Typing Diets and Pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-10-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure if this should be in the "I'm pregnant" section or the "Nutrition" section so if mod wants to move this thread around then by all means feel free :)

So according to both the blood type diet and my limited knowledge of the metabolic typing diet I should be eating mostly fruits, veggies, with some dairy and carbs. Obviously protein is in there too but only about 20% of my overall intake is needed. I've been eating like this for years being mostly vegetarian with times transitioning to vegan as well. 

My question is: Are these systems good indications of my dietary needs during pregnancy? In the first trimester I craved meat for like a week, but ever since then I've been happy with my vegetarian diet and now entering the 3rd trimester I've been having aversions to fish and only randomly desire dairy rather than hiding it in things like smoothies or just with my cereal. 

I feel healthy but lately I've been lectured about my protein intake by several people and in "Spiritual Midwifery" Ina talks about the importance of protein too. 

Thoughts? I'm 6.5 months along and everything looks great during my anatomy scan ultrasound. 

#2 of 4 Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I think this is a great place for this thread.  smile.gif  20% protein sounds low, but I'm no expert.  The RDA for pregnancy is 60 grams per day.  Protein is very important for pregnancy, but animal products aren't the only way to get it.  Do you think people are lecturing you because you are a vegetarian?  Sometimes people think vegetarians don't eat enough protein, but you can get lots from greek yogurt, beans, quinoa, nuts, etc.  You could look up the amount of protein in different sources and it would give you an idea if you are getting enough each day.  I try to follow a diet that's good for me normally, but when I got pregnant I had to make adjustments because of aversions and nausea and such.  I think our bodies have a way of telling us what they need.  I just try to listen and do my best.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 4 Old 04-11-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Surprisingly all the people who have brought this up to me are vegetarians themselves! I think I am going to start trying to add more protein into my diet here since eclampsia is not something I would enjoy getting. 

I'm hoping that just adding two eggs a day and making sure I eat a handful of nuts a day would top me off. I don't really pay attention to my nutritional intake like I should =/ bad mama. 

#4 of 4 Old 04-11-2013, 02:55 PM

I don't know anything about blood type diets but as someone who follows a specific subset of a vegan diet I can say that I would suggest keeping a comprehensive food diary for a week or two at least to see what you are getting. A lot of people talk about protein as if it were a food group. It is actually a macronutrient that is present in all whole plant foods. There is really no need to eat any of the foods that people suggest as higher protein foods (beans, quinoa, nuts, seeds, legumes) if you don't want to. I normally eat a starch-based vegan diet (lots of fruit, veg, potatoes, and whole grains) and, so long as I eat enough calories, I get more than I need of all macro and micronutrients. If you are eating adequate calories from a vegetarian diet that consists mostly of whole foods and avoids empty calories (oil, sugar, alcohol), then I can't imagine your protein intake would be inadequate. JMO.

When you say 20% protein do you mean 20% of calories coming from protein? I'm not aware of any evidence that this much protein is necessary (provided you are eating enough calories, of course).

cat.gifJonesie's best girlread.gif 

pos.gif with our first, due in November. We can't wait to:femalesling.GIFsigncirc1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gifhomeschool.giffamilybed1.gif

***4***8***12***16***2ndtri.gif***24***28***32***36***40**

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page