Thyroid med. question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-31-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was borderline in the middle of the preg. and have been taking thyroid med. for the past 4 1/2 months. I was good in 6 weeks. I'm currently 40 weeks, and haven't taken the med. these last few days. Will that have a negative effect?

Thanks.
#2 of 4 Old 04-01-2013, 05:27 AM

What medicine were you taking? If it was a regular T4 hormone like Synthroid, or generic Levothyroxine - gives your body T4 and your body in turn stores it for a while and slowly converts it to T3 - then you probably wouldn't feel results immediately and a couple of days missed here and there isn't probably the biggest deal in the world. If it's a combo T3 and T4 hormone pill, then your body will miss the ready supply of T3 much more quickly, as far as I understand. (I'm on a generic T4 replacement medicine myself.)

At this point, I don't think it'll affect your baby, as s/he should have developed their own thyroid at the end of the first trimester, but you do have to be careful about post-partum thyroid issues, as often even women with no thyroid problems will have some develop, temporarily, after giving birth. It's very easy for your thyroid hormones to swing wildly after giving birth, obviously especially if you've already had thyroid problems.

I'm hypothyroid and after my first birth, I didn't see an endocrinologist for a check-up post-partum and just kept taking the same medication I had been on during pregnancy and as a result I believe I went severely hyperthyroid and was just a mess for months. I thought it was post-partum depression and recovery from a rough birth and so on, but now, looking back, I really think it was my thyroid totally out of whack. Please don't risk that - post-partum time is hard enough as it is!

Also, thyroid issues, if not closely monitored post-partum, can mess with breastfeeding (I was lucky not to have any issues with that, but it can definitely happen). 

Lastly, once your baby is born, you should test to see if the baby had congenital thyroid problems as well - if so, the baby will need to start taking thyroid hormone replacement as well.

So, in short, it's probably ok right now - though really, you shouldn't stop medication without talking to your doctor first about it - definitely make sure you get your thyroid checked asap after giving birth and get your baby checked asap once born as well.

Good luck!

#3 of 4 Old 04-04-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I gave birth at this point, and it was smooth and well. With my first four, I had no issues. It was only with number 5, and my number was only slightly elevated. I hope not to have continued issues. My doctor told me not to take it after birth and then check at the post-partum visit, and then see if I need it further or not. If I feel horrible, I'll go to my Dr. before my visit to check it out. Btw, in Israel, all babies are checked at birth for thyroid issues. In future pregnancies, I'll need to check right away.
#4 of 4 Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 PM

Great advice, book!

Sun, I hope your levels to normal. In my experience dry skin, fatgue beyond sleep deprivation, and inability to stsy warm, along with milk supply issues may point to continued hypothyroidism.

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page