Breaking the news to older children - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-15-2013, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for some ideas for a good way to tell my DDs, who will be 17 & 15 when baby arrives, that they will be gaining another sibling. DD1 is very easy going, and at least outwardly will probably take the news well. DD2 is a little more vocal about her feelings, and may be a little resentful. They adore their little brother, who will be 2 this spring, but they sometimes think he's a pain, understandably. I try to be conscious of not taking advantage of them to babysit too often, and when I do ask them to watch him for longer than a quick "can you keep an eye on him while I run to the bathroom?" I pay them... but still, I'm afraid that their initial thoughts about another baby will be, "oh great, more work," no matter how hard I will try to make sure it doesn't turn out that way for them.

We've been open to, if not actually TTC, having another child for a little while now, so that DS can have a similar aged sibling. Last fall I miscarried shortly after we announced the girls (and other family members). They took the news well enough (pretty much as above), and we told them by baking a cake and decorating it with the names of all three sibs and a fourth row of question marks. It was cute and we are thinking of doing something along those lines, but I'm looking for suggestions. smile.gif

Any ideas?

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-15-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone? I know it's not super common to start over having more babies when your kids are teens, but I hoped I wasn't the only one! Just looking for help coming up with something fun and playful to help break the news with a smile smile.gif
Any suggestions are welcome!

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#3 of 5 Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

It isn't uncommon, and I know there are ladies on this forum who do have teenagers and are pregnant.  Give it a little more time, and someone with experience will answer you.

Try posting in our due date club. I *know* there are mommas with teens in there.

Me (34) (PCOS), DH (36) and DD1 (4) and DD2(1). We are going to go for a third. Now, will we succeed?
#4 of 5 Old 03-16-2013, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response smile.gif

I was just hoping to get some ideas, not necessarily only from BTDT moms, and I thought only asking one DDC would limit responses. Guess it's a boring topic. I'm planning to wait a few more days before we tell them, so no big rush.

#5 of 5 Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 AM

we told our DD's right away.  I'm one of those mamas who has trouble keeping a secret! Maybe you plan some thing special for them to break the news-such as a starbucks mother-daughter date.  My youngest was excited, my older DD not so much so, as she will have to share her room with her younger sister now. 

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page