5 weeks pregnant - so many mistakes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-27-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone. I am 5 weeks pregnant with my second child. My first child is five years old. When I was pregnant with her I was the picture of good health. I are organic, never took any medicine, ate healthy. My daughter is very healthy and I believe it's because of her good prenatal care and breastfeeding.

Now fast forward to the present. I still eat healthy but I have added pork back onto my diet ( I did not eat pork for many years). I am five weeks pregnant and I have had sausage, salami in fried rice, sausage queso, pizza with pepperoni and sausage and bacon since conception. So I am sitting her balling my eyes out because of the sodium nitrite effects. I was thinking as long as if was cooked it was okay. Of course I'm going to stop from now on, but I'm wondering if there is damage done to my unborn baby. I've read several articles the past few articles that state nitrates can cause cancer in the baby.

I was ttc and became discouraged after a while. I said that I was going to do my normal routine and if I got pregnant than I would I refocus. Kinda stupid I know, but ttc did get discouraging and i wondered if it would happen.

Also a complete sidenote: I was around horses today and got caught in kicked up dust from the horses. Should I be worrying about anything?
#2 of 7 Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, honey. Please stop beating yourself up! Your baby is not going to suffer any ill effects from the diet you have described so far. Okay, so it's not the most immaculate diet in the world, but if you really think about it it's probably waaaay better than many, many people who go on to have very healthy babies. Your baby is always going to get the nutrition from what you eat first and foremost, then you will get what's left over. Think about not just the awful diet of many Americans, but the total lack of nutrition and even just food in general in under developed countries, and yet people still reproduce. While I don't think it would be awesome if you ONLY ate junk food your whole pregnancy, I think you are quite mindful and that speaks volumes. Go get yourself some nitrite free pepperoni and go for it!

I wouldn't worry about the horses. Pregnant women have been around horses for a looooong time. No need to fret about that.

The best thing you can do for your baby is relax. <3 Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 7 Old 04-27-2013, 11:28 PM

You are fine. I thought this thread was going to be about drinking and smoking. All of did was make me hungry. Youre ok.
#4 of 7 Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 AM

If any of this had such a significant effect, the human race would be extinct by now!  Don't fret too much about the articles and studies you read online because if you let them, they'll drive you insane. A lot of them are exaggerated upon close inspection (like they do a study on rats fed some artificial diet and extrapolate the results to humans) or my biggest pet peeve, they confuse correlation with causation (because two things are correlated, does not mean one causes the other). 

Beside 5 weeks is really early. The baby is only just starting to get "food" from you. I think the first couple of weeks the embryo is feeding off the yolk sack. 

My dirty secret is with DD, I drank almost a whole bottle of wine (and I rarely drink) at around 4 weeks. Being pregnant was the furthest thing from my mind. I was so horrified and I secretly worried about it the whole pregnancy. She's perfectly healthy.

Just relax and enjoy this time smile.gif.

Mama to my little Lily luxlove.gif (09/2010), and a sweet baby boy joy.gif (12/2012)

#5 of 7 Old 04-29-2013, 01:45 AM

This article should put your mind at rest! http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon

You have nothing to worry about smile.gif

#6 of 7 Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 AM

nettlesoup - Thanks for the article! A major problem with the red meat, hot dog, etc. consumption studies is biased selection: these foods are considered unhealthy in our culture so in general people who eat them tend to also eat a more processed junk-laden diet, tend to smoke, not exercise and so on. It is extremely difficult to isolate the effect of only one food item so such studies really need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Mama to my little Lily luxlove.gif (09/2010), and a sweet baby boy joy.gif (12/2012)

#7 of 7 Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 AM

I agree with everyone else here. A little processed pork at the very start of pregnancy is not going to cause serious problems in your baby. I was a little concerned with this pregnancy, because the day before I found out I'd taken some anti-anxiety medication and had a can of hard cider at a party. But even that, just once and so early on, is not likely to be a big deal.

*HUGS* You'll be ok! smile.gif

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page