Gestational Diabetes Support Thread 2013 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 76 Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking to start another support thread for Gestational Diabetes (GD).

I was Dx with GD 2 weeks ago and I am working to manage my # so I can have a homebirth. I have been increasing my exercise time and also really tracking my food so that I can see how my body reacts. It seems any whole wheat grain throws me off, so now I am going to see about other options since I really like my one piece of toast in the morning with my eggs. The rest of it I can live with out mostly.

I am also having trouble regulating overnight numbers and after breakfast- any ideas there?

I went for a walk after breackfast before I tested and wondered if that could possibly throw it off? I was 170 an hour after eating my normal breakast...

Also hoping others might have food ideas too...

Here are the older support support threads for those wising to dig around:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/945665/gestational-diabetes-support-group

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1309375/the-new-gestational-diabetes-support-thread

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 76 Old 04-09-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Links (will edit as more are suggested):

Carb exchange for Veggies:

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/diabetes/vdc/pdf/veggiecarblist.pdf

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

#3 of 76 Old 04-09-2013, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm so glad a new thread was started. I just got put on insulin today at 12 weeks. :-/ I had it with my last pregnancy and no matter how well I managed my diet I could not get my fasting numbers down. And this is with zero carbs. Even half an apple would be too much.

With this pregnancy I am being MUCH healthier. I do eat a small amount of carbs, always whole, such as one slice of whole grain sourdough. I guess I just decided to keep things moderate as to try not to go insane.

I'm sort of bummed right now. My blood pressure was elevated as well. I am a pretty healthy person. I just don't get it.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#4 of 76 Old 04-09-2013, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

It is hard to navigate for sure, especially when we make good choices. 12 weeks is kind of early, are your levels already showing a reaction? Or is the insulin a precautionary?

#5 of 76 Old 04-09-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View Post

It is hard to navigate for sure, especially when we make good choices. 12 weeks is kind of early, are your levels already showing a reaction? Or is the insulin a precautionary?

Twelve weeks is early for sure. I was already prediabetic in the past but was doing much better between pregnancies. I think it has to do with the fact that I already have Hashimotos Thyroiditis and somehow everything is related. I just hate it because I somehow feel responsible, like this is all because I don't eat right and I'm too fat. Today when I came home from the doc, my mom (who is visiting) kept telling me I could control it with diet alone but I know in my case this isn't true. As I said before I tried so hard in my last pregnancy and could never get my fastings down.

Anyway, waaa waaa woe is me. :-/ It's lame, but on a good note, I saw my baby on ultrasound today and she/he waved at me with five perfect little fingers. <3

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#6 of 76 Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 PM

Oh and yes, my levels are already high.

joy.gif

#7 of 76 Old 04-10-2013, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

I have thyroid issues too!! (However I am overweight, which is due to inactivity during work hours mostly.) yes it is all related!! I get the whole people think it is because I don't eat we'll or move my body at all- which isn't true. When the nutritionalist looked at my food log she laughed and said "$#!+ you eat better than I do!" I've gotten some tips and I am really pushing to manage with diet and exercise if I can, however I know that isn't always the case, but even if I need insulin I'd still like to focus on the deep self care of eating well and exercising more regularly.
It is so hard to navigate.
I really wish people understood what it meant to be on this side of it when they give advice. Or better yet if they didn't give advice unless asked :-D
That is awesome you had an u/s and were able to see your baby so clearly. I too had one yesterday!! It is so neat (I will have one or 2 more because of my bicornuate uterus).
I find it helps me to remember the reason for all this self care and whirlwind of stress

#8 of 76 Old 04-10-2013, 01:47 PM

Amlikam, thanks for all your input. It really helps to know I'm not alone!

I was wondering what is considered the normal range for pregnancy? I was surprised yesterday when they told me they wanted my daytime numbers to be less than 120. Does anyone have any input in this?

joy.gif

#9 of 76 Old 04-10-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

I am still trying to figure this out. Kmom has some great thoughts on the subject as well. It is true that 120 is the "standard of care" however I have yet to gine anything which supports it as evidence care. I would love if someone had more information to contribute here!

#10 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 AM

Hey ladies! I had GD with my last pregnancy and my baby was LGA and had severe hypoglycemia. She's doing fine now, but I am determined to keep my blood sugar low. I am being tested for latent adult onset diabetes which is an autoimmune disease. It causes a slow progression to type 1 diabetes. Dalia, I would insist on getting my antibodies tested, especially since you already have an autoimmune disorder. most people with type 2 can control it with diet. If you can't, that's a red flag that there might be something else going on.
Anyway please don't feel bad girls! I really don't believe that being overweight causes diabetes, in fact it's probably the other way around. People with blood sugar issues tend to have crazy messed up metabolisms. It's very hard to maintain a low body weight when your blood sugar swings back and forth. There is a lot of great info about this on the website www.bloodsugar101.com.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#11 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 AM

Thank you, scottishmommy. Wow... I guess I will have my antibodies checked. To be honest that scares the hell out of me. I REALLY don't want type 1 diabetes. :-(

joy.gif

#12 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 12:02 PM

Dalia- me too! That's why I haven't had the test yet! I just don't want to know:-( if you do it, I'll do it!

#13 of 76 Old 04-15-2013, 06:50 AM

Well I haven't got gestational diabetes but I am. A type 1 who is pregnant. Very very sick of blood glucose testing and injections. Btw I'm overweight and for type 1 5 years ago due to a massive shock and prolonged period of stress. Nothing to do with my weight!! I don't know what the conversion is but I have to keep my levels under 6 Mmol fasting and under 7.8 Mmol 1 hour post meals. I use levimir and novo rapid and I am currently raising my levimir to bring my fasting down. It's currently bout 7mmol in the morning.
#14 of 76 Old 04-15-2013, 08:50 AM

Well I went to the doc and they told me to keep it under 95 in the morning and less than 135 during the day. Right now I'm just figuring out what I react most to. :-)

joy.gif

#15 of 76 Old 04-15-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I tested this morning an hour after breakfast and my level was 171 but 2 hours after I tested at 90!!! However I didn't wash my hands before the first test and wondering if I picked up something from the berries I ate for breakfast on my hands? (is it really gross I didn't wash my hands before testing? I did wash them before testing 2 hours out.)

Thoughts? I was also incredibly stressed this morning- like super crying on the toilet and freaking out over everything... ugh... anyhow people keep reminding me that stress can cause high levels too.

#16 of 76 Old 04-15-2013, 11:27 AM

Amlikan-
Yeah stress can raise your BS, but it also could have been residual berry sugar. What else did you eat?

#17 of 76 Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 AM

Also, it's not uncommon for your BS to drop dramatically after a spike. Basically your 2nd response insulin levels can overcompensate for the spike.

#18 of 76 Old 04-15-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

I had berries (2 small handfuls) plain yogurt and avocado with cinnamon on it.

#19 of 76 Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM

Ok first of all that sounds really good right now. Secondly, that should not have caused such a high spike (in my experience). Are your fastings good?

#20 of 76 Old 04-15-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

My fasting was high last night 137... however I think it was an off # too... I had a rough night last night... was from 3-5am

#21 of 76 Old 04-15-2013, 02:40 PM

what is your average fasting? 137 is high. They put me on insulin at that point. :-/

joy.gif

#22 of 76 Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

My average fasting would be like 125

#23 of 76 Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:

My average fasting would be like 125

They are okay with that? They told me mine had to be below 95 and put me on insulin. :-/

joy.gif

#24 of 76 Old 04-16-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

I see my endocrinologist tomorrow. they might recommend insulin, but I will refuse it. From my understanding the fasting number significance vs after meals number significance is disputable. Since my after meals average 112 I am not worried.

I will see after tomorrow what they think. Really they can't "make" me do anything... I personally don't believe there is enough conclusive data to support using insulin in my case personally, but we will see.

-alisa

#25 of 76 Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 AM

A fasting of 125 is very high. That's considered diabetic, pregnant or not. A little insulin at night will help bring that number down. I would definitely put in a call to your midwife. Its also possible that your meter is off. If you can afford it, get a different brand and cross check them. Amazon usually has pretty good deals on diabetic supplies. I'm so sorry your numbers are high! It's so frustrating.

#26 of 76 Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 AM

I have read a lot on the subject and there is an argument that gestational diabetes is not really un-natural, that the blood sugar does go up in some pregnant women but is not a danger to the baby or the mama.

My thing is a little different because I was already prediabetic and my first baby was 11 pounds!!! Yeah, I'll be trying to avoid that this time LOL.

joy.gif

#27 of 76 Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 AM

Amlikan, did you give up your piece of toast in the morning? I keep getting higher numbers after my toast in the morning but like you, I don't want to give it up, damn it! It's just one little piece of whole grain sourdough. :-(

I'll give it up if you do.... maybe.... :-P

joy.gif

#28 of 76 Old 04-16-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

I did give it up however this morning I tried it again and I went right up.

#29 of 76 Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:

I did give it up however this morning I tried it again and I went right up.

Darn it!!! :-P

joy.gif

#30 of 76 Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 PM

Heavy carbohydrate like bread and pasta will push your numbers up. Try reducing the carb and having protein with it. Scrambled eggs etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page