5 weeks with bad period pains - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I only 5 weeks pregnant but most days I get period pains throughout the day, Sometimes really bad.

Is this a normal symptom?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Some cramping is totally normal.  Are you having any bright red bleeding?  It seems people get more concerned when there is cramping and bleeding together.  Spotting can be common too in a healthy pregnancy.  I hope everything is totally fine.  Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

No theres no spotting so hopefully theres nothing to be alarmed about. Thanks pokeyAC :)

#4 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 04:51 PM

Are you well hydrated? I did hear that cramping can be a side effect of not drinking enough water.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#5 of 12 Old 03-15-2013, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yeh I have been drinking water but probably not enough every day. Thanks i'll try that hopefully it will help. I woke up again today really bad and felt so sick. Hopefully just a symptom
#6 of 12 Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 AM

Rapunzell, how are you?

#7 of 12 Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 AM

When I was first pregnant it felt like something was wrong. I was convinced it was ectopic. It turned out there was nothing wrong. The most frustrating part of pregnancy is that no one can feel what you're feeling and everyone tells you everything is normal, or to talk to your healthcare provider. My doctor told me that any kind of pain that comes and goes is OK, but if it's a continuous pain, come see him. The crampy feeling in the beginning was continuous though until about 12 weeks I think. My best guess is that it was just the uterus stretching like it's never been stretched before.

#8 of 12 Old 03-22-2013, 02:18 PM

With my first pregnancy, I had HORRENDOUS cramping early on.  The cramps were so bad that I just *knew* my pregnancy was at risk or over.  She'll turn eight this May.  :)  My OB thought perhaps I had terrible gas but I knew it wasn't that.  It was full on, intense cramping.  I don't know why but it was.  I never had any spotting with her until much later and then I only had the normal cervical spotting after exams. 

I'm now five weeks pregnant with my third.  I had forgotten about all the weird and often unexplainable aches and twinges and pinches and pulls that come along with pregnancy.  But this time they are coming MUCH sooner!  Try to relax and enjoy the ride. 

xoxo

#9 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 07:13 PM

I cramped from the night before the bfp until about 6 weeks. I'm almost 9 weeks now, so I'm not sure if I'm done cramping or not. It was about like my period cramps, maybe a bit less painful. Kinda just a dull ache that was on and off throughout the day.

When I googled it I found that is your uterus expanding.

#10 of 12 Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 AM

I found that the most concerning cramping was cervical cramping, especially if it was pretty regular. Uterine cramping can be bad or can be normal. Cervical cramping can be either as well, but I don't think you'd have constant cervical cramping like I ended up having with my early miscarriage. And I was having spotting at the time as well. So, unless you see blood, there's a good chance you are OK. Hope all is well. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#11 of 12 Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzell View Post

Hi,

I only 5 weeks pregnant but most days I get period pains throughout the day, Sometimes really bad.

Is this a normal symptom?

How's everything going, Rapunzell?  Hope you're well.

#12 of 12 Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 PM

Rapunzell - I actually posted this same question about 4 months ago....I was 6 weeks prego (this is my second pregnancy and healthy baby). I didn't have any cramping with my first - at least I don't remember - so I was extremely scared when I noticed how bad and often they were. It feels like strong menstrual cramps...almost 5-6 x a day. It was especially frustrating since my insurance only allowed a pre-natal visit at 8-9 weeks nothing before. Don't worry.....if you don't see bleeding, you are most likely just fine. I tried laying down, drinking more water, "walking it off", asking other moms, reading miscarriage stories to see if my symptoms matched theirs....which none really described constant period pains like you and I experience...I still experience the cramps occassionally even being 22 weeks along. It's normal trust me.....it's scary ansd concerning, but you have found a great blog to get support. This place is where I found comfort when I was having those pains and doubts. Try not to dwell on it....it's really hard not to I know, but there's no use on worrying yourself if there isn't anything you can do about it.

Give us an update once you have a OB visit! Let us know how your coming along?

Thoughts with you...

-Sabrina :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page