Mothering Forum banner

Moms of 2 or more-Did you go into labor the same way each time?

Tags
birth
4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  SagBaby2013 
#1 ·
Hey Mama's! Just curious.. Each time you've gone into labor (without induction), was it around the same time of day? Was your early labor signs the same each time? How you knew you were in labor. Like water breaking, regular contractions all of a sudden, bloody show.. Etc.

I know every pregnancy is different, but I'm wondering if I should expect the same thing with my second? Or expect something different!

It's kind of a silly question but I really am curious!

#2 ·
I didn't go into labor at the same time of day each time. Twice it was in the evening, once it was in the middle of church, and once I woke up in labor (around 8am). The last time... I really don't remember.

Most times, contractions slowly built up and got closer together until I felt sure I was in labor. The third time, though, I woke up to my water breaking and was in transition almost immediately. That labor was only 45 minutes, but hurt like hell!

#3 ·
Pretty much, always evening, always short, close together contractions to start off. Waters stayed intact until active labor many hours later in my first and until the start of pushing in 2 and 3. Number 3 was a strange one though, the entire time the contractions were 3 min apart, strong, but pretty short, and that was my quickest labor.

#4 ·
1. Middle of the night woke up in labor
2. Started in the morning after I'd been up for a couple hours
3. Same as 1
4. Thought it was false in the middle of the night and went back to sleep until morning. Woke up having contractions in the morning.
5. Was just falling asleep when my water broke.

#5 ·
It was a different time of day each time, but both began with bloody show. Though they were born at completely different times of day, I had been doing birth visualizations my entire pregnancy with both of them and both were born the exact time of day I had visualized.

#6 ·
I've only had one medical induction, with my last, but with all but the first we did different natural stuff plus arom once, so...

Somewhat similar, I generally start labor in mid to late afternoon and labor slow for awhile, hit my plateuau, rest a bit, and then go full force and fast into it.

With my first I was in labor for 36 hours but it didn't get intense until about 6 hours before birth. The others have been shorter but similar pattern.

My water has never broke own its own before labor. The last couple of times it broke with crowning.

#7 ·
My children were both born at 10:45 PM. The labors were totally different, however. I remember very distinct contractions with my first. They started 5 mins erc. With my 2nd I couldn't tell if I was in labor. The contractions were uncomfortable, but not painful. I was really calm and was able to talk to people normally until I pushed her out.

#8 ·
My labors with my boys were very similar while also being very different. With both of them I went into labor at 3am in the morning the day after their due date. No early labor signs, no water breaking, just being awakened by regular contractions. With DS1 I labored all day (eventually going to the hospital), and ended up having him vaginally around 9pm. With DS2 all was going well until about 9am when labor completely stopped (or perhaps it was still going on, but I couldn't feel anything?). It started back up around 5pm, went to the hospital, and he was born via c-section (due to fetal heart decelerations and low blood pressure in me) around 10pm. If that pattern continues I will be going into labor at 3am on 8/24 and having baby somewhere between 8-11pm. LOL!!

#9 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the input ladies! Looks like labor started mostly the same way, just not at the same time of day for some of you. Although a lot of you did have it start at the same time of day! How interesting!

I kind of had a feeling that our bodies would know what to do the second or subsequent times and it would be similar to the first.

Did all of you go into labor at or around the same gestational age with your subsequent pregnancies?

My first labor started right at 38 weeks with bloody show at 630am. Hoping to have the same signs this time! Not to mention wishing for another 38 week or around there birth
smile.gif

#10 ·
#13 ·
My water broke in the early AM, prior to onset of labor, with all three. The length of time between water breaking and onset of active labor varied from 2 hours (with my 3rd) to 12 hours (with my 2nd - I had some emotional hangups with that one that I think delayed it, because active labor started immediately after they were addressed). The length of active labor was within about two hours of eachother with all three, and progressed similarly.

My length of gestation varied by a week and a half, but all three were born within an ounce of eachother in size.

#14 ·
I have long, sometimes erratic cycles so lmp dating doesn't really work for me, but based on that my first five were 40+5, 42+, 44, 41+, and 44+. No signs of postdates and the 2nd 44 weeker appeared about 39 weeks at birth. #6 was 41 on the dot based on early ultrasound but we had a necessary pit induction with her.

#16 ·
1. Water Broke, no ctx for 6 hours, 10 hour labor once ctx started. (37 weeks)

2. Prodromal labor for two weeks, then a quick 4 hour labor. (39 weeks)

3. Water Broke, ctx 20 minutes later, quick 3.5 hour labor. (35 weeks)

#17 ·
For me, same time of day and similar progression (water broke, no contractions, went to the hospital for some monitoring and stayed overnight, then I was induced the following day). Later labour was quite different but both ended up in C/S for different reasons. In fact, it was even the same day of the week with the same doctors on call! I did end up with one boy and one girl though...

#18 ·
1st--contractions started around 5pm, baby born at 1:42am, active labor started around 11pm, didnt tear
2nd--contractions started at 9pm, baby born at 2:18am, lots of prodromal labor, didnt tear

I forgot to mention that i had a good amount of bloody show right before active labor started for #1 and i had a small amount of bloody show before active labor for #2. I wasnt aware of my water breaking for #1 but it must have because he wasnt born in the caul, #2 my water broke in the middle of active labor. I didnt see mucus plug either time. #1 was 40w+3 and #2 was 41w.

#19 ·
Thanks so much to everyone for sharing! It's so interesting to see everyone's experiences
smile.gif

I'm hoping soon I can add to this! Lol.

#21 ·
All pretty much the same. Even dc #3 who was induced started the same

Lower back ache, mild cramping for a few days,lots of discharge. Then out of nowhere and hour(ish) of bad contractions and I'm holding a baby. Hence dd #3 being in hospital. She was a high risk baby and since I go from cramps rating maybe a 3 to a 9 in a matter of minutes I don't get the choice of making it to the hospital.

Now I'm very preterm with baby #4 showing all the same signs...sigh

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

All pretty much the same. Even dc #3 who was induced started the same

Lower back ache, mild cramping for a few days,lots of discharge. Then out of nowhere and hour(ish) of bad contractions and I'm holding a baby. Hence dd #3 being in hospital. She was a high risk baby and since I go from cramps rating maybe a 3 to a 9 in a matter of minutes I don't get the choice of making it to the hospital.

Now I'm very preterm with baby #4 showing all the same signs...sigh
Oh I hope everything turns out okay..
greensad.gif

#23 ·
Both my labours started at dawn and my boys were born at dinner time just before or just after 5pm. Almost identical labours really, only difference was ds1 was born at 40+3 and ds2 at 39+3. Pregnant now with our third miracle and also wondering how it will pan out.

#24 ·
Wanted to update, my labour started with bloody show, early morning with my first at 38 weeks. Had no idea I was having contractions until I was hooked up to the NST machine.

And 1 month ago today at 38w6d, I had my second. Started early morning again, no bloody show, just contractions started up and were way different than Braxton hicks.

So started same time around the same gestation, but different early labor signs!

#25 ·
All three of mine were similar, but not identical. My water broke with each (although middle one was more of a leak than a full puddle, like the first and third). First and third were actually very similar now that I think of it - middle of night and water breaking. Third moved much faster though - went straight to hard, hard labour. First was barely noticeable but rushed to hospital due to frank breech and planned section.

Middle child was morning, slow leak, slow progression throughout day.

First and second were at approx 38 weeks, third waited until day before due date to show :) I was so mad at him, lol, I felt like he was late just because he wasn't as early as his big brothers!

#26 ·
3 babies - all very different each time.

Gender, timing, labor, length of labor, water breaking vs. not, amount of pushing, all of it!

The only thing that has been "the same" -- has been babies going up a pound each time -- 7, 8, then 9lbs.

Currently pg with my 4th - praying that trend does NOT continue! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.