TMI alert: pinworms during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-05-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I did a search and didn't find any good answers, but... I am 9 weeks pregnant, and I believe that I might have pinworms. I have been having some itching down there and also a crawling sensation. I told myself that it was just hemorrhoids, but this morning, I saw what appeared to be a pinworm in the toilet. It was about an inch long and white. I'm definitely going to talk to my doctor about this, although I'm pretty sure he's just going to think I'm nuts. 

But I was hoping to see if anyone else has experienced this. I'm so concerned about whether this could harm my baby, and I also want to find out if/how I can safely get rid of them during pregnancy. I usually like to do things the natural way, and I would rather not take medications for this if there's an effective natural solution. Please help! I'm so worried.

#2 of 3 Old 05-05-2013, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That sounds very unpleasant greensad.gif. I would be worried too. Heres a link that helps with understanding pinworms:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/175134.php

Heres a good article on pinworms and natural remedies:
http://avivaromm.com/pinworms-a-real-pain-in-the-a

Heres an awesome link on it:
http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1321687/does-anyone-know-of-a-pregnant-friendly-pinworm-remedy-my-whole-family-has-to-be-treated
#3 of 3 Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

While I'm sure it is horribly uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry too much.  I had intestinal amoebas at around 8 weeks and the doctor told me we would just have to live together until they died out.  I was very worried about them causing nutrient deficiencies at a time when nutrition is so important for my baby's development, but the doctor said if I was eating a nutritious diet and taking prenatal vitamins I was sure to be getting plenty of nutrients and the amoebas don't take that much away.  And from my understanding, pinworms are lower in the intestines than amoebas and don't affect nutrient absorption as much.  But I'm sure they are insanely irritating, so I would encourage you to try the natural remedies in the links in PrimordialMind's comment.  I took high dose probiotics and drank carrot and pineapple smoothies and my amoebas went away in about a month.  You might try going to a travel clinic as doctors there may be more knowledgeable about intestinal parasites.

Excited, anxious and proud to be pregnant for the first time! My partner and I can't wait to meet the little boy sometime around Sept 20th.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page