Spring/Summer 2013 Pregnant Bajingos - Having #1 in our 30s - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
polyhymnia: keep in mind that with a special shape crib you can only buy the special shape sheets and they can charge whatever they want for those. Also things like the crib mattress protector sheet won't come in that size and you'll have to skip it or sew one yourself... I went with the $70 Ikea crib. I was looking at convertible ones but they're $400-600 and I figured with $70 now and $200 for a twin bed later we will still have spent less than that. Plus for convertibles you have to buy the rails, either now and store them, or later and hope they still make them for your model, etc.
Movement: I think around 13-14 weeks I started feeling very light flutters. Like someone's trying to tickle you from the inside by lightly dragging the tips of their fingers along your stomach. "Real" kicks not till 20 weeks or so. Now it's changed again since about 5-6 weeks ago and it feels more like elbows and knees being rolled around, very odd.

Now that I am a mom I no longer have time for knit.gif,teapot2.GIF,read.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 AM

Oh, that's a bummer! Maybe a relief later on though hey? smile.gif

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 AM

Thanks, dakipode!. I keep telling myself that too, about the sheets and things for the oval crib but I still love it, lol. We don't want a convertible crib either, we already have a twin bed for later use and we don't have room for a full size bed and also toys, desk, etc. I might be interested in one that has a removable side, I found one at toys r us for $180which does have that feature...
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17201216

That's so exciting that you felt the baby so early!

Old 07-30-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Oh, polyhymnia, go with a standard shaped crib. My sister got a circle crib and I have been making the sheet for it because she wanted specific colors she couldn't find.  I love my niece, but these circle sheets are for the birds.

On the crib front, I want each of my boys to have their own crib. I know that for awhile they would both fit in one, but DH feels strongly about it too and it makes sense to give each of them their own space.  Once they get bigger, it will likely be a bunk bed to give them space to play in their room so these "4 in 1" cribs that seem to be all the rage right now are useless because I won't be putting TWO DOUBLE beds in their little room. plus as I look at used beds, babies bite on the "footboard" part of the bed, not a pretty sight so would I really want a footboard with bite marks, probably not.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I dunno, Poly.  I just went to someone's house to day and they had that exact crib, and it was really cool!  If that's what your heart desires, then I say, go for it.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:05 PM

I feel the same way about having to get or make special sheets. And it is a crazy amount of money. I keep looking for one on Craigslist... But soon I think I will just give in and get a regular one. I like how it seems to take up less room.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 PM

Hi All, I'm back in Denver! Went to hang out with my mom today, what a treat! I'm so glad to be back, and to be back permanently, not just for a few weeks. Hooray! Now just to figure out what to do with all of the STUFF.

Question for you ladies: are any of you planning to cloth diaper? If so, diaper service, or wash your own? What models are you thinking of? I ran a daycare for six years in Boulder, so I have some experience with cloth. What I've never tried or had any experience with is cloth diapers with wool covers. I'm excited to try sewing my own wool covers from merino or cashmere thrift-store sweaters. I figure I'll get a couple covers that I like, and make patterns from them. After I finish two of my grad school papers, I'm rewarding myself by getting a serger sewing machine. I've never used a serger before, so I'm pretty excited about that, too.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:51 AM

Faith rainbow, welcome to a permanent home, what a relief!! I am planning to do a diaper service for the first one or two months, they provide whatever size prefolds I ask for. I am knitting wool covers and longies but will buy some PUL style covers also. I'm planning to do this trial from Jillian's drawers inthat time http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10/tryclothfor10 and then make a decision about bigger sizes. I'm hoping we like fitteds and covers and am going to try sewing some of those, too.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:13 PM

faith, yay for having a permanent home, let the nesting begin!
I'm planning on trying cloth diapering, washing them myself. After researching all the options I've decided to start with flats, they're the cheapest option and they wash and dry quickly. I may get some prefolds too depending on how many gift certificates I get at my shower. I may end up doing the Jillian's trial program as well, not sure yet. I basically just want to start as cheap as possible, we can always spend more money later. I've bought some PUL covers and I've knitted two wool covers so far, thinking that I want to wait and see how they fit before I make any more, they knit up pretty fast.

polyhymnia, one of the ladies in my DDC shared this link on how to sidecar your crib: http://sidecarcrib.m.webs.com/site/mobile?dm_path=%2Findex.htm&fw_sig_url=http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/&fw_sig_api_key=522b0eedffc137c934fc7268582d53a1&fw_sig_tier=0&fw_sig=0e4dc90f3e6586c9c66c29fc21b3d2c3&fw_sig_is_admin=0&fw_sig_time=1375459623555&fw_sig_permission_level=0&fw_sig_session_key=64a254389d8df4455538a71dd59b06d61c254f4f578d28ba372da3f3e3e2d26a-30096149&fw_sig_access_token=65fb88afbc1170a9c00e9b20ef59396b699337b6&fw_sig_permissions=none&fw_sig_social=1&fw_sig_site=30096149&fw_sig_premium=0&fb_sig_network=fw#0113
Maybe something to keep in mind if you're planning on sort of co-sleeping and using the special shaped crib.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM

Dakipode, what pattern did you use to knit covers? I am planning to knit some too but can't settle on a pattern. Also thinking about buying this fitted pattern to make some of those, but only if I can find nice fabric. I'd rather buy premade ones with fancy serging and snaps... In a moment of insanity i priced sergers and snap presses and tried to convince myself it was worth buying them, lol!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/75770974/instant-pdf-file-for-easy-fitted-cloth

Thanks for that link but I don't think we can sidecar greensad.gif there just isn't enough room in our bedroom. I think we are going to get this crib, DH finally told me this week that he prefers we not get the ikea one I had been eyeing, he likes how we can remove one side of this one: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17201216#goto-top-of-page

Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 PM

polyhymnia, so far I've only tried the curly purly pattern, people seemed to think it had a good amount of rise. It's fast too, I could probably whip one up in two days in a pinch. http://www.curlypurly.com/pdf/soaker.pdf I've printed out a few other patterns too for soakers and longies but I want to wait and see how this whole cloth diapering is going to work out for us before I commit to making more things.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

faith, glad to hear you are back in Denver permanently. I am sure that is a relief. I am hoping to cloth diaper my babies because I don't want to fill up the land fill with disposables. I use cloth feminine products (although right now given pregnancy incontinence I have been wearing disposables that I hate). I have a serger and love it!  If you buy one, definitely buy it from a dealer, not from Walmart or Amazon or the like. I bought a Janome Magnolia for about $250 on a Christmas special. They make doing sewing so much faster! There are still things that only a sewing machine can do but a serger is a nice touch to so many things.

dakipode, that side car crib is ingenious. It may be just the thing for the first couple of months with my twins. I don't know how to knit, but that curly purly diaper soaker pattern looks awesome.

AFM, just got home from a 3 day teacher's convention. It was fun to see old friends and share new ideas but I am glad to be back at home in my own bed!

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 PM

Thanks! I have made the curly purly pattern before but am not sure how it fits in practice. I have a longies/skirty pattern, and feel confident in that, but am not as sure about soakers. Planning to try this wrap too http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/whw-plain-wrap. And maybe this one http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ribby-wrap

Old 08-11-2013, 03:14 PM

Yay!  I'm happy that so many of you are cloth diapering, and especially that so many of you are trying wool!  Please keep us updated on how things go.  For those of you who are knitting wool covers, are you then washing them in hot water to felt them up?  I guess I'm just skeptical that a simple knitted cover could prevent leaks (but what do I know?).  I also want a cover that's snug enough to hold a prefold in place without having to snappi it.  I've ordered a loveybums organic wool cover, and bought some merino/cashmere sweaters at the thrift store--I can't wait till my papers are done and I get my serger!  

I've also decided to splurge and make myself a dupioni silk ring sling, inspired by Sakura Bloom: http://www.sakurabloom.com/essential-silk-collection/.  They're so gorgeous!  And get really good reviews.  I've priced it out and can get that much dupioni silk and a set of rings for about $85.  Hardly cheap, but we're getting so many other things used (pretty much all of our furniture, clothes and most of our gear), that I've decided a splurge is OK.  i haven't bought the fabric yet, but we'll see.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Those slings are beautiful. Hope you can make one for yourself for half the price!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:19 AM

That sling is lovely!!

I am not felting my knit soakers, it's too hard for me to judge the finished size that way. I am knitting them very densely with good, minimally processed yarns and will landline them thoroughly. I don't think wool is a great choice for long car trips or other times when there may be compression wicking but for just hanging out, etc a lot of my friends have used them so I hope I can make it work... smile.gif

Old 08-23-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Sorted through all the baby clothes I have been given so far. I have a bunch of those sleep sacks (all cuddly material :), plenty of 3-6, 6-9. and 18-24 clothes, a good start to 9-12 and 12-18 month clothes, and more blankets than I could ever imagine. My aunt had mixed in a few little girl's things before she knew I was having a boy. I have those in a bag separated from everything else. I need to get a couple more boxes to put the 12-18 month clothes in and all the sleep sacks/blankets. Oh and I have 2 snow suits too (3-6 months) which should get us through the first winter here in Michigan.

Had to laugh at my DH. My aunt gave me a food grinder . DH thought it was a hand breast pump. Yeah, we have a lot to learn together :)

Old 08-28-2013, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

What has everyone else been doing to prepare for their little ones births?

DH and I went and toured the birth place where I am planning to give birth last night. The triage part reminded me of an emergency room. I told DH that supported my wishes of staying home until I was in active labor because otherwise the tour guide said we could spend 2 to 4 hours in this little room with no windows. All the labor and delivery rooms have outdoor windows which is much better in my opinion. The tour guide told me and 2 other moms pregnant with twins that it wasn't the practice to have all twin births in the operating room. But I am definitely going to talk to my doctor about that too. There were nice deep bath tubs and showers and each room so I can stand in the water if I want to labor there which was good. She even said they recommend that a laboring woman sit on a toilet and rock to help get the baby in the right direction to exit the body vaginally. The hospital supports skin to skin contact with the baby after birth which was good to know, but if I am still actively laboring for the second baby that may be interesting.  Nurse said that colostrum tastes like amniotic fluid which I had never heard before. Makes sense though so it is familiar to the baby.

The mother/baby unit was nice with enough space in their large rooms for both babies to stay with us and they are never taken away from the parents unless the little boys are going to be circumcised. I am not sure how my DH feels about circumcision. I guess I need to have a conversation about that.  There is a "watching" nursery if parents ask to have some time to sleep without watching the baby. DH even gets a couch to sleep on. Doesn't look that comfy but at least it is something.

This whole "getting ready to birth" thing is getting more and more real.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:33 AM

Lilac- That sounds like a great hospital to birth in. Its awesome to hear that there are parts of our country that are so accommodating for vaginal twin births. I know how much you had wanted a home birth but it sounds like you found a really nice option for you.

AFM- I just turned 20 weeks this week and can't believe I've hit the halfway mark!  The preparations that are being done have been practical so far. Haven't bought anything yet. I finally sent out my registry info yesterday. It was pretty simple since we have limited space. I registered for cloth diapers at green mountain diapers and also a few small items at Target. We've cleaned out any extra clutter we had to make some extra room. There wasn't much but it feels good to get rid of excess anyway. I've started to hunt stuff down on Craigslist but don't want to buy to much 'cause I know my MIL is gonna go crazy. Probably most of the buying will be kinda last minute, lol. 

JustJenny and DH of 20 years 

After a 2 year fertility struggle  - Baby girl is here! Jan 8th 2014 

2 Boxer Furbabies Buddha and Tootsie 
Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

JustJenny, are you going to find out the gender of your little one or have you already? I totally get you on the "stuff front". People keep telling me this and this and this is "essential" and I look at my little house and say, "probably not for us".  I am going to register but I know people end up buying what they "think you need" anyway.  Just shakes my head. One of my sister's friends who also had twin boys took back $700 worth of clothing and bought her carseats and a crib that she really needed. She still had more than enough clothes!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:48 AM

Lilac- We aren't finding out the gender. In fact because we had so many early ultrasounds we are skipping the 20 week one. The little babe is strong and healthy in there- I think its gonna take after its dad as far as energy goes. Its a mover! I've been feeling it rolling around in there since 15 weeks! It kicked my bladder the other day- ouch. 

Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 PM

Justjenny, could you share what diapers you registered for? I need to do my GMD registry!

I picked up sample jars of paint the other day so I can test them out in the nursery and pick a wall color. We did pick the Skip Hop Nursery Treehouse friends stuff for some decor accents, isnt it the cutest? http://www.skiphop.com/product/completesheet_treetopfriends.html

We started our registry but haven't up a lot on there. We picked a carseat, crib and a few other things then we felt like it covered everything... Really trying to minimize as much "stuff" as possible.

I am still not feeling the baby move, at 18w4 d although sometimes I think maybe there is a little flutter. 20 week ultrasound is 9/9 and we are hoping to find out what it is!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

Good to hear that everything is humming along! Poly, I am having my anatomy scan on Sept 9th as well! I'll think of you while I'm there! I'll actually be 21 weeks along, but wanted to wait till DH got back from his trip (to Burning Man) so we could go together. Our agreement is that since he gets to go to Burning Man without me, I get to rearrange the house however I want, while he's gone. We both think we're getting the good end of that deal. We've both been to Burning Man many times, and I'm happy to give it up for a year or two. In the meantime, my parents have been coming over almost every day and they are like whirling dervishes, unpacking boxes, packing other boxes, moving boxes from the main floor into the basement...they are a complete godsend. Anyhow, DH and I intend to NOT learn the gender of the baby, if possible. I've heard that not knowing (or not telling) the gender can cut down on the number of cute outfits that people give you--wishful thinking on my part?

I'm working on a registry, too. This baby has LOTS of grandparents/aunts/uncles, and MIL especially has lots of money that she likes to spend on her loved ones, so I registered for a few pricey items that I'd never get on my own, but I think would be lovely (like an organic cotton crib mattress). And I also put all the little things, all the way down to Lansinoh lanolin cream for cracked nipples. No shame here--that baby's gotta eat!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 PM

Alright, I finally have time to catch up on this thread!

faith, sounds like you're busy, busy, busy with the house but I'm guessing it's fun to do because it's preparing for the baby.

lilac, the hospital sounds nice. Just make sure those rooms aren't just for show. I've heard some horror stories about one of the places here in town where they have lovely birth suites but the catch is they have to have the staff available for you to use one. So if they don't have anyone scheduled on your day you're out of luck, and from what I heard that's more common than not... We're not sure where we stand on circumcision either, I think ultimately I'll leave it to DH because it seems more likely that our son would ask his dad for advice about his penis.

jenny and polyhymnia wave.gif

re: registry: Most of my friends ended up buying something off the registry and then whatever else they felt like (onesies). I had a good mix of $5 - $150 items so there would be something for everyone. And, faith, my good friend who had a baby in November bought me the lanolin cream I had put on there! I also made it clear that I would welcome gift cards so that people wouldn't have to feel like they were stuck with the "weird" items like the breast pads etc.

re: diapers: I ordered a dozen flats from GMD and some other miscellaneous items. I had an Econobum trial pack on my registry that someone bought for me: one cover and three prefolds for $12, what a deal! I bought 6 new covers from a local lady for $6 a piece. I have made two wool covers (a small and a large) and am making another small one. I plan to make a couple of wool longies from felted sweaters too. And then I found this totally awesome link on how to use old T-shirts as diapers, no sewing required! http://sarawharding.hubpages.com/hub/The-No-Sew-T-shirt-Diaper# I am "stripping" some of our old shirts in preparation, I totally want to try this because it's cheap and handy!

re: (birth) preparations: I'm diligently listening to my Blissborn CD's every night. I've also bought some more meditation music. I've started drinking "pregnancy tea" which is RRL and some other stuff. I'm washing/prepping diapers. We finally got our new carpet so we're putting the house back together and purging some stuff at the same time. We set up the crib next to the bed. We met with the pediatrician. BUT, there is still so much more to be done, including installing the car seat and picking a name! In theory we have 2 more weeks, but it really could be any day now and we're not ready... I think DH wants to do some major organizing/cleaning over the long weekend.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

dakipode, that tshirt diaper is awesome!  I have a ton of tshirts that have lived their useful life that could be used that way. If they got too stained, no big deal, I could toss them! As for the hospital, the "trick" if you will is that you can't have a LDR room until you are in active labor say around 7 cm so while you wait you chill in an ER like room with no tub, no squat bar, no nothing to get labor going in the right direction.  Now I think I can convince DH that going later to hospital is better so we don't have to hang out in the windowless triage room with no labor inducing, progressing objects.

faithrainbow, sounds like the rearranging is going well.  Cool.

polyhymnia, I didn't feel my babies move until week 21 because I have anterior placentas which I learned at week 19 that basically muffle their small early movements.  Now i feel them all the time!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:14 AM

faithrainbow- That's so awesome you have people to do all that unpacking for you! What a way to make life easier. I bet they are so happy to have you back in the states winky.gif How cool that you and your dh go to burning man!  We've always wanted to go but never seem to make it. I bet you have met lots of interesting people.

poly- I made most of my stash with the workhorse fitteds. Its the main thing I am asking people money for (my target registry only has 11 items on it) and its what I really wanted to use. I like that they are all cotton and easy to launder. I just know I would be so pissed if the dipes started to stink. I don't want to deal with stripping issues with our hard desert water.  I asked for 36 each of the newborn, small and medium sizes without closure. I added a couple packages of prefolds too so I can try them out. DH isn't really into folding anything and I wanted something that held newborn poo really well. I figure I'll use the prefolds as burp cloths too. I chose an assortment of covers in newborn and smalls so I can see what I like using and what fits the babe. Mostly Bummis, Thirsties and another one I can't remember what the name of is. All of the ones with the exposed pul. I also added the kissaluvs diaper potion, a wet bag, a laundry tote- the zippered one they have on there- really cute! 4 packages of wipes, 2 packages of snappys and 10 small cotton inserts. I think I might add a couple wool things but not sure on that yet. I hate fussing or doing anything extra for little stuff like that. So I think I might be wasting money there. I might try to find some used ones on craigslist to see if I like them or don't mind the extra cleaning care. 

dakipode- What are the names you guys are tossing around? We had our names picked out years ago so that is one less thing for us to plan right now smile.gif

Old 08-29-2013, 10:33 PM

Dakipode, you sound totally set! Hooray!!

Faith, that is exciting we are scan buddies! It's my DH's birthday so we are both taking the whole day off work. Going to spend the day doing some house projects (oh, joy....) and then go to a nice dinner. I am seriously thinking about not telling anyone about the gender, but we want to know. I am so afraid of overly gendered stuff! We wanted to be sure to pick out the big stuff before we know too, because we didn't want to be swayed one way or another. We just today settled on a nursery wall color (citrus from behr) and a nursery bedding set/theme (skip hop treehouse friends). I fell in love with the skip hop set because they offer a cool sheet that has decoration on the sides and a plain top, so it looks like it has a bumper even though it doesn't have one, and they make coordinating nursery blankets and not just those puffy comforters that I would never use that come with most bedding sets. It also has coordinating wall decals. Isn't it cute? http://www.skiphop.com/product/completesheet_treetopfriends.html

Just Jenny, thanks! I was trying to decide between the workhorse fitteds and the kissas fitteds. I liked how th kissas seem less bulky, but the workhorse ones seem sturdier and that is a good point about odor!! We have a top loading but still HE washing machine and I don't think it's easy to soak or overfill with water, plus our dryer takes forever...

Old 08-31-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Went for our 24 week  ultrasound to check on the growth of our boys.  Everything is right on path for a 24 week old baby which was reassuring.  Baby A was 1 pound 8 ounces and Baby B was 1 pound 9 ounces so they are growing equally well which is good.

I talked to the doctor about the "laboring" in the OR and found out that although the tour guide said I wouldn't have to go the OR unless I was getting a C section, the doctor said that will go to the OR once I get to the pushing stage of labor. When I asked her about the last natural birth she had attended, she couldn't come up with an example. She said the last few times she has been on call there were lots of scheduled C-sections.  Yeah, that doesn't make me particularly comfortable since I would like to avoid a c-section if at all possible.  Right now both my boys are head down, which is good.

Talked with DH about circumcision and he says he doesn't have any strong feelings one way or another on it so that makes me hopefully that we can agree that no circumcision is necessary for our boys.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:29 PM

Lilac- I'm thinking your best bet is your original plan to labor at home for as long as you can. I'm glad you had that talk with your Dr. cause those are a lot of red flags. She hasn't even attended a singleton natural birth in recent memory? I'm sure its more difficult to find someone who's attended natural twin births as they tend to think high risk emergency.  Did you hire or think about hiring a doula? You've had a great pregnancy so far. I would just hate for you to feel like you were pushed into something I know you didn't want.  BTW- congrats on such healthy babies! 

Old 08-31-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

JustJenny, I am definitely hiring a doula. I am sending in my contract and fee on Tuesday. I still can't believe the doctor couldn't describe a natural singleton birth she hadattended lately.

Tags
Due Date Clubs , 2013 Due Date Clubs
User Tag List