TCAP Vax - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-25-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, I've been putting off learning about vaccinations and delayed schedules because I didn't think I needed to quite yet.

However, there appears to be a break-out of whooping cough in the area, and since I spend a lot of time around kids and teachers, I am getting a lot of pressure suddenly to take this vaccine.

According to the health center website where I'd be getting it, I am in the window of recommended time in pregnancy to get it. They say it will pass on to the baby and make her immune too for a while, so I know it's safe by those standards.

My question is if this is one of the controversial vaccines out there, and if so, what evidence is there that it might be one to avoid?

Is anyone else in an area near a recent outbreak an being pressured to get this vax?

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#2 of 3 Old 04-25-2013, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I think all vaccines can be controversial depending on who you ask.  smile.gif  I had mine a while ago so it's not an issue for me.  But I do remember some conversation about the flu shot a few months ago.  There were 2 different versions. I think one had thimerosal and the other didn't.  But I just found this link and it says the pertussis vaccines don't contain thimerosal.  So that isn't an issue.  However, the page I just mentioned said it should be given after birth.  It doesn't mention during pregnancy.  That would be something to look into further.  Have you ever had a vaccine for whooping cough?  Have you been tested for immunity?  I know I had some blood tests early on that looked for immunity to diseases like rubella.  Perhaps you could have a test to see if you are already immune.  I think there have been outbreaks in our area, and I had DW get the vaccine so we would both be covered.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 3 Old 04-28-2013, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Good point, I wasn't sure if that was the case, or if certain vaccines had earned worse reputations than others. Seems like it's both. I will ask about testing, but I missed a lot of vaccines in early adulthood out of negligence, rather than morals, so if they needed to be updated at all, I'll need to do that again. 

thanks! 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page