Chlorophyll? Other Ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-04-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been having a bit of trouble with my platelets being low, and while they are up now from where they were, (114 to 136), I'm really worrying about it. My iron is also on the low end of normal. I've been looking for different things to do that can help with both issues, and the thing that keeps coming up is chlorophyll, but that seems to have mixed reviews. I eat a pretty high protein diet, I think, and do okay with vegetables (but am working on doing better with the vegetables). My OB recommended eating high protein and more/better vegetables, and like I said, I've been working on doing better with the vegetables, but I already feel like I'm eating all.the.time. so I don't know that eating more would be a viable option. If I have to, I'll try iron supplements, but I have sometimes problems with pills, so I'd rather not have to go that route if I don't have to. Any suggestions?

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#2 of 5 Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 PM

I can't wait to hear replies bc I've btdt in the past (so far ok this time round, tho).

In the past, I've heard good things about both chlorophyl & nettle tea. I don't have #s to back this up, tho; sorry.

If you have to supplement, I believe there are good whole food choices now (I mean better/ moe avail than say 12 years ago or so).

#3 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 AM

There are a few of us struggling to find that magic bullet over here:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1369358/thrombocytopenia

Iron won't necessarily help your platelet count (my iron is fine, but I still have lower than normal counts, even when not pregnant), but if you are also having iron issues, I've heard Floradix is an iron supplement that is much more readily absorbed by your body and easier on the system.

I have some frozen wheatgrass juice cubes in my freezer that I'm going to add to my smoothies (once it gets warmer out and I feel like having a semi-frozen drink) too see if the chlorophyll helps, I mentioned some other things I've read in that other thread I posted as well.  There seems to be a lot of conflicting information, that's for sure...

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#4 of 5 Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 AM

Just want to throw a curveball to you. Have you ever been checked for Celiac disease? I had really low platelet counts, red blood cell counts, you name it, and was taking all sorts of supplements to increase it. I ate really well, exercised, etc. Finally a new nurse asked if I'd been tested for Celiac. Boom. Positive. When I eat gluten by body then stops absorbing any nutirents. For me this caused my blood problems. Now I'm a gluten-free eater and my blood work is perfect. 

I know this is just my one experience, but it wasn't a direct correlation in my mind when the nurse introduced the idea so I just wanted to share. 

#5 of 5 Old 03-12-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipi View Post

Just want to throw a curveball to you. Have you ever been checked for Celiac disease? I had really low platelet counts, red blood cell counts, you name it, and was taking all sorts of supplements to increase it. I ate really well, exercised, etc. Finally a new nurse asked if I'd been tested for Celiac. Boom. Positive. When I eat gluten by body then stops absorbing any nutirents. For me this caused my blood problems. Now I'm a gluten-free eater and my blood work is perfect. 

I know this is just my one experience, but it wasn't a direct correlation in my mind when the nurse introduced the idea so I just wanted to share. 

I've never been checked for it, no. But I have wondered every once and awhile if I might have it, for various different reasons. I've not checked extensively into it, but that is interesting, and would make a lot of sense, if that turns out to be the case. Thanks!

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page