What do you worry about most when choosing a name? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOVE Cyrus, but DH vetoed it (something about the movie ConAir???). But he's all about Fox, because our last name is close to Mulder. I will never understand his standards!
#32 of 41 Old 05-07-2013, 07:18 AM

Luckily DW and I have the same taste when picking names so very early on (before we were preggo), we had 2 boy names and 2 girl names selected. We aren't sharing or using them until birth. We have our preferred names for the first born of either sex, but we're leaving open the possibility of changing that when we first meet him/her.

The first thing that was very important to us was a name that had some formalilty in full form (passes the diploma test), but also has at least one casual nickname option.

We like using some family names but we also want to be careful about that so our child doesn't feel as though they are "supposed" to feel some connection to this person that they may or may not actually feel. So, we've sprinkled in a couple sentimental family names among the first and middle name choices that we've made, but there are also a few in there that we just like that have no connection to our families yet.

DW and I were both raised in families with Irish ancestry but in general we feel more American than anything else. We both have very Irish sounding last names but it would not feel authentic to us to use Gaelic first or middle names. I don't want our children to feel boxed into a culture that isn't really going to be present in their daily lives.

The meaning behind a name (or what the books say is the meaning), has never really meant that much to me. In fact, for myself at least, the idea of my name having a "meaning" kind of bugs me. I want my kids to feel free to define themselves, and not rely on these arbitrary meanings that someone else has decided to put on their name. I have always interpretted the "meaning" of names kind of like how I interpret astrology. If it speaks to you and feels like a helpful way to describe yourself, well then great, but if it doesn't then it's just sort of there, you had no choice over it, and you can pay as much or as little attention to it as you want.

What we came up with in the end were four very classic western sounding names that aren't very popular for newborns right now but are also common enough that I'm sure no one will struggle anymore than normal with pronunciation or spelling. I feel like you really can't sweat the spelling thing that much because even the simplest names have struggles there (Sara/h, Ann/e, John vs Jon, etc). A couple of our name choices have Christian or Jewish roots which is fine by us, no real preference there. In those cases we have chosen modern day spellings and not the original since again, those cultures are great but just not strongly present in our daily lives.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#33 of 41 Old 05-07-2013, 09:43 AM

Sphinxy, I completely agree about the meaning behind names. I look at it as a conversation starter/curiosity/interesting tidbit and nothing else. For instance, my 2 year old's name, Kassandra supposedly means "she who entangles men". Well beyond a playground mishap involving a jump rope, I'm not exactly seeing this sort of thing in her future wink1.gif
#34 of 41 Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 AM

I think it's cool to find out the meaning or origin of the name if it's actually the meaning of the name. If it's just some artificial meaning assigned to a made up name, it's kind of annoying.

#35 of 41 Old 05-07-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

I think it's cool to find out the meaning or origin of the name if it's actually the meaning of the name. If it's just some artificial meaning assigned to a made up name, it's kind of annoying.

I can understand wanting a bit more history behind a name, but you know, they were all made up at some point!

Well except for names like Taylor (baby will be a tailor!) and Apple (baby will be an apple?) which are more straightforward.

For example, Cynthia took on the meaning of moon goddess because Mount Cynthus it is the mythological birthplace of Artemis. That's old and interesting, but definitely completely made up!

I could see today's new made up names taking on very colorful histories over the millennia! Like... Willow: child of the nature-loving. smile.gif

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#36 of 41 Old 05-10-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Ana View Post

Is that  Skyrim reference!?

Oh yes :)

Some parents won a contest by naming their son that. I like the game and all but oh man...

Mom to 4 cat.gif, 1 dog2.gif, a 5g betta tank , 3 fiddler crabs, and a 156g stock tank pond with goldfish and lilypads!
IUI#4 success! Welcome Guy V 11/14/12

#37 of 41 Old 05-10-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Some names come from words or phrases in other languages, so the "meaning" is more of a translation than anything. For instance, two of my children have Hebrew names with the syllable "El," which is one word for God. One translates or means, "God is my strength," and one is, "My God has answered." Those mean more to me than the completely invented meanings. smile.gif

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#38 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

I can understand wanting a bit more history behind a name, but you know, they were all made up at some point!

But they were made up based on something. They are derived from a word or a place in whatever language they come from. Not a collection of syllables that someone thinks sounds nice. 

That said, I don't put a lot of stock in name meanings, but I also don't like made-up names.

And while I get the "easy names" business being unfair against people of different ethnicities, we are both basically Anglo-European mutts except DH is 100% German on his dad's side, but that culture isn't really a big influence in our lives. I am all for people using names drawn from their own backgrounds, but I feel it would be kind of culturally inappropriate for us to use a name that matches an racial or ethnic or religious group that isn't ours and isn't in common use in our language. It's one thing to name your son (say) Mohammed when you are a Muslim or you come from a Muslim background, but it seems a little offensive to me for an Anglo-American Christian to use the name just because they like the sound of it. 

Blanca78 likes this.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#39 of 41 Old 06-11-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA77 View Post

LOVE Cyrus, but DH vetoed it (something about the movie ConAir???). But he's all about Fox, because our last name is close to Mulder. I will never understand his standards!
Cyrus is a wonderful Parsi/Persian name. There are Cyrus' in my partner's fsmily. but yes, ConAir kind of ruins it a bit with the whole Cyrus, the virus.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

#40 of 41 Old 06-12-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhada View Post

Cyrus is a wonderful Parsi/Persian name. There are Cyrus' in my partner's fsmily. but yes, ConAir kind of ruins it a bit with the whole Cyrus, the virus.

Absolutely!  I found out a couple of weeks ago that we're having a girl, so I'm a bit sad we don't get to use the name.  :(  Still, it's looking like we will probably be going with Norah Parvin, so at least the little girl's middle name will be Persian.  :)

Moni - 31 years old, married for 4 years, and new momma to Norah, born October 16th, 2013! smile.gif
#41 of 41 Old 06-12-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydaycraft View Post

Absolutely!  I found out a couple of weeks ago that we're having a girl, so I'm a bit sad we don't get to use the name.  greensad.gif  Still, it's looking like we will probably be going with Norah Parvin, so at least the little girl's middle name will be Persian.  smile.gif
That's beautiful!

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

Tags
Baby Names

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page