Are you high risk for preterm labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am.  Had a preemie, he's fine and turning 10 this summer.  I had another child shortly after and my symptoms of PTL were far more exaggerated and obvious and began sooner so they put me on bedrest for months.  It worked, he stayed in until his due date and then came out promptly and over 9 pounds.

This time, it's 8-10 years later since I've dealt with this, and I'm not expecting different results with my uterus (I have had surgery on my cervix which is probably why the "braxton hicks" contractions that are actually actual contractions start in the 5th month and start effacing the cervix in the 6th or 7th, so it would be surprising if this time it's going to be different but it's too early to tell).   So, you ladies who are dealing with this now or have dealt with this in the last five years, tell me what sort of approaches you have tried to prevent preterm labor, and how did they work?   In 2011, the FDA approved progesterone vaginal gel to stop the contractions and apparently they work in a third of women.  Anyone tried something along these lines (i.e. options and suggestions that weren't around a decade ago)....?  

I'm hoping there are alternatives to bedrest.  praying.gif

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#2 of 2 Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have any help but I want to know what others say! I had my DD (now 20 months old) at 34 weeks. My midwife is doing a ton of tests to see if there is anything she can find that we can try to manage now to help me keep this one in full term. I'm REALLY hoping to avoid bedrest - that would drive me crazy. With DD I had what I thought were Braxton-Hicks as well until I realized they were exactly 7 minutes apart. That's when I met my midwife at the hospital and found out I was 3 cm dilated and 90% effaced. So it sounds like we have similar histories.

I know when I was in labour with DD I asked if there was anything they could do to stop labour and my MW told me that there is something but it hasn't been proven and they don't really want to use it since at 34 weeks the baby is usually just fine, just a little small. And she was totally fine (APGARs of 9 and 9) so we were very lucky.

I don't know if anything new is out since then that has been well tested but I'm interested to hear what others say.

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page