Major discomfort with underwear/pants! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm experiencing some annoying discomfort with clothing this pregnancy at 15wks now (will be my 4th pregnancy, I have a 3yo daughter). I just cannot stand wearing underwear and now pants seem to be tight/ill fitting or hot on my belly and especially around the hips/lady parts.

I know there are some maternity options. I could just "free ball it" so-to-speak, but that would just be weird and I cannot really *not* wear underwear. Though I don't wear any to bed. I also don't enjoy wearing dresses mostly because I'm especially cold this pregnancy and the weather isn't warm yet. I feel I look really huge and dumpy in skirts/dresses, especially maternaty styles that are tight everywhere but the bump!

Being overweight and pregnant means less clothing options, so any tips here would be great! I was an 16/18 prepregnancy and old navy's maternaty clothes are all I'm wearing. I wanted to do more knits and layers so I got some leggings and tunics. The fit of the pants/leggings are driving me crazy!!!

Should I really buy maternaty underwear? Anyone else having these issues?

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#2 of 9 Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 AM

I've found Old Navy skirts in that size to be pretty nice (I too am a 16/18 non-pregnant), they have some long ones too if you are feeling cold. For underwear, I normally wear bikini style and find those are still comfy while pregnant, not sure what style you wear but try some cheap ones of those. I usually have to upsize my underwear as my butt/thighs get bigger during pregnancy, so that might be part of the problem too. As far as shirts that make you feel less frumpy, just keep looking, especially maternity consignment if you can. They do make XL (that's the size that generally fits me pregnant, sometimes L for shirts) shirts that are tight but stretchy on the belly too.

I can't help you with being hot around the lady parts, I've had that problem all pregnancy, but breathable cotton underwear helps some and skirts/dresses when you can. Layer a nice sweater over a long dress or a long shirt with whatever shirt. I've also got some nice light/breathable pants from various places: Motherhood, JCPenney, etc.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#3 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

I am wearing bikini fit underwear and you are right, they feel more comfortable now that I think about it. I still am dying to take them off at night. I wore yoga pants very comfortably last pregnancy. This time around they feel tight and hot and sometimes even itchy! I might just be showing so early that I'll have to buy some maternity ones. I managed to get away with not buying any new clothes until I was around 7 months, the bella band worked great to keep my pants up while I was at work, at a desk. Not running after a 3yo all day. Ha!

Any other tips for me are welcome!

#4 of 9 Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 AM

I think I put maternity pants on at 5 or 6 weeks this pregnancy (my second). I am having twins, but really that doesn't make a big difference in belly size until later. Definitely get in maternity clothes earlier if you need to, most people do for the second pregnancy!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#5 of 9 Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 AM

yes I found maternity necessary at like 8 weeks. I also do skirts with prego leggins

undies are of necessity because I am so leaky I wear a pad, otherwise I would be without any and do so when I can.

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

#6 of 9 Old 04-14-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View Post

yes I found maternity necessary at like 8 weeks. I also do skirts with prego leggins

undies are of necessity because I am so leaky I wear a pad, otherwise I would be without any and do so when I can.

OMG this! This is me exactly with this pregnancy, and it's my 4th pregnancy but the one right before was my only live birth. I am now worrying this weirdness and discomfort down in the lady parts is actually a UTI starting. My urine was positive but they need to culture it before giving me a for sure YES on the diagnosis. Really tho?!!?!?! irked.gif

I'm so darn sensitive this time around. And I thought it was bad with my daughter! I actually broke out into hives a few times (not bad, thank goodness) and got some weird looking rash thing on my belly!

I bought some super soft undies at Khols that feel great but still feel a bit tight. I am having trouble getting underwear in a size 10 that aren't briefs. ;(

#7 of 9 Old 04-14-2013, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought maternity underwear was silly, but I am carrying low and even my normal briefs ride too high unless I fold them down.. Then, hey are too tight.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#8 of 9 Old 04-17-2013, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I just feel huge around the hips right now. And being my size already means I'm in deep doo doo if I get any larger.

The strange thing is... My tops are HUGE. ON I guess assumes XL maternity shirts have XL boobs. Mine feel like they are shrinking!! I know they can't be but it's weird for clothing to be so ill-fitting. I feel like I'm huge and in pictures taken look huge too. greensad.gif ugh!

#9 of 9 Old 04-17-2013, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
@tilly, see my "hips" post for my thoughts on hip growth. Wowza! I too am worried that if my hips don't go back, I'll be sized out of regular stores, even thought I'd be a healthy weight for myself. Lame.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page