Placenta position- should i worry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 38 weeks pregnant and have had a great pregnancy so far. No ultrasounds and no concerns. But I've been playing with a fetoscope this week (Borrowed from a student midwife friend) and have a question. I know and can easily find the baby's heartbeat but also think I can find placental sounds (a loud whoosh, whoosh) but it's very low on the left hand side, I can hear it over a diameter of a few inches but It disappears under my pubic bone. So now I'm worried about placenta previa. Should I be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 03:20 AM

I have no experience with a low-lying placenta, so I don't know if there are any other signs/symptoms you can look out for. I think it's worth calling your carer to get their expert advice; after all, that's what they're there for.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 AM

What does your care provider say about the position of the placenta? Since you're not trained extensively on the use of the fetoscope to ascertain placental position, you simply can't know if it's an issue. Of course ultrasounds are the easiest way to find out for sure but I understand that not everyone is comfortable using them routinely. Your MW or other care provider should be able to assess you with a fetoscope and interpret the results with more accuracy and experience and make a recommendation as to whether an US would be necessary. There's definitely a good chance that your cervix is completely clear and a low lying placenta wouldn't be an issue but I would want to be aware of a previa
Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 AM

Most incidence of placenta previa cause bleeding by the 28th week.

User Tag List