Date off by three weeks?? Is this possible? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone,

I'm BFing DS and my period came back when he was 9 months. I had TWO periods and then a positive pregnancy test. I was not and did not keep a close track of the periods since we didn't care of we got pregnant again but they seemed pretty "regular" as far as cycle length goes.

So...here's the glitch...I had some EXTREMELY minor spotting. Like one or two drops of very watery pink. I mentioned it to my midwife and she wanted a test just to be sure. We are estimating I am just under 8 weeks right now based on when I can remember my last period. Today at the ultrasound the pregnancy measured only 5 weeks. Not a day more.

So...is it possible that this could be so far off (like maybe my cycle was longer than I remember and I ovulated SUPER late)? Or is it looking more like this is probably not a viable pregnancy?

I did have a miscarriage before DS and I am scared that this will be another one :( 

Any experience you've had or feedback is helpful--thank you!

Alicia.

DW married to DH expecting first baby in April 2012!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 PM

How long after your last period was the pregnancy test positive? Do you know? 

It certainly seems possible that you could have ovulated late, particularly if you are still BFing or are under physiological or psychological stress (which you probably are with an infant). 

I assume they will redo the ultrasound in a little while? 

Old 04-04-2013, 10:49 AM

I recall that it took about three or four months after my cycles returned after having my son to get back to their normal rhythm. So, I think it's totally possible for you to have ovulated later than normal, especially if you weren't specifically tracking them.

Wife to my sweet Husband Man, Mama to my adorable little Pickle (01/23/10) and expecting another bundle of joy (05/13)

Old 04-04-2013, 11:00 AM

I was on birth control when I got pregnant about 2 years ago and had my pregnancy dated. Since we weren't trying, I have no idea when my son was conceived, but I've tried to figure it out just out of curiosity. I used to mark my periods on a calendar and it would seem from the date they gave me that I ovulated 2 weeks after when I would have guessed I ovulated. At the time it didn't really concern me because I didn't even know how pregnancies were dated/calculated, but all I can say is that it can be off! ...and my son is now happy and healthy, so I don't think it's a cause for concern :)

Now that I'm post-pregnancy (presumably) ovulating, it's even more off whack so I wouldn't be surprised if it was 4-6 weeks off. 

Old 04-04-2013, 06:33 PM

I have a similar situation. I'm breast feeding. LMP was Jan 14. Took a positive PT on Feb 11. Went to the doc last week on Monday thinking I was 10 weeks. Shoes a 6 week sac no hearbeat. They tell me probable miscarriage. I went back this past Monday and now shows a complete sac with a 6 w fetus with fetal pole no heartbeat. Doc says looks like early pregnancy? How can I be 6 weeks when I should be 11? Not sure my gut tells it us a miscarriage. I don't want one but it just doesn't add up. Good luck with everything!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 PM

It's really tough to know what the situation is without a repeat u/s about a week or so after the first one. Do you remember when you got the positive pregnancy tests? If they were more than a week or week and a half before your scan, that could be a concerning sign, but if they were less than a week or week and a half before your scan, you could just have ovulated "late" due to PP cycles being different to your usual cycles. Sending you great vibes for a healthy bub and answers soon.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 PM

I think it's possible. Remember that sperm can survive up to a week under the right conditions. With my current, viable pregnancy (25 weeks tomorrow) based on my LMP, I conceived on cycle day 25 or so - waaaay late, also nursing. I think 3 weeks is a big gap but not impossible. If you feel well and aren't noticing bleeding or cramping, your body may simply be off its regular rhythm a bit. I'd stay optimistic unless other symptoms/signs surface. Congratulations!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:53 PM

three weeks definitely is on the boarder of too long. When did you get a positive test?

User Tag List