6 weeks pregnant, am I miscarrying? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cramps started 20 minutes ago, I just went to the bathroom and I am bleeding lightly. I'm only 6 weeks pregnant and don't know how to be sure or not if this is a miscarriage? Is it even called that being this early? Would a pregnancy test be the only way to be sure? Might the hcg still be in my urine either way? I will get some tests later and post back with the result, but could you please give me some advice? Also can stress cause this? as I have been very stressed all week.

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#2 of 12 Old 03-19-2013, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

if i where you i would go to the hospital and get check out there could be more going on then you know

happily in love with dh blowkiss.gif and raise my three jelly beansjumpers.gif and missing my  babies in heavenangel3.gifangel3.gifangel2.gifangel1.gifangel1.gifangel1.gif angel.gif we finely got are rainbow and me and her daddy are so glad are rainbow is here  born on 11/07/2013 
#3 of 12 Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I would be hesitant to blame stress because I don't want you to blame yourself.  Often these things happen and we don't know why.  Often a woman can have bleeding in early pregnancy and go on to have a healthy baby.  HCG would most likely still show in your urine because if you are having a miscarriage, it takes a while for the HCG level to go back to zero.  A blood test and an ultrasound would be helpful to know what's going on.  By 6 weeks you may be able to see the heartbeat on an ultrasound.  I hope everything is A-OK! 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#4 of 12 Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM

it's a kind of a wait-and-see game with bleeding and early pregnancy.  an ultrasound would be the best way to really see what's going on, but keep in mind that light cramps can be fairly normal in early pregnancy and a little bit of bleeding isn't an absolute indicator of miscarriage.  

please don't blame yourself. an old ob of mine actually put things pretty well in perspective for me when he said that pregnancy is a pretty complex process and sometimes, things just don't work out like they're supposed to.  it doesn't mean you're defective at all and MANY women go on to have healthy pregnancies after a miscarriage.

good luck mama.  be gentle with yourself right now.

#5 of 12 Old 03-19-2013, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thinking of you, I hope it is just a case of "normal" early pregnancy bleeding! hug2.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#6 of 12 Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 PM

A friend of mine had spotting throughout her first trimester and delivered a healthy baby girl at term. I hope your situation is similar and that all is well.
#7 of 12 Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 PM

I had a lot of spotting and cramping in early pregnancy. I actually bled with any major activity or any sexual activity throughout my pregnancy. If I were you I would at least make a doctor appointment ASAP to check things out. I hope everything turns out okay! If not please do not blame yourself. It is NOT your fault.

corrina62176 likes this.
#8 of 12 Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you I am not blaming myself, I know I didn't do anything to cause this to happen, I was as careful with myself as I could be and you can't really control how stressed you are at certain times in life. This was not the right time for me.

Wanted to update that I continued to bleed throughout the evening, night and am still bleeding this morning. I took 2 pregnancy tests when I woke up and both were negative, so that confirms to me I am no longer pregnant. It's just like a regular period to be honest, maybe slightly heavier with the usual cramps. Being only 6 weeks pregnant, do you think it's okay not to bother with seeing a doctor about it? I assume everything sorts itself out on it's own with a 6 weeks early miscarriage?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#9 of 12 Old 03-20-2013, 04:11 AM

I'd see a dr to get a blood test to see whether you are in fact miscarrying. I didn't have any bleeding but the home pregnancy tests were ambiguous for me at 5-6 weeks. One was so faint I couldn't be sure, the other was clearly negative. I made an appt to find out what's going on and it turns out I was very pregnant but my hormones were outside the window that the test picked up. The bloodtest picks up any trace of pregnancy whereas the urine test is only sensitive in a specific window and may yield a false negative. I'm almost 22 weeks now and am very glad I took the time to find out for sure. I'd check with a blood test since there's a chance you're spotting and not miscarrying.
#10 of 12 Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 PM

Do you know what that specific window is, sky? Just out of curiousity smile.gif

Mama to I (3/11) and pregnant again (3/20/13) love.gif

The richness of life cannot be sold nor bought. --me
#11 of 12 Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 PM

A urine test should be accurate at 6 weeks. Def fontobthw doctor to make sure your levels are going down. It is still considered a miscarriage. Sorry hun. greensad.gif
#12 of 12 Old 03-21-2013, 11:55 PM

I dont know the specific window, sorry. All I can tell you is that I was late 5w - early 6w and I got a clear false negative with first morning urine. I wasn't miscarrying because I'm still pregnant and baby's squirming away happily and anatomical US showed no issues whatsoever. I don't plan on having more children but if I'm ever uncertain again, I'm confirming with a blood test. It was pretty scary to have a healthy, average pregnancy missed by the urine test - I sort of lost my faith in them to be honest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page