Advice or stories of going into labor early please. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I am looking for some input on my fundal height/feeling huge-ness. According to the average of all the due dates I have been given this pregnancy I should be roughly 32 weeks tomorrow. At my U/S 2 weeks ago they said baby was measuring ahead and moved my due date up a few days. The last few days, especially today, I have just been feeling massive. Not really weight wise but belly size and having such a hard time finding anything that fits me. I have been doing my own measurements and BP and using my doppler to do my own prenatals at home but have had a handful of prenatals with my OB too, and my notes have always matched what she has said. Anyway, I finally broke down and pulled out my measuring tape and measured my fundal height and I am measuring 35 cm! I was measuring 31 cm 2 weeks ago! Baby is moving a lot and I am really struggling to rock DD to sleep and am winded climbing upstairs and I am getting so crabby. I don't know what to think. Ever since around 28 weeks I have felt that I may go up to a month early but now maybe I actually could! My first babe was 5 lbs. 10 oz., second was 7 lbs 14 oz., so it's not like I have huge babies. WTH!?!?!? Can babies just grow faster and decide to come out early?

ETA: I don't have any GD and I am certain on my dates.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#2 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

i think you might go early my youngest son was born at 32 weeks and was 5 lb and 15 oz  and we had  a good date on him and i was measuring at 35 weeks when i had him but we knew i was not so i think you will go early

happily in love with dh blowkiss.gif and raise my three jelly beansjumpers.gif and missing my  babies in heavenangel3.gifangel3.gifangel2.gifangel1.gifangel1.gifangel1.gif angel.gif we finely got are rainbow and me and her daddy are so glad are rainbow is here  born on 11/07/2013 
#3 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would have someone else do the measurement. You may be measuring yourself a little differently than your caregiver has been.

Quote:
Can babies just grow faster and decide to come out early?

Not in my experience.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 11 Old 03-12-2013, 08:12 AM

someone else should weigh in on this but aren't late ultrasounds notoriously INaccurate as far as dating is concerned?

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#5 of 11 Old 03-12-2013, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Everything I've read is that late ultrasounds are extremely inaccurate.  My doc went off my first ultrasound at 9 weeks and my fundal height varied a bit over time but she never worried about it.  She also said that fundal height is somewhat subjective and different people will measure it differently.  It's unlikely it changed that dramatically in that span of time. Who knows, babe could come early or you might not.  At this stage, there's no real way to tell.  But I wouldn't use one errant fundal measurement to plan anything (or get too excited... that's what I did and it made me crazy the last three weeks). 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012.  Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013.
#6 of 11 Old 03-12-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMama19 View Post

someone else should weigh in on this but aren't late ultrasounds notoriously INaccurate as far as dating is concerned?

Yes. The farther past 20 weeks (and some say the farther past the first trimester) you get, the less reliable the ultrasound is for both dating and measurement.

#7 of 11 Old 03-12-2013, 08:01 PM

FWIW, at my last appointment (16 weeks) my MW felt around on my belly, and said "your fundus is where I expect it to be, about halfway to your belly button." She had a quick listen and said things were looking fine. No tape, nothing. The family drs with my previous pregnancy were totally all about measuring though... Ialso hear a lot of moms showing earlier with subsequent pregnancies and measuring a little ahead. I basically got the belly out of the blue around 16 weeks and it looks the same now at 20. I wouldn't get too excited or upset by one measurement, just take it a day at a time - not easy, I know!
#8 of 11 Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMama19 View Post

They stuck to the first due date they gave me and DS was actually born on my due date!

I was huge (but more like 33 at 32 weeks) and everybody said I had twins and would go into labor 2 months before my due date but like I said... they were wrong. You're probably feeling that way because you have to care for other children and, let's say it, being that pregnant is not the most pleasing thing...! Keep us posted!

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#9 of 11 Old 03-13-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Just saw this post had replies. I am actually almost 34 weeks now and last saturday baby dropped HARD! Now I am dilated and my cervix is low. Been dealing with pressure and constant low backache since then. Some sporadic BH's and some regular but not really painful contrax. I have an appt in 2 weeks so we will see. I talked to my doctor the night baby dropped because of all the pressure and she didn't seem worried but we will see. Now that baby dropped my fundus is only measuring 2 cm ahead now.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#10 of 11 Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

it wont be long then  i hope you and your baby is ready be the time you have you baby and everything goes good

happily in love with dh blowkiss.gif and raise my three jelly beansjumpers.gif and missing my  babies in heavenangel3.gifangel3.gifangel2.gifangel1.gifangel1.gifangel1.gif angel.gif we finely got are rainbow and me and her daddy are so glad are rainbow is here  born on 11/07/2013 
#11 of 11 Old 03-16-2013, 10:46 PM

Try to hang in there and do what you can to stay pregnant until at least 37 weeks! Take it easy. If you're not already taking extra Vitamin C (to avoid infection and premature rupture of membranes), it's not too late to start. There are also studies that showed that moms who took fish oil (or ate fish twice weekly) were less likely to have a preemie. Stay hydrated, eat plenty of calories and protein.

This is a good video about why babies need to "cook" through the end of pregnancy:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page