hot yoga while preggo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I LOVE my hot yoga and have been taking classes for years.  Having an internal debate as to whether or not it is safe to do while pregnant.  I've had plenty of preggo's in classes w/ me and seen plenty of pregnant teachers who teach/practice in the heat.  I am reading conflicting things.  I just dont understand why hot yoga might be 'bad' but I can workout outside in heat and humidity and that is OK (of course being super hydrated).

Anyone continuing there hot practice?

thx,

Brenda

(Mama to Ella 8.06, Joey 12/08, and #3 edd 11.10.13)

#2 of 9 Old 03-09-2013, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I went to a "Healthy Pregnancy" class at Mountain Midwifery Center in Colorado, and it was made VERY clear that hot yoga is a bad idea for most people. And this is coming from a group of very crunchy, yoga loving, natural living midwives.

The reasoning I heard is that you are more prone to dizziness and dehydration in pregnancy, and that your body is already heating up as it is, so those things all together do not make for a very safe hot yoga experience. I don't see how exercising outdoors on a hot, humid day is different either-- they're the same risks.

However, I'd imagine that like most things, if you are feeling good, keeping hydrated, and able to easily step outside (the yoga room-- inside from a hot day) to cool down if needed, you may be fine. Just keep several steps ahead of any warning signs like light-headed-ness or weakness. 

In more detail:

The risks seem to be in three forms, in order of seriousness.

One is that when pregnant, you are more likely to become "weak in the knees," lose balance, and hurt yourself, especially if your ligaments are loosening up from Relaxin as well. I consider myself a fit, well-coordinated and balanced person, and this has happened to me more than I'd like to admit. 

The second is that raising your core body temperature over a certain threshold can cause developmental problems for your embryo. Read up on why hot tubs and sauna are also cautioned against-- it's the same thing in hot yoga. 

The third is dehydration. I remember reading in one book that women are not infrequently hospitalized for dehydration during pregnancy because you need so much more water for all that new blood and amniotic fluid, etc, and it's easy to forget to drink more water. 

Obviously, none of these are (your) life threatening risks, though in the extremes, impact from a fall, over-heating, and dehydration all have very real dangers for the life and wellness of your embryo/fetus.

If I was you, I would continue going but I would be more cautious about which moves I modify to suit, I'd drink 1.5 times as much water as before, and rehydrate after, and I'd stop at the first signs of my body feeling too "off" to continue. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#3 of 9 Old 03-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
How hot is hot? In the first trimester an increase in core body temperature of a couple of degrees can cause neural tube defects. This isn't an issue after the neural tube is formed obviously so it's not such a problem in the second and third trimesters.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies...the room is probably kept between 100-105 and the class is an hour.  There happens to be a woman in one of  my class who is close to delivering and she's been taking it 6x per week through the entire pregnancy.  She told me for the first few weeks she monitored her temp after class and it never went above 99.  I am thinking about taking it and temping, but maybe I should just find a Vinyasa class that is not heated, or I think there are some studios that keep the temp closer to 90-95 degrees, that 10 degree difference might be much better.   I just hate to give it up.  I am a fit instructor and pt so very very in touch w/ my body and pay very close attention when taking the class as a non-preggo to how I am feeling, extra water, rest when needed, etc.....and I just like the heat.  I go running on HOT days in summer (again, not preggo)so.....

gonna miss hot yoga and my yerba mate tea.  The two things I dont want to give up ;)

THANKS,

Brenda

#5 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 11:22 PM

I am due a day after you and have been having the same debate! I've decided to skip it during the first trimester. I know I could
Modify and I could hydrate well but the core temp thig is hard to ignore. And really f you're going to monitor that it should be a rectal temp. Fun times. I just don't think the risk is worth it for me, although I do love it so much. I may go back after the first tri.

Kate ~~ Mama to my adorable boy A (7/09) bikenew.gifand funny girl G (4/11) diaper.gif

Cautiously expecting #3 in November!

****5*joy.gif**10****15****20****25****30****35****40

We are a happy treehugger.gifwinner.jpg asl.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif family!

#6 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 AM

I am a yoga instructor and practitioner (vinyasa, Hatha, hot, and prenatal). Hot yoga is actually very safe and healing under normal circumstances (without child) with a knowledgeable guide. I could provide several first hand anecdotes of seemingly miraculous  rehabilitations as a result of regular hot yoga practice.

BUT

During pregnancy I would agree with the general consensus among experienced instructors to avoid the HOT aspect of the yoga. If you live in a sunny area, practice your asanas in the direct sunlight and stock up on vitamin D while you're at it. Hydrate with electrolyte rich liquids(coconut water) and H2o several hours before & of course, no inversions until after baby has come.

#7 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Yeah, I'm due right before you and realized over the weekend that I will need to move to another form of yoga.  It is a bit depressing because I do love it so.  My biggest concern is that heat although the temping is a great idea.  Good luck finding a solution for this that works for you namaste.gif

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#8 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Well I skipped my regular hot yoga classes this weekend.  I went to a non-heated flow class that was good but definately not as challenging.  I will be on the search for some non heated classes  :(

My pediatrician (who is very holisitic, natural minded) did some research for me and he confirmed I should stay away.

Thanks for all the info.  I guess its not that bad...I usually stop hot classes in summer anyway, but my practice has been getting so good and I just LOVE how I feel on my yoga days.  Will find something else to make me feel just as good!

thx,

Brenda

#9 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM

Brenda I'm the same way! Can't find a class - yet - that makes me feel as good. Sigh. At least pregnancy is a finite time!

Kate ~~ Mama to my adorable boy A (7/09) bikenew.gifand funny girl G (4/11) diaper.gif

Cautiously expecting #3 in November!

****5*joy.gif**10****15****20****25****30****35****40

We are a happy treehugger.gifwinner.jpg asl.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif family!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page