Fundal measurements 4 cm behind-any BTDT? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 36w1d and at my appt this past Monday I was off by approx 4cm with my fundal measurement. I'm trying not to worry, but I cannot shake my anxiety. So I like to hear some positive outcomes with the same thing.

At 32w5d I was measuring 30.5 cm. My Midwife said baby was low, so there was no worries there.
Then at 34w5d I measured 35cm (measured by a different person, was a midwife student.. Which I'm thinking was wrong now) she didn't tell me if baby was low, but told me second babies don't usually drop.
Then at 35w5d I measured 32 cm measured again by a different MW. (So 3 different people at last 3 appts)

The last MW I saw said that we would watch the growth and if they are concerned at the next appt, they would consider a growth ultrasound. My next appt is May 8. Ill be 37 weeks. Seems forever away.

I gave birth with my son at 38 weeks so I'm hoping I don't have long anyways, but I would hate to have low amniotic fluid or something and there be harm done to the baby.

Anyone BTDT?? And can relieve some worries? Thanks smile.gif

Mama to 1 handsome boy born Nov 29/2009 and 1 beautiful girl born May 21/2013 and wife to 1 handsome man, married since Jun 9/2007.

#2 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 AM

Maybe you dropped, I was told only first time moms dropped. I have dropped in all of mine. Also depending on your bladder, and where the mw measures from as the uterus is not a square for goodness sake so where really is the top of a big fleshy balloon nestled in bloat, fat and intestines? Maybe it was the middle number that was overinflated like you said. All of that being said it might be nothing it might be something. Ask for a us if you are worried and go with your gut.

8 might be enough
#3 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Shiloh. I think this baby is a lot lower than my first ever was. So I'm hoping that's what's doing it. I don't have that "bowling ball" feeling, but at some times of the day I find I can feel the baby really low. And it causes a bit of a waddle. Either that she's low or maybe she is a small baby. I will ask for an ultrasound if I feel concerned with the measurement at my next appt.

Anyone else have this happen and everything turned out fine anyway?

Mama to 1 handsome boy born Nov 29/2009 and 1 beautiful girl born May 21/2013 and wife to 1 handsome man, married since Jun 9/2007.

#4 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 PM

I'm in the opposite camp but wanted to share to hopefully ease your mind a little. At my last MW appt, I measured waaaay ahead. I was 27 ish weeks, measuring 34! I just had my US today to check things out and everything looks great. Fluid levels are fine, baby is measuring as expected but a bit bigger than average (so did DD and she was under 8lb at birth) and everything is well within the normal range. I just wanted to post this to show that measuring different than expected doesn't necessary mean a problem. I think waiting for the next measurement is a good plan and you can always have an US later if things are worrisome. Hopefully it's simply you carrying differently this time.
#5 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for sharing your experience skycheattraffic! It does make me feel better! I've slowly been letting go of the anxiety. Can't help the baby to be stressed! I really hope I am just carrying this baby differently too!

#6 of 6 Old 05-08-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Wanted to update that I had my appt today and saw the more experienced Midwife. So glad that it was her! She measured me today at 35cm and baby was anterior (bum sticking out) she also said that baby was posterior at that last appt by looking at the other MW's notes. And said that could have affected the measurement more than likely. She also said baby is really low. Which I agree, cuz I can feel the baby low. Just by palpating baby's bum, she feels like its not a super small baby either, feels like an average size bum to her. I'm so relieved!
Now to wait for baby to come! I'm officially full term today at 37 weeks! Can't wait to meet this baby smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page