Nettle Tea??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-05-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With my first pregnancy I had trouble with swelling due to water retention. I recently heard that nettle tea can help and was wondering if it was safe and what the dosage would be? I am currently 17 weeks pg and hoping to avoid that this time aroundsmile.gif

#2 of 6 Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 AM

My midwife said nettle tea is one of the best teas to drink while pregnant and that it was fine for me to have it as iced tea throughout the day. I don't know about any dosage. But, it is safe. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#3 of 6 Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 AM

I've been drinking it through my pregnancy and my midwife encourages this.  However, for me, it's a regular in my tea rotation regardless  from the pregnancy.  My impression is that there isn't a dosage concern with this - though I would ask your midwife.

Live in Vancouver, Canada.  Pregnant with first baby.  Work in democratic/free schooling.  Partnered. stillheart.gif

#4 of 6 Old 03-07-2013, 02:24 PM

It's considered a pregnancy tonic, and it can be safely drunk several cups daily. Dandelion tea is also very helpful for water retention during pregnancy, and since it has natural potassium, it helps prevent becoming depleted (over the counter & prescription diuretics tend to flush everything and thus you become low on potassium, sodium, etc.).

EDIT:

Almost forgot: Both are gentle diuretics, so you may need to drink 2-4 cups a day to really see results. Drinking these types of teas regularly will help prevent that overload swelling, but it may take larger doses, resting with feet up, drinking extra water, etc., to really get swelling down if it's already fairly bad.

#5 of 6 Old 03-07-2013, 06:15 PM

I have nettle and dandelion in my homemade pregnancy tea, and I add more to each batch if I'm feeling puffy and swollen at any time.  I drink it pretty regularly though so I don't end up "needing" it that often, but if I do have trouble I get really fast results with a nice, relaxing magnesium bath!

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#6 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 09:42 AM

If you're drinking it specifically because of the water retention, I'd stick with the dandelion (b/c of the potassium).  Nettle is in most pregnancy teas because of its other benefits, but Dr. Brewer (of Blue Ribbon Baby fame) says that diuretics are a no-no for pregnant women, as they can cause, increase, or interfere with the recognition of preeclampsia/toxemia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page