Who is drinking or drank coffee daily during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In the first trimester, I didn't drank much caffeine.....maybe a cup of green tea a day. Didn't want to miscarry! One thing you guys should know about me, is that I have chronic fatigue syndrome and sleep apnea/daytime drowsiness, so just in general, pregnant or not, it's tough for me to function during the day. I was a coffee drinker before getting pregnant.

So around week 12 I had family come into town and REALLY needed to be able to function, at least on a small level, to participate in some activities. Granted, no one forced me, but I had to find a balance between never doing anything, and drinking 1  6 oz cup of coffee to function and not miss everything.

I read online that 100-200 mg is considered to be safe, so I try to always keep it below 100 mg a day. I also read that in the second trimester, you metabolize coffee more slowly than when not pregnant or even vs first trimester (meaning it affects you MORE), and then by the third trimester, your processing of it realllly starts to slow down, meaning even less goes further, so you should taper things down towards the end. This goes along with what I "feel" from caffeine....I can tell that as the months go by, it takes much less to give me a caffeine buzz......almost to the point now (at 32 weeks) that a couple sips of half-caf gives me energy, and I slow down at that point.

So to give you an idea, in month 4 I might have been drinking 1 to 1.5 cups a day, diluted, over course of the day (about 100 mg). Now, I will order a half-caf latte from Starbucks, which only has 40 mg of caffeine, and that's it for the day. However, if you believe the info about your body's processing of it, 40 mg in the third trimester is about the same as 100 mg earlier in pregnancy.

However, I do notice that the baby moves more about 5-10 minutes after I drink my coffee, and that freaks me out. It's almost like he'll be sleeping all day, then when I have the coffee, bam!, he's moving. I also notice that the days I consume more caffeine (like maybe 40 mg in morning and 40 mg in afternoon, in third trimester), the baby is more active all day, and more active past midnight. It could all be randomness and not related, but I just don't know.

I worry I am doing the baby harm, but I honestly am having a hard time cutting down to less than 40 mg a day (the amount that gives me a small buzz and what the baby seems to move after). I keep wanting to find the motivation to stop, but I'm having a hard time with motivation because I do know it's not THAT much caffeine, it's within recommendations, and I know that I really need it to get anything done.

Did anyone else go through this? Did you feel the baby move more? Should I worry about that?

I worry the caffeine is blocking the absorption of nutrients too, like magnesium, etc. I guess I could take extra, but I still am concerned. I know the simple answer is to stop, but it's not that simple. :( I hate the days where hubby comes home and I was a zombie all day, I almost feel like that is worse for my health, not getting anything done.

I am also wondering, to those that did drink coffee daily, do you feel it affected your child's growth in the womb (I read it can cause less bloodflow through placenta)? (sorry if too personal!!!! But throwing it out there in case anyone wants to reassure me.....)

#2 of 29 Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Another daily coffee drinker here! I skipped it as much as possible during the first trimester, but like you, I have chronic fatigue and just can't function without a little boost.

I don't notice any difference in movement when I drink coffee, but I do find that sugar makes baby dance like crazy. I actually drank quite a bit of espresso when I was pregnant with DS, and I don't think it negatively impacted his growth or development.

I would pay attention to how you feel though. If 40 mg is giving you enough energy, maybe keep it at that level or below. Would something else, like a walk, give you an energy boost?

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#3 of 29 Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 AM

Coffee makes me nauseous during the first trimester, even though I am a rabid coffee lover.  But last time around I was drinking half-caff every day in the morning during the second trimester.  This time around it's taken me longer to warm up to the smell and taste of it again, but it's coming.  For now, I drink green and white tea when I need a boost (where's that second trimester bounce everyone talks about?!?), and it's funny - what you said about metabolizing it differently...I can drink a cup of green tea now and feel like I drank a cup of coffee.  Now it makes sense, thanks!

At any rate, my son is just fine.  Smart, even.  ;)  But everyone metabolizes things differently.  I have friends who swear by B complex for extra energy, although it doesn't seem to do a thing for me.

I haven't noticed caffeine correlating with extra movement, but I'm still a bit early where a lot is happening down there without me noticing necessarily.  I could use a cup of green right now, I'll report back if I notice anything.  :)  Definitely try to take a walk, as early in the day as your schedule allows!

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#4 of 29 Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 AM

I drink a mug a day. I follow it up with lots of water for hydration. I feel ok with this choice. 

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#5 of 29 Old 04-04-2013, 08:31 AM

I am a 1-2 cup a day coffee drinker, even through pregnancy. The exception for me was my last pregnancy- the smell of coffee made me nauseous so I avoided it, but I miscarried at about 11 weeks (not implying a connection!). My kids are happy and healthy, with no known effects from my caffeine habit smile.gif

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#6 of 29 Old 04-04-2013, 10:51 AM

I don't like coffee, but I do drink caffeinated tea and pop, not because of the caffeine, but because I like the beverages and I don't always have a caffeine-free choice. I too keep about the same with my caffeine intake, probably a bit higher than you, but well within the recommendations. Honestly, since you are so sensitive to caffeine, you are probably better off than I am as I am not sensitive to it so it is easy for me to "overdose" without realizing it! If you are worried though, I would keep a journal of baby's movements for the day noting when you eat, drink, exercise, sleep and when baby is active. Babies are often active after sugary drinks/food (I think my babies were doing acrobatics after that glucola sugar drink eyesroll.gif ), so it may be from that more than the caffeine.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#7 of 29 Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 AM

Well, I had my green tea today (it's a stronger variety too), and I felt some movement after I started drinking it, but I also ate a banana.  I'm blaming the banana.  banana.gif

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#8 of 29 Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISDiva View Post

Well, I had my green tea today (it's a stronger variety too), and I felt some movement after I started drinking it, but I also ate a banana.  I'm blaming the banana.  banana.gif

My baby moves when I consume anything. Especially spicy food, ice water and anything sweet. It shouldn't be a barometer for whether caffeine is ok or not. 

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#9 of 29 Old 04-04-2013, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I was very paranoid with my 1st kiddo, much less so with my 2nd.  I drank coffee pretty much every day (latte w/espresso that I make at home).  I never noticed the baby moving more or less because of it.  Babies will move more after Mom having sugar (hence drinking OJ if you're worried about the baby not moving a lot)...and most people have sugar in their coffee...I'm pretty sure that's what does it.  

#10 of 29 Old 04-04-2013, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I drank coffee throughout my pregnancy. I generally tried to keep it to two cups or less a day.
#11 of 29 Old 04-04-2013, 05:00 PM

I'll have 1-2 cups of half-caf or 1 cup of black tea each morning.  On the occasion when I had a strong cup of regular (was staying with friends), baby had a dance party a few minutes after I finished!

Mama to sweet baby L, born July 1, 2013
#12 of 29 Old 04-04-2013, 05:34 PM

I drank coffee with my second, but not my first. I was less worried about stuff the second time.

#13 of 29 Old 04-07-2013, 03:49 PM

I've limited myself to one cup a day with this pregnancy.  Which my midwife OK-ed even 2 cups.  I'm more worried about the sugar intake then the caffeine.  My blood sugar runs high even though I eat healthy and exercise and don't eat lots of grains.  I put 2 spoons of raw agave in my coffee and a dash of organic hazelnut half and half which has sugar in it. 

I can't remember my caffeine intake with the other 3 pregnancies. On some days I do have 2 cups now that I'm in my second trimester.  I like to drink Kombucha. It gives me a huge burst of energy, but it has a small amount of alcohol in it.  My midwife would not OK it because there is just not enough research about it's effects during pregnancy.  So now I'm avoiding that too, but can't say I'll go the rest of my pregnancy without one. 

supermod.gif who isbelly.gifwith #4  has jumpers.gif . Believe in homeschool.gif,bfinfant.gif,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF,h20homebirth.gif,goorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif

#14 of 29 Old 04-07-2013, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm at 14 weeks and am back on my coffee.  It made me so sick during the first trimester, but then the lack of it made me so groggy, that when the nausea let up I went back to a cup from Tim Horton's in the morning.  I do try to alternate days with green tea or unsweetened iced tea, but with a 5 year old in the mornings I "need" the boost. 

With DD, I remember drinking way more coffee than I do now and she is just fine.

DD 2/08
#15 of 29 Old 04-07-2013, 06:09 PM

I drank 1 cup about every other day in second and third trimester and now have a healthy one month old. I don't have a thyroid so I hear you re: needing a boost.

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#16 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISDiva View Post

My baby moves when I consume anything. Especially spicy food, ice water and anything sweet. It shouldn't be a barometer for whether caffeine is ok or not. 

yea! What is with the ice thing? My baby gets moving after ice and ice water too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I drank coffee throughout my pregnancy. I generally tried to keep it to two cups or less a day.

Same here. Plus this time it settled my morning sickness stomach first thing in the morning and I had a 2 year old that needs my attention. Currently at 37 weeks it is giving me major heartburn but I still drink a tiny bit if I need a boost.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#17 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 12:48 PM

I drank 1/2 to 1 cup of coffee almost every morning when I was pregnant and I don't remember any change in baby's movements related to the coffee.  Occasionally if I was at a really good coffeeshop later in the day I would have some kind of espresso drink too but that was just every now and then.

Baby is 2 1/2 months old now and totally fine!  I think it's easy to get overly worried about what we eat and drink when pregnant.  I just tried to be healthy in general and let myself indulge in things I enjoyed in moderation.

#18 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 01:27 PM

Coffee effects me a lot so I don't drink it often, but I will tell you that my family is from Guatemala and if drinking a little coffee was bad during pregnancy I just don't see how that country would have survived LOL. Some folks even give coffee to their babies! It's crazy. My husband went down there with me once and when he told my uncle he didn't drink coffee they asked him if he was Mormon (we are not Mormon). LOL

Anyway, I have always heard that one cup is fine and I bet even more than that is fine as well. I would stay away from Red Bull, though. :-P

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#19 of 29 Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

OP here, Sorry I was gone for so long!!! Thank you for the reassurance and for letting me know your little ones are doing just fine. I guess I'm not so abnormal for drinking coffee. I HAVE been cutting back....

Slightly different topic: I just read that you can consume 200-300 mg while breastfeeding, because only 1% of the caffeine makes it to your breastmilk. This is way different than what I thought! I thought I was going to have to cut back even more, or stay around 40 mg per day. Did you all continue with the coffee once you were BF'ing?

#20 of 29 Old 04-10-2013, 10:27 AM

I drank as much coffee as I wanted throughout my pregnancy and breastfeeding... I didn't skip the first trimester because I didn't even know I was pregnant... everything was fine smile.gif

#21 of 29 Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 AM

Yes, now I'm BFing and most mornings I have my cup of coffee.  Occasionally I'll have a second later in the day.  It's working out fine. smile.gif

#22 of 29 Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post

OP here, Sorry I was gone for so long!!! Thank you for the reassurance and for letting me know your little ones are doing just fine. I guess I'm not so abnormal for drinking coffee. I HAVE been cutting back....

Slightly different topic: I just read that you can consume 200-300 mg while breastfeeding, because only 1% of the caffeine makes it to your breastmilk. This is way different than what I thought! I thought I was going to have to cut back even more, or stay around 40 mg per day. Did you all continue with the coffee once you were BF'ing?

Absolutely!  I needed it even more then!  I breastfed both my kiddos for over 2 years, and I did have to give up dairy various times with both of them as they both seemed to be mildly intolerant.  That really sucked having to replace milk with "oat milk" or some other substitute. I'm very picky as far as my coffee goes.

#23 of 29 Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 AM

I still drink coffee while bfing. I try to only drink it in the morning, but some days I need it in afternoon! LO is fine. smile.gif

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#24 of 29 Old 04-10-2013, 12:51 PM

I always tried not to drink a ton in the beginning when they are constantly nursing, but that is when you need it most b/c you're not sleeping! After they were several months old I usually returned to my habit of 2-3 cups in the morning and maybe more in the afternoon. Did not notice any affect at all on them.

And as far as caffeine and lower birth weight I drank coffee while pregnant with all of them and none of them were under 7lbs. 14oz. First was 9.5.

supermod.gif who isbelly.gifwith #4  has jumpers.gif . Believe in homeschool.gif,bfinfant.gif,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF,h20homebirth.gif,goorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif

#25 of 29 Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 AM

I drank a lot in the 2nd and third trimesters of my last two pregnancies. I couldn't stomach it in the first trimester. I also drink a lot while breastfeeding. Both my kids are good sleepers. I don't think it's going to hurt your baby.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#26 of 29 Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM

I heard that caffeine actually has the opposite effect on babies, that it actually makes them drowsy. Hogwash or wishful thinking?

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#27 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

I heard that caffeine actually has the opposite effect on babies, that it actually makes them drowsy. Hogwash or wishful thinking?

Both! 

I am a coffee-drinking breastfeeder. I've found that it's wise to keep it to the morning or early afternoon, unless I want to be up at midnight hanging out with my (happy) wide-awake baby.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#28 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 05:06 AM

I drink one cup of coffee a day. The funny thing is that I don't even like coffee. A while back DH and I were having some marital issues, and I was looking for ways to make more effort, you know... be more *there* with him. DH is a morning person, and I am not. He likes coffee, and I don't. So I started drinking coffee as a way to both do something with him that he likes, and to actually be awake at 5am with him. That's very important to me, so I'm going to keep doing it.

Also, during my previous pregnancies I was a big soda drinker, like all day every day. I quit that for my health a while back, and now I drink water all day. I know coffee has more caffeine than soda, but one 8 ounce cup of coffee can't be worse for the baby than can after can of Coke non-stop.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#29 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the input!!! smile.gifsmile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page