Pregnant with horrible cough! Help me! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-14-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all! I'm 13 weeks and got a bad cold which has turned into the worst cough. I am taking some homeopathics but they don't seem to be working. I was wondering if you guys know of anything else I can do? It's awful and I can barely sleep at night. My sinuses as a whole are inflamed. No fever, thank goodness.

I specifically was wondering about grapefruit seed extract while pregnant. Is it okay? I have colloidal silver but I'm a little freaked out about taking it.

Any advice helps. Thanks!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#2 of 9 Old 04-14-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Nothing?

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 9 Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you tried a spoonful of honey and cinnamon for the cough? Try putting some boiling water in a bowl with a few drops of eucalyptus oil and breathing it in to clear your nose. Hope you get well soon.
#4 of 9 Old 04-14-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I have tried a little honey and lemon but the rub is that I have early onset gestational diabetes so I try not to do too much honey. But this is driving me bonkers so I may have to just say oh well and do the honey. I will try it with cinnamon! Thanks.

joy.gif

#5 of 9 Old 04-14-2013, 10:48 PM

I second pony's suggestion about putting eucalyptus oil in boiling water and breathing in the vapors. I would also do tea tree oil, breathing a few drops of that in boiling water always greatly helps my lungs when i have a bad cough.

Mama to I (3/11) and pregnant again (3/20/13) love.gif

The richness of life cannot be sold nor bought. --me
#6 of 9 Old 04-14-2013, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much. It's been ages since I had a cough like this and it is double awful being pregnant and hacking my lungs. I'm grumpy!!

joy.gif

#7 of 9 Old 04-15-2013, 03:14 PM

I am 9 1/2 wks and just getting over a horrible sinus infection that wants to be bronchitis now. I feel you. My neti pot was helpful, as was steam with eucalyptus. When I was so congested that the neti pot wasn't really useful, I was recommended something called the "sinugator" which is a positive pressure sinus wash gadget- it helped. A tbsp. Of honey with half a teaspoon of cinnamon was also recommended, which I did, but can't say if it helped or was a coincidence. When I got desperate, I called my midwife. I was told it was safe to take a Sudafed if I was THAT miserabe, and Mucinex DM was also safe. I broke down and took the Mucinex, which has let me sleep.

Sometimes the pharmaceutical is the lesser evil. 😖 Feel better!

SAH Princess, happily married to my adorable Nerf Herder

brokenheart.gif 2009 Expecting my rainbow1284.gif in November 2013

#8 of 9 Old 04-15-2013, 03:18 PM

Have you tried hot water with lemon? 

I had the worst cold of my life when I first got pregnant and I lived on top of a facial steamer (it was part of a cosmetic set thing, but who cares! smile.gif) and I drank enough hot water to take a bath in.  

Hope you're feeling better soon!

#9 of 9 Old 04-15-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. I am FINALLY feeling better today. Ugh! And being a mom I never really got the sympathy I wanted from those around me. I still had to be on the clock. I whined A LOT. Waaaa! Waaaa!!! wink1.gif

joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page