Staying On Top Of Prenatal Vitamins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello There,

I just started taking prenatal vitamins and am having a really hard time keeping track of everything. I have never taken a lot of pills before so trying to stay on top of what to take and when is getting overwhelming. I keep missing doses. Does anyone have any advice or tips on best ways to manage prenatal vitamins? There is always the pillbox option but I'm just wondering if there are any other tools or tricks that have worked for other expectant moms.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

For me, just keeping them in a place where I will see them at the time I want to take them has been key. I was accustomed to taking BCP right before bed each night so kept them in my nightstand. That worked for the prenatals (I take a multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin C, and Vitamin D) for a couple months, but when I got heartburn and started throwing up after taking fish oil I had to switch to taking them right after dinner on a full stomach so they would digest better.

Here are some tricks I've used:

- I keep a small bottle (originally held ~50 Benadryl) and put all my pills in it, usually about 6-7 of each. I refill it as needed. This way all the vitamins are in one place and I just have to shake out enough to get one of each pill instead of open 4 big bottles every time I take them. It's also handy for travel. Alternately you could get a sub-divided reminder pill holder with days of the week on it (my mom has a chronic medical condition and uses a 7x4 pill keeper to manage all of hers and take them at the right time)

- I keep this bottle on our coffee table where I will see it after dinner, rather than in my nightstand. If you have small children this may not be the best but it works for us now.

- set a reminder for yourself, either formally (like an alarm on your phone, there are even apps to remind you to take pills) or informally (develop a habit of taking them after brushing your teeth, before doing the dishes, during the theme song for a show you watch, etc).

Good luck, and don't stress if you miss some days here and there. As long as you are eating healthy the vitamins are mostly there as a safety net rather than primary source of nutrition!

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
#3 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I use a 7-day divider and when I get ready for work, I dump the vitamins for that day into a small container to take with me.  I put it on my desk to remind me to take something after lunch.  I take a one per day prenatal so it's less to think about.  It's a bigger pill.  It was tough to swallow the first trimester, but now it's easier.  Would you be able to switch to a prenatal that is fewer pills per day?  You could also set a reminder on your phone or computer to remind you.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#4 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both so much for the great advice. I am definitely going to talk to my doctor about consolidating the number of pills I'm taking. Fewer would be better :-) Your suggestion about setting reminders on my phone is exactly what I need to do. I looked today to see if I could find some kind of app that might work. I came across an "electronic pill box" for iphone that let's me enter in my vitamins and then sends me alerts when I need to take them. I'm hoping this app will be a good solution for me - it's called Mango Health but I don't think it is specifically for pregnancy. Thank you again for the great suggestions. What a great community this is!

#5 of 11 Old 05-02-2013, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What all are you taking?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#6 of 11 Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I'm so glad we could help1

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#7 of 11 Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I agree with pill box ideas, even if you set reminders and lessen your # of pills.

I have a $2 7-day organizer that I refill every Sunday. I like it more than an alarm because if I am not immediately able to take them when an alarm sounds, I can clearly see when I miss a day, unlike in a big bottle. Also, my husband helps out because if he sees there's still pills there when he is brushing his teeth at night, he will remind me then.

My multi/prenatal is 2 capsules a day, and then I take a single capsule of an omega/DHA blend. I don't take separate, bulkier iron or calcium supplements because I think I eat enough of those things.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#8 of 11 Old 05-06-2013, 11:13 PM

I take my vitamins at lunch every day. Its become an ingrained habit to take them at that time that i dont even have to think about it anymore, i just do it. I'm sure that if i changed when i took them then i'd probably forget. Consistency is key. It also helps that i can take them all at the same time. If i were taking some here and some there i would probably forget.
#9 of 11 Old 05-22-2013, 08:52 AM

I don't take pills (I used to forget to take them too!). Now I take a flavorless powder prenatal that I can mix into almost any beverage. I usually put it in smoothies I make, or OJ in the morning. It's called Premama Prenatal Vitamin Mix [Moderator note-Promotional link removed.] and it is only $25 a month! It's so easy to take and I have it out on my counter to remind myself to mix it in my drinks. It also has ginger root in it that helped with nausea. I hope this helps!!

#10 of 11 Old 05-22-2013, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is there a meal you always have at home? If so, when you prepare your meal you can put the pills out as well with your meal. That's what I do. I have to take lots of pills. :-)

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#11 of 11 Old 05-22-2013, 02:06 PM

I  have a bedtime pregnancy routine these days. I put bio oil on my bump while DH fills my water bottle. When he gets back with h2o, immediately take my vitamin (it's a once daily, which I highly recommend). I keep the vitamin bottle adjacent to the bio oil bottle so that if DH hasn't returned with my water by the time I'm done, I can just put the pill in my hand and wait for him. The vitamin makes me a little nauseous (had to go through a few brands before landing on only 'a little' nausea) so taking it at bedtime has proven to be very very useful.

-MQ

SAH Princess, happily married to my adorable Nerf Herder

brokenheart.gif 2009 Expecting my rainbow1284.gif in November 2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page