Ow my aching tooth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-25-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm about 9 weeks pg, and my tooth is killing me. It's kind of on and off...seems to hurt more after I eat certain dense breads.  I've been told I have decay in that tooth, so it's probably not a "gum" pain but an actual tooth pain. Any experience with this?  I'm trying to figure out if I can wait a few more weeks before getting it treated so I can be in the 2nd trimester.  Any btdt?  I've started rinsing with salt water, anything else I can be doing while I wait?

Also wanted to add that this tooth has a silver filling, and quite a big one ... so not sure if that adds to the concern if mercury is released while taking the existing filling out.

#2 of 6 Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

The filling would release some dust and particles into the air when it is drilled out.  Your dentist may be able to use a dental dam to less the amount of chemicals and such that end up in your mouth while they are working on your tooth.  I would call your dentist and ask them about it.  They often only want to work on you if it's really important, and pain is not good.  They may also want to make sure it is ok with your OB or midwife.  I hope it feels better soon.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 6 Old 04-26-2013, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dentist wanted to wait until the second trimester to fill mine, just to be safe! Obviously if you're having pain that would certainly be an emergency and I would give them a call! Good luck, I hope you find some relief soon!!
#4 of 6 Old 04-26-2013, 04:37 PM

If I were you I would go to a dentist for an exam and go from there. 

caffix.gif

#5 of 6 Old 04-26-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thanks everyone.  I have an appt with the dentist on Monday.  I have xrays from a couple of months ago, so hopefully I won't need new ones.  Weirdly, the tooth stopped bothering me.  I don't know if it's a combination of gum inflammation from pregnancy and a cavity, or what.  I just flossed really well, and it seemed to relieve the pressure ... and the next day it seemed almost ok, as long as I don't eat anything that starts packing in there.  I can feel something weird if I touch the tooth with my toothbrush, so definitely something is going on, but maybe I can wait until 15 weeks or so.  Just weird that the whole area was throbbing, and now it feels fine.

#6 of 6 Old 04-26-2013, 06:08 PM

Teeth are so complicated greensad.gif take care of yourself!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page