To those who've avoided morning sickness/nausea/etc...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

....please share your secrets!!!

I had terrible round the clock nausea and vomiting with my last pregnancy, and I'm desperately trying to avoid it this time around (I'm not pregnant....we're going to start TTC in a few months.)

So, if you are one of those lucky mamas that has avoided being sick, I'd love to know what you did diet/healthwise pre-conception and what you're eating/doing now to stay healthy. 

Many thanks in advance!

~may all beings be free from suffering~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

I went to the doctor and got a prescription for a drug called Diclectin.I don't know if it's available where you are, but it's pretty common in Canada. It meant the difference between puking once every 2 - 3 days and puking every 75 minutes with nausea so acute it was painful.

Me (34) (PCOS), DH (36) and DD1 (4) and DD2(1). We are going to go for a third. Now, will we succeed?
#3 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 12:54 PM

I too took Diclectin... It didn't "cure" the morning sickness but I guess there was less of it. 

I also lived on crackers... I had them stashed everywhere, in the bathroom, bedside table, my car, everywhere!

#4 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 PM

I did feel queasy and have some aversions (couldn't stand diced tomatoes, lol).  But on the whole I had an awesome first trimester with my last baby, especially when compared to the 20 weeks of morning sickness with the one before that!  Here's what I did (I pulled out all the stops):

Ate from the time I got up until I went to bed: snack upon waking, breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, supper, before-bed snack.  Always protein with the snacks, generally protein and a carb.  I always had several snack-y type things with me if I needed to be out and about.

Wore Sea Bands (I had a Sea Band tan line.  Sexy!)

Took B6 3x a day (25mg each dose), also took a 1000mg time-release B12 every day

Doubled a bunch of meals as soon as I got the positive pregnancy test - pulled those out of the freezer when I felt bad.

Got healthy "comfort foods" (like full-fat Greek yogurt cups, peanut butter, trail mix, etc.) for easy snacks

Rested as much as possible

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#5 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 PM

Diclectin isn't available in the US, BUT diclectin is B6+Unisom, so you can just take those together and get the same affect.  It didn't do anything for me though. 

WAHM to Sofia 12/09 and angel1.gif 4/13

"If you want to be happy, be."  Tolstoy

familybed1.gifviolin.gifBFPChart2.gif

#6 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 06:01 PM

I am about 18 weeks. I have suffered from severe morning sickness as well as all day nausea and vomiting. I just started using the "preggie pop drops" that I found at my local grocery store and they help almost everytime that I feel sick! They are flavored hard candies made to ease morning sickness, and are actually pleasant to use! Hope this helps! (:
#7 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM

I was really sick for pregnancy 1 and 2 . . . this time around I was sick for weeks 6-8 and then it stopped . . . my mom insists it must be a different balance of nutrition in my body, but I can't think of anything I'm doing differently.  I really think it's just "one of those things" . . . that can't be controlled.  That being said, good nutrition beforehand certainly can't help, especially if you end up sick, at least your body will already be filled with good stuff!

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#8 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 06:38 PM

Before I even moved in bed in the morning (still laying down, I ate a couple crackers).  It really worked.   And I took one of the B vitamins.  I think it as b6?

#9 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 PM

I've never really had m/s with any of my 11 pregnancies.  But considering 7 of those babies went straight to Heaven, I don't really consider myself "lucky" ;)...if m/s would have guaranteed a healthy pregnancy, I would have taken it in a heartbeat!!!!  I only had one pregnancy where I suffered some strange nausea off and on but I lost that baby as well, so at least that proved to me that it doesn't necessarily mean a healthy pregnancy.  I DO believe I was low on B-vitamins that time, though, which absolutely could have played a part, and I was taking supplements to increase my progesterone (which wasn't low or anything, it was just a precaution).  I normally stick with a b-complex (multiple B-vits) throughout pregnancy.  Other than that, I don't really know WHY I don't get much, if any, during pregnancy.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#10 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing everyone! 1babysmom-- so sorry to hear about your losses. :( My last pregnancy, during which I was sick around the clock from 4.5-6.5 weeks, also ended in miscarriage, so I know that MS doesn't necessarily mean everything will be fine. I've had three very different pregnancies-- the first, I felt great, no nausea at all, but I lost the baby at 9 weeks. With my son, I had nausea off and on, but no vomiting, and then the nausea abruptly stopped-- I woke up one day and felt great. And with my last pregnancy, I was super sick before even finding out I was pregnant. 

I'm pretty sure my body was really run down with this last pregnancy-- I had just stopped nursing my 2 year old and there were other indications that my nutrient levels were low-- like 9 cavities after never having had a single one!! Now I'm trying to get my body back to a healthy place before we start TTC and hoping that helps keep the MS at bay. 

#11 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitanamama View Post

so I know that MS doesn't necessarily mean everything will be fine.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. More just justifying it for myself. smile.gif

So sorry about your loss as well. greensad.gif

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#12 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Oh no no-- I didn't feel like you were implying anything! Sorry if my wording was weird--I just meant that I can totally relate to being sick and then losing the pregnancy-- worst case scenario.

Wishing you a very healthy pregnancy this time around!

#13 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 07:43 AM

I am in my 11th week and I've not had any morning sickness, gagging, vomitting, etc. There are a handful of times when the smell of something has made me turn up my nose and leave the room. And there have been many times that I've felt hungry in an unappetizing way - not sure if I would call that nausea, but it's the closest I have come to it. That happens the most during the middle of the night, around 3am when my stomach is empty. The best way to stave it off that I have found is to drink a protein shake right before bed, and/or keep some protein snacks (like nuts) by my bedside to munch on if I wake up - something that takes the stomach a while to digest. Anytime I feel uncomfortable it tends to be tied to hunger, so if I just keep a little bit of food in my stomach then I'm OK. Even when I don't feel like eating, I find that once I take a bite my stomach starts to feel better and by bite 2 or 3 my appetite is back. I feel really lucky overall that my symptoms have not been debilitating. Good Luck!

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#14 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 03:26 PM

I'm only 7 weeks, but so far I haven't had any trouble with morning sickness. I took prenatal vitamins long before I started ttc, which they say helps with nausea. I always eat breakfast right when I get up, relatively bland stuff like steel cut oats and hard boiled eggs. I think getting lots of protein helps too. And because of my work schedule I eat dinner around 8 and go to bed within a couple hours, so my stomach doesn't get very empty overnight.

The one morning I had it, I didn't eat when I got up. It was my day off and I sat on the couch reading and drinking water, and started feeling not so good. Of course there is still plenty of time for me to develop morning sickness, but I'm crossing my fingers.

#15 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 06:51 PM

Although, I recently heard that morning sickness is actually a really good sign. It's really a pain and feels absolutely horrible, but knowing that it's a sign that my baby is doing well, definitely helps me to ease the pain (:
#16 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 PM

Take solace in what you can, for sure, but I don't think the reverse has to be true. Those of us not experiencing morning sickness don't need to add that as a reason to worry. Everyone's body is different, every pregnancy is different. My mom never had morning sickness with me, and I was born right on time and perfectly healthy.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#17 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinxy View Post

Everyone's body is different, every pregnancy is different. 

I definitely agree with this. Like I said, I wasn't very sick with my son, who was born healthy and on time. And then with this last pregnancy, I was really sick and lost it. (I'm not sharing that to freak anyone out-- normally MS is a sign that hormone levels are high which means the pregnancy is healthy. But there are always exceptions-- I guess I was one. )

Ever since my experience with MS with this last pregnancy, it's fascinated me. Why does it affect certain women and not others? What causes it? Why does it happen (biologically)? I'm probably making myself sound like a quaky pregnancy science nerd :) It just surprises me that we don't know more about it. I bet if men were the ones that carried babies and experienced morning sickness, there'd be a whole lot more time and energy put into figuring out how to prevent it.....

It just seems like such a crappy rite of passage for such a beautiful thing!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page