first (we lived in a different state during my first, also huge, pregnancy).  Commenting that they might deliver baby early since I am so big-I'm having a scheduled c-section this time so there isn't an issue of the baby "not fitting". Eyeing my belly with the "How are you measuring?" or "Have they made any guesses as to baby's size?"  Ugh.  I'm big, I know it, I hate it.  Can we just not discuss it please?  I don't talk about your size.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#71 of 110 Old 04-08-2013, 12:12 PM

I'm starting to worry about the comments I might get this time. Since this is our eighth, I'm sure there will be the requisite, "Another one?!?" and "Don't you know what causes that?!?" and "I could never do that!" Yeah, ok.

I'm 31 this time, and hoping that I finally look old enough to avoid all the, "You're pregnant? I thought you were in high school!" Not sure, though. Only a few weeks ago someone thought I was my husband's daughter, seriously, and it's her job to work with kids and families. It's crazy. I might look young (mid to late 20s, IMO), but no way my husband looks that much older than me.

I was 20 when I had my first, but I adopted my step-children at the same time, so I really had three at 20. I've had some nasty comments. The cashier in the grocery store, during my second pregnancy, who said that if I was her daughter, she'd kill me. The guy working a carnival ride who wanted to lecture me on how my children will hate me when they are grown for having such a large family. One online commenter who said there must be something wrong with me to be pregnant at such a young age (22), and the one who said that anyone who had a baby before 25 was ruining their lives (I was 24 and TTC our sixth).
Pepperdove likes this.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#72 of 110 Old 04-08-2013, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

Sounds like we have the same breed of mother. My mom was snooping through my purse when I was home visiting from college and 'accidentally' discovered a packet of birth control. Immediatley started accusing me of sleeping with the whole hockey team. This was after she had met (many times) my boyfriend of many months. Bitch...

Anyway, sorry people said that about your miscarriage. What a horrible thing to say to someone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post

I always start getting the "Due any day now" comments around 6/7 months.   I really just feel like there is never an ok time for this question.  You basically have three options:

1. They are not due for quite some time and you are now a jerk.

2. They are due any day now and are probably antsy about it anyway.

3. They are "over due" and more than ready to be done with this stage of things.

You can't win.

They size questions are also SO rude to me.  I am fairly small when I am not pregnant but I get big when I am pregnant, it's just what my body does.  My MIL has commented (and did throughout my last pregnancy too) on how big I am.  Implying that they baby will probably be so much bigger than my first (we lived in a different state during my first, also huge, pregnancy).  Commenting that they might deliver baby early since I am so big-I'm having a scheduled c-section this time so there isn't an issue of the baby "not fitting". Eyeing my belly with the "How are you measuring?" or "Have they made any guesses as to baby's size?"  Ugh.  I'm big, I know it, I hate it.  Can we just not discuss it please?  I don't talk about your size.

Ugh! I get all of this too! My dang Grandmother-IL just cannot keep her opinions to herself. I am "soooo thin!" when I am not pregnant and yet I am "sooo huge!" when I am pregnant. Either way I.do.not.care.what.your.opinion.is! woman. Plus, I hold her to a higher standard being that she has had 11 pregnancies. She should know what not to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleepotter View Post

I'm starting to worry about the comments I might get this time. Since this is our eighth, I'm sure there will be the requisite, "Another one?!?" and "Don't you know what causes that?!?" and "I could never do that!" Yeah, ok.

I'm 31 this time, and hoping that I finally look old enough to avoid all the, "You're pregnant? I thought you were in high school!" Not sure, though. Only a few weeks ago someone thought I was my husband's daughter, seriously, and it's her job to work with kids and families. It's crazy. I might look young (mid to late 20s, IMO), but no way my husband looks that much older than me.

I was 20 when I had my first, but I adopted my step-children at the same time, so I really had three at 20. I've had some nasty comments. The cashier in the grocery store, during my second pregnancy, who said that if I was her daughter, she'd kill me. The guy working a carnival ride who wanted to lecture me on how my children will hate me when they are grown for having such a large family. One online commenter who said there must be something wrong with me to be pregnant at such a young age (22), and the one who said that anyone who had a baby before 25 was ruining their lives (I was 24 and TTC our sixth).

The only thing that scrambles people's brains more than seeing a pregnant woman, is seeing a family of more than 3 children. They just can't handle it. And the people that say they could "never do that" just shouldn't then. What does it matter to them?

I've decided there is no good question to ask a pregnant woman. Just say, "You look great!" and talk about something else! Even the most well intentioned questions or comments can go wrong. For some reason our clinic now has 'greeters' like it is WalMart or something and our 'greeter' rushed up to me (like almost a run) at my last appt (I had my 2 year old daughter with me) I asked in a very concerned voice if I was having a boy. Just out of the blue, I hadn't even made eye contact with her. I said no, another girl. "Well............well..............well...............................I guess as long as they are healthy right?" confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#73 of 110 Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 AM

Ok, I have officially joined the club - first stupid comments at work last week by my (male) coworker:
- was it intentional or an accident?
- are you gonna be a stay at home mom now?

Made me happy I waited as long as I could before announcing.

Also, the unwanted advice-giving has begun.
- do not use an electronic heating pad. The emit a huge mount of electromagnetic waves, it's really bad for the baby.
- tips on hydration (I am very well hydrated, thank you)
- "take good care of you!" - well ok, you take good care of yourself too!

I'm scared of when I really start showing, that people might just start touching my belly without asking. And I now hate that male coworker of mine who made those comments. He didn't even congratulate.

But all this is nothing in comparison to what some of you heard! I simply have no explanation for why anyone would be so hateful, both to a random stranger and also to their own child.
#74 of 110 Old 04-11-2013, 08:38 AM

When I told my supervisor that I was pregnant her response was "I have to stop hiring girls". Lol.
#75 of 110 Old 04-11-2013, 11:04 AM

I've gotten lots of comments with being PG with twins. "Did you have something done?" (thanks grandma), "you're going to be busy!" (yeah, after 3 MC, I want to be busy with babies). I also "look really PG" and I'm just 5 mos. I can't wait to see how big I get this time but seriously, I'm trying to pack wt onto the babies and don't want them to come early. With my daughter who wasn't due till mid-July I got "wouldn't it be cool if she came in June?" what is cool about having her pre-mature??

#76 of 110 Old 04-11-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss98 View Post

I've gotten lots of comments with being PG with twins. "Did you have something done?" (thanks grandma), "you're going to be busy!" (yeah, after 3 MC, I want to be busy with babies). I also "look really PG" and I'm just 5 mos. I can't wait to see how big I get this time but seriously, I'm trying to pack wt onto the babies and don't want them to come early. With my daughter who wasn't due till mid-July I got "wouldn't it be cool if she came in June?" what is cool about having her pre-mature??

With the timing, I get "wouldn't it be great if you two shared a birthday?" That would put baby 20 days overdue... Maybe not as dangerous as coming too early but definitely not cool!
#77 of 110 Old 04-11-2013, 12:29 PM

I'm surprised that people get annoyed by the gender questions. I dunno seems harmless to me. I once asked a woman I work with if she "knew what she was having" and she answered "I'm having a baby" in a really snippy tone. I was just trying to be nice. Anyway I kind of avoided her after that, because she came off as really rude.
mamabear7 likes this.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#78 of 110 Old 04-11-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishmommy View Post

I'm surprised that people get annoyed by the gender questions. I dunno seems harmless to me. I once asked a woman I work with if she "knew what she was having" and she answered "I'm having a baby" in a really snippy tone. I was just trying to be nice. Anyway I kind of avoided her after that, because she came off as really rude.

Yeah before I was ever PG I told a lady she looked cute and she went on a tirade about how she didn't feel cute and she'd never tell a PG woman she looked cute again. So sorry.

#79 of 110 Old 04-12-2013, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ugh, I get annoyed at so much of what people say to me.  A summary:

Everyone's an expert. Unsolicited home remedies for morning sickness that you've already tried and didn't work and unsolicited OB/GYN recommendations are the most common and most annoying.

"You know you need to be taking care of yourself."  I want to respond, "Really? I was just going to drink whiskey and sit on the couch eating chips this whole time."

I haven't been directly asked if the pregnancy was planned because I think most people (correctly) assume it wasn't.  But I can't stand when I can tell people are trying to figure out how me and my partner are feeling about it.  Quite a few have asked, "Are y'all freaking out?" 

When I ran into a friend at the grocery store and told him I was pregnant he responded, "So your period was late and you were like WHAT!?!?!"

My supervisor at work asked me if this was the result of a failed contraceptive device or just carelessness.  At the time I was so shocked by the question that I just answered it and said we weren't using any form of birth control. But I later gave her the feedback that I thought that had been a completely inappropriate question.

One acquaintance actually said, "Tell [your partner] congratulations! Wait....it is his, right?"

Almost any pregnancy advice from those who have never been pregnant or parenting advice from those who aren't parents is always grating, even when it's well intentioned.

Excited, anxious and proud to be pregnant for the first time! My partner and I can't wait to meet the little boy sometime around Sept 20th.

#80 of 110 Old 04-12-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmamita View Post

Almost any pregnancy advice from those who have never been pregnant or parenting advice from those who aren't parents is always grating, even when it's well intentioned.

I worked with someone like that during my first pregnancy. She thought she knew EVERYTHING about pregnancy, despite never having been pregnant herself, and was always telling me all about it unasked. Constant stream of unnecessary and unwanted advice.

Another lady I'm glad is no longer around is the neighbor who was constantly telling people how much BIGGER I was during my second pregnancy than my first. I'd be talking to someone, and she'd just start telling them how I was SO MUCH BIGGER this time. The really strange part is that she didn't know me during my first pregnancy. Never so much as saw a photo. I have no idea where she even got this idea, much less why she thought she needed to tell everyone and their brother.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#81 of 110 Old 04-14-2013, 05:32 AM

Yesterday I went shopping with my mom. She was at the cosmetics counter in a department store, and the woman working at counter made a comment in my nice skin. So of course, my mom had to tell her that I'm pregnant. Without hesitation or inquiry, the woman launched into an explanation of how much weight she gained during her pregnancy, how terrible GD was, how awful her her labor was, how her bladder almost fell out (!), and then BEGGED me not to gain too much weight. It was so uncomfortable!!!

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#82 of 110 Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 AM

I recently took early medical leave because my job is very physically strenuous and my midwife was worried about threatened pre-term labour...

anyways I'm 7 months pregnant and went into my work (grocery store) to buy some groceries. My manager looked me up and down (with a shocked/ discusted look on her face) and asked "How much WEIGHT! have you PUT ON?" I was taken back as she just looked so horrified. She then went on to say "You must be retaining water or SOMETHING!" to which I replied "umm... I don't think so?" She then kept insisting that I share (with her, my co workers serving me and the line up of people behind me) exactly how much weight I've put on... to which I proudly stated at least 30 lbs, maybe 40... She went on to say that she doesn't understand why I would gain so much because she knows I'm a health-obsessed vegetarian that never eats junk food or sweet things (while she stated this she glanced at the groceries I was buying today as if to try to find evidence of my weight gain... sadly I only had spinach, zucchini, and some fruit with me so no luck there)

I mean, I only stopped working there two weeks ago, and I'm in there all the time buying groceries AND I've only gained 5 lbs max since I did work there so... not sure why she was so shocked to see me today but still... I wasn't overly offended (I'm comfortable with my body, I know I'm eating right and exercising and if my body needs to put on 30+ lbs then so be it) but I was just more shocked at how rude she was and how if I wasn't such a secure person with my body shape and size right now, she could have really upset me. I finished the conversation by saying, "I'm not worried about my weight gain, I know I'll loose it all after, that's what happened to my mom!" She didn't respond but had a look of doubt on her face like I must be dreaming and in denial that I would ever get my body back to pre-pregnancy weight. I guess I will just have to show her! ha ha

Pepperdove likes this.
#83 of 110 Old 04-16-2013, 07:03 AM

Wow, nattery, sounds like your manager just showed a bunch of her employees and customers what a rude b**** she is. If I'd been in the line behind you, I would have stopped shopping there! Possibly complained, too. I get very sensitive while pregnant, and I wouldn't want to risk her saying crap like that to me!

Come to think of it, did the other customers in line even know you work there? I can imagine it appearing like she just insulted a pregnant customer out of nowhere!
Pepperdove likes this.

#84 of 110 Old 04-16-2013, 07:31 AM

I'm loving reading this thread because it just blows my mind that ANYONE ever thinks it's ok to talk like that to ANYONE - regardless of whether or not they are pregnant. It's like as soon as we start growing a baby our bodies and decisions should be open to public opinion. Amazing.

My rant is about my mom, who I love more than anything, but who doesn't always say things that people should hear. I was in labour at the hospital with my DD (my first). I was in full labour at 34 weeks - my midwife was there, but it was a transfer of care to an OB since it was early. My contractions weren't super painful and I was breathing through them well and feeling very confident and prepared for this birth. I felt great. My DH was incredibly helpful and supportive along with my midwife. My mom though kept repeating how much WORSE it was going to get. "Oh just wait - you think this is easy, but it's going to get WAY worse, just wait!". Um, thanks?? That's what I need to hear. I'm not freaked out enough about being in labour 6 weeks early I need you to remind me about how much pain is coming when you know I don't want any pain meds. Thanks.

And my labour was amazing. I delivered my daughter naturally with no pain medication and she was born very healthy.

avereemorgan12 likes this.
#85 of 110 Old 04-16-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleepotter View Post

Come to think of it, did the other customers in line even know you work there? I can imagine it appearing like she just insulted a pregnant customer out of nowhere!

Ha ha never thought of it that way! Makes me laugh to think of what an ass she made herself look like

#86 of 110 Old 04-17-2013, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm odd one out here. I wish people were asking me ANYTHING, even if it's too personal. Half the time I don't even feel pregnant, or worry that people just don't care.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#87 of 110 Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 AM

Agree with the other ladies... I hate hearing, "Did you guys plan this pregnancy?" "Were you on birth control?" "Did you want this baby?" and another I HATED... "Wow you're HUGE!" STFU. I feel like a whale anyways, don't make such rude comments on my growing child. I was fairly large when I was pregnant with my daughter, but she was a tall, skinny baby at birth so we haven't the slightest clue why. I was all belly with her lol. My mom felt my stomach when I was about 14 weeks pregnant and she says, "It's still all soft and flabby, it's not even hard yet." Really? I'm 14 WEEKS PREGNANT... wonder why my belly isn't "hard" yet! Then you get the whole, "Do you know what you're having? Do you want to know? Do you have names picked out?" Those don't bother me as much as they are tedious... .I think with this pregnancy I'll just wear a shirt that says everything on it lol. 

joy.gifProud to be a stay at home mommy to: Averee Morgan DOB 11/19/12energy.gif

stork-girl.gifExpecting baby #2 12/18/13belly.gif

nak.gifWe breastfeed and baby wear femalesling.GIF

#88 of 110 Old 04-18-2013, 06:03 AM

With this pregnancy, I'm anticipating at least a few people saying, "But I thought you were done having kids!" I'm so tempted to respond, "Sorry, I guess I should have warned you before DH and I decided to have sex." wink1.gif

Anybody got any comebacks for the inevitable, "When are you going to do something about that (ie, get fixed)?" We actually *are* going to "do something" after this baby, but I'm sick of people asking me that every time I get pregnant! It makes me want to have 8 more, just to rebel against the naysayers!
Pepperdove likes this.

#89 of 110 Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmamita View Post

Ugh, I get annoyed at so much of what people say to me.  A summary:

Everyone's an expert. Unsolicited home remedies for morning sickness that you've already tried
OMG THIS!!! I've been so sick for almost 6 weeks now and my OB is extremely concerned anyway. Don't you think they have given me suggestions and I am trying them? Or do you just think I love to barf constantly?
Then I had a lady lecture me for taking zofran. Um excuse me, but 1) I AM an adult. 2) I'm already uncomfortable with taking it, but it is literally the only thing that helps me at this point. This lady has also never had any children, by choice. Maybe I'm too sensitive.

Also my manager said to me your husband must be so frustrated. Well excuse me, but unlike you my husband cares about my well being. He's actually pretty concerned. Agh.
#90 of 110 Old 04-21-2013, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I had a coworker that I thought might be pregnant, but given how sensitive I have been with my infertility journey and the fact that I knew she had lost a lot of weight, I didn't want to ask her "Are you pregnant?" especially if she was just gaining weight or truly wasn't and having difficulties getting pregnant.  I was waiting for her to make an announcement of some kind to give people the head's up that, "yes, I am pregnant" not just getting fat.  Never happened.  Then I was attending a baby shower of a mutual friend and learned that the coworker was 7.5 months pregnant and she was handing out baby shower invites to everyone but me!  Okay. How to handle that tactfully.  I just ignored the event.  The next day I congratulated her on her pregnancy and told her I didn't know she was pregnant. "Oh, I thought you knew." I thought to myself, "Um, no, you didn't tell me (but obviously all the other female workers know) and I didn't want to ask for fear to offend you if you were just getting fat."  Granted at the time I had just gotten a bfp a week before and I am not telling co-workers yet.

Since I had to go through IVF to get pregnant, the "You know how that happens" comment response will be priceless. "Yep, I gave myself painful injections 3 times a day for 2 weeks, then went through a painful egg retrieval process, waited on pins and needles for the doctors to tell me if my DH's sperm that they injected into my eggs had done its job, then had a painless transfer of two amazing embryos, now I am trying to stay peaceful as I wait for the next few months to pass before I meet my little one (or ones since I don't know if I am having twins yet)." I know way more about "how it happens" than I ever thought I would.  It is amazing that any woman gets pregnant given all the things that must happen perfectly timed.

Pepperdove and kinny like this.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!

Tags
Embrace A Pregnancy Journal , Sacred Pregnancy A Loving Guide And Journal For Expectant Moms , Spiritual Midwifery , Ina Mays Guide To Childbirth , Great Expectations Your All In One Resource For Pregnancy Childbirth , Husband Coached Childbirth Fifth Edition The Bradley Method Of Natural Childbirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page