mail-order DNA testing for gender? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone done this? You buy a kit, prick your finger on or after week 9, mail the sample in, then pay a lab fee to find out baby sex a few days later. Looks like they test your blood for a Y chromosome and if any are present your baby must be a boy, since, you know, YOU aren't. smile.gif
I'm debating trying this because I'm generally curious about it, because I want to choose yarn for knitting projects based on gender (really important stuff here), because my 1st grader has an as almost unhealthy obsession with wanting this baby to be a girl, and because my curious father offered to pay for it for fun. For the record, I don't care AT ALL if it's a boy or girl-- I just think it would be fun to find out earlier rather than later.
So my question...has anyone done this? How did it go? Was it accurate?

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#2 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 05:07 PM

I had a blood test done that indicated gender with baby #5.  It was along with RH genotyping and the lab offered to share gender too.  It was 100% accurate for us (both gender and genotype were correct).  They drew a few vials of blood though, not just a drop.

I'm not sure how accurate the tests that use just a drop are - if they require more than that to see cell-free DNA or not.  Can you share the name of the lab doing it?

Also, I had mine done at 15 weeks but our lab rep said it's accurate starting at 7-8 weeks.

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#3 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 08:00 AM

Ahh yes what a coincidence I have been reading so much about these gender tests. I just want something that is scientifically precise. To be honest, what I don't like about the finger prick test is the actual prick itself. The thought just makes me shudder. Call me a coward but I totally am. I don't know how I got though child birth. 

Anyways, now I am preggies once more and me and my hubby this time round want to do a gender test. The blood test is one option I have come across but I also came across this other option which uses urine samples.I have found quite a few articles and stuff online stating that this test is scientific and 100% or 99%. It works just like the blood test, if there are Y chromosomes in the urine then its a boy. If it does not have Y chromosomes, then it is a baby girl. The test is possible at like 9 or 10 weeks which is pretty early. Some feedback from you would be great. 

#4 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM

Research out of Tufts Medical Center shows that the urine tests are not very accurate.  Still not sure about the one-drop blood test though.  It seems like so little after seeing how much they took for mine :p

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#5 of 5 Old 03-07-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenburgess View Post

Research out of Tufts Medical Center shows that the urine tests are not very accurate. 

No, I'm not interested in that kind. Thanks for sharing your experience. This is the website I was looking at, and let me give the disclaimer that I'm not affiliated with it or anything--I just came across them doing a google search. I heard about this kind of testing in this forum, I'm pretty sure, when I was pregnant with my DS four years ago, but then it was (I think) new and a lot more expensive, so I was just wondering if it had become a bigger thing in the meantime. I'll probably just go ahead and do it for fun.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page