Preventing Stretch Marks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you slather up your tummy to prevent stretch marks? With what? How was your outcome?

I'm on baby #4 here and seem to have forgotten to slather up this time around. I don't know if it is really necessary? 

I think with all the other 3 I used Palmer's coco butter. With the last 2 I used the paste not the lotion.

With baby #1 I gain 40lbs and got stretch marks literally the day before my due date, although she was a week late.

With baby #2 I only gained 18lbs and got no new marks.

With baby #3 I gained 23lbs and got no new marks. 

I have *always* weighted 154lbs since high school.  No matter how much I eat or exercise my body has always stayed at that weight no matter what.  Even returning easily after pregnancy.  Until I underwent hormone treatments for stress. After that I gained 10 pounds that stayed on and kept gaining another 10.  So I've stayed at 174lbs for a while.  I lost some here and there but it kept coming back. I'm also over 30 now and have noticed body changes with age. 

So I started this pregnancy at 170lbs heavier then ever before.  I have not gained any weight yet (that I know of) and I'm 18 weeks. I'm scared starting so heavy I may get more stretch marks this time so... 

To slather or not to slather? 

supermod.gif who isbelly.gifwith #4  has jumpers.gif . Believe in homeschool.gif,bfinfant.gif,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF,h20homebirth.gif,goorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hmm. I'm on #1, on track for about 40lbs by the end, and using almond oil on occasion, mostly when I notice tightness or itching in my skin during the day. I'm not very optimistic about the oil preventing marks, but it feels nice, and makes for a nice, relaxing ritual at the end of the day. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#3 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 08:34 AM

Hi Flmom,

I think the idea of an over the counter cream preventing stretch marks is something of a gimmick combined with old wive's tale. 

If something is going to get rid of stretch marks, I think it would most likely come from intensive exfolitation using a chemical peel or laser.  It's basically a scar and while it's partly from weight gain, it's partly from how fast the weight is gained and mostly hereditary.  

I don't think there is a safe way during pregnancy to prevent stretch marks. While I used a 14% glycolic acid mixed with vitmamin e lotion to keep my skin smooth and while I never got stretch marks, my mom never did either and used nothing.  This time around I am also using nothing.

FYI There is a lady I used to read that gives some very nice insights into scams of the cosmetics industry. Her website is cosmeticscop.com. She might be one of the more honest people in that industry I know of and i have saved thousand of dollars over the years avoiding wrinkle creams etc.

#4 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 AM

I birthed an almost 8 pound baby and an almost 11 pound baby and never got stretch marks. Got pretty big with the last baby too! For me at least, I think it must be genetic and maybe all the water I drank? Water helps with skin elasticity I think.

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#5 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 10:03 AM

I think it's a genetics thing... I tried EVERYTHING that was on the list and I thought I was home free... I made it to about 35 weeks, then I got 2 huge, dark purple ones which look like parentheses around my bellybutton --> (( * )) irked.gif

FLmomof1/1ontheway likes this.
#6 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Always drank tons of water with all them. Mine were 9.5lbs, 8.8lbs, and 7.14lbs hoping for a 7 pounder or under this time.

supermod.gif who isbelly.gifwith #4  has jumpers.gif . Believe in homeschool.gif,bfinfant.gif,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF,h20homebirth.gif,goorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif

#7 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I agree that it's a genetic thing that you can't prevent.  Some people are blessed to have skin that stretches and doesn't leave marks.  My skin scars easily so I fully expect to have stretch marks.  I got a lot just going through puberty.  I am at 29 weeks and I have 4 tiny ones starting.  That being said, I do use Palmer's Cocoa Butter lotion on my belly after I shower.  It just feels and smells nice.  Plus, my skin has been drier during pregnancy so I need the extra moisture.  I figure it can help with itchiness too.  Creams and vitamin E, etc. may help with fading the marks later, but I don't think they help prevent.  Considering how expensive some of them can be, it doesn't seem worth it to spend too much.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#8 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM

First prg so maybe i dont know what im talking about but my mom got severe stretch marks and 31 weeks i have none. Used coconut oil regurlarly and drink about a gal of water a day.
#9 of 12 Old 04-12-2013, 12:17 PM

I got lots of stretch marks with my first baby.  They showed up at about 36 weeks.  I gained about 65 lbs and didn't really moisturize much.  I'm at 38.5 weeks with baby #2 and so far no new stretch marks! Im praying they don't pop up in the next week or 2!  I've only gained 20 lbs this time and used coconut oil religiously all over my entire body to help with itching.  I think slow steady and not excessive weight gain makes a difference (for me anyway).

#10 of 12 Old 04-12-2013, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Well, I can definitely see why low, slow and steady weight gain would make the difference.

mamalola-- If you don't mind me asking, what was the big difference in your weight gain from? Did you change your behavior a lot, or do you think it was beyond you a bit? I ask because I've seen almost everyone gaining more with their firsts than with the subsequent, but often wondered if it was just from having a higher starting point. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#11 of 12 Old 04-12-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Yes almost all moms I know always gained more the first time around. Myself included. I really think the first time our bodies become pregnancy they undergo some type of physiological change.
Along with maybe not having a concern with gaining weight for the first time in your life. "Hey I'm eating for 2 right?" And not having a good understanding about nutrition at a younger age. I was 24 when I had my first and had a very unhealthy diet then. That was the first time in my life I really started learning about food. What was good for me and more importantly my baby.
But I really do believe our bodies undergo a major change that is permanent. Same goes with ageing.

#12 of 12 Old 04-13-2013, 11:36 AM

There is a cream called Trofolastin, made by Novartis, which a double blind study showed to be effective in preventing or halting the progression of stretchmarks. You can buy it on Amazon. It's not a natural product, however. I used it and didn't get any marks. Then again, my mom doesn't have any either. Amazon reviews are typically favorable.

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page