Did anyone not have gestational diabetes during a previous pregnancy and not get it again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had it (diet and exercise controlled) 3 years ago with my DD.  I am now 16 weeks and completing the 1 hour today.

Things I have been doing:

walking a mile or 2 everyday since 12 weeks

raw green juice with coconut oil every morning

no sweets

chromium supplement

5000 IU of Vitamin D per day

2 tsp of fish oil per day

I am hoping this all helps! But I am not sure it can be prevented....

Thanks for any suggestions or stories you may have too.

#2 of 9 Old 05-11-2013, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Bumping in case there is someone out there that knows but missed your post.

#3 of 9 Old 05-11-2013, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I test on Monday at 25 weeks and feeling anxious! Hoping for the best.

#4 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM

I had GD with DS1 and was insulin controlled. I tested early with DS2 and then skipped the one hour at 26 weeks and opted to just do the 3 hour. I passed that time and didn't need to follow the strict diet and exercise regime. It will be interesting to see my results with LO3! 

#5 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 04:50 AM

I had gd with my 1st, but not 2nd & 3rd
#6 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding!  Did you do anything different to help "prevent" it?  I guess there is hope for other GD women because I too, do not have it this time!! I am not sure if the things I have been doing have helped or what but either way, I am thrilled!!

#7 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 01:33 AM

I did everything the same during each of my pregnancies. No exercise, ate what I wanted. Never smoked or used alcohol. Took my prenatals & kept all my Dr appts. Looking back thou only thing I would have done different is drink more water & at least walk, since I didn't exercise. Oh besides Gd with my 1st, I had preclamsia & preterm uteran abruption at 35 Weeks. No serious complications like these with my other pregnancies.
#8 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 03:01 AM

I wanted to take vitamin d during pregnancy too, because i take it normally for my bones and my seasonal depression, but I am pretty sure I didnt because I read its one of the no-no's!!!!!! Please look it up yourself. I am sure my prenatal vitamin has some, but I read too much supplemental D is bad....can't remember if it can cause autoimmune or what the concern is.

Just a heads up!!! Good luck!
#9 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 AM

I have a family history of GD, so I knew there was a good chance that I could be affected. Sure enough, Come the beginning of my 2nd trimester, I could feel that I had unstable blood sugar. I had been eating mostly carbs because of food aversions, so I rapidly changed my diet. No sugar, no excess processed grains, extra protein, and extra greens. I tested negative (although I felt SO bad drinking that GROSS orange drink, talk about toxic!). I'm sure that if I hadn't changed my diet and kept up exercising, I would have tested positive. 
The bonus is that with all of the extra kale and nettles my placenta was SO healthy! 

My midwife prescribed extra vitamin D during my pregnancy. I live in the cloudy state of Washington and my tested levels of vitamin D are very low. As far as I know, there's no problem taking extra (I had to take 4000IU a day) as long as you are deficient. She did mention that it does matter where you live. My doctor agreed saying that of all the people she's tested in the cloudy North West, she's never seen one patient who didn't need extra supplementation. I'm continuing to take that high dose postpartum because at 4000IU it does transfer to the breast milk. 

- Morgan (23) unschooled since birth reading.gif and owner of small Bookshop. Darling partner fuzmalesling.gif and I live on a beautiful rainy island with our DS babyboy.gif born 4/5/13 nocirc.gif familybed1.gif cd.gif  homebirth.jpg

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page