Do you regret or love the popular baby name (top 5 SSA list) you chose? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 94 Old 09-28-2013, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieP View Post

Although I'm not a fan of 'trendy' names, I have to say, I really do love the name Bella, and I also love the name Sophie.  I'm not ruling them out with this one.  My fave. so far is Lucy for a girl.

I think there's also a difference in terms of "trendy" between names like Bella or Sophie, versus, say, Ryleigh or Madison. The former are names that have been around for a long time that are experiencing a spike in popularity over baseline; the latter are pretty much unique to this generation. There's a different feel to them. Also I would expect a name that has been around for centuries to continue to be around at some popularity, whereas the jury's still out on some of these newer names. I mean, 100 years from now will anybody still be naming their kids Madison or will it be completely unheard of? Who knows? There are definitely a few names in my family genealogy that you'd never, ever see on anyone nowadays, but there are also names out there that were more or less invented by a single individual at some point that are now in common use (Jessica, for instance, was invented by Shakespeare). 

#92 of 94 Old 09-29-2013, 06:27 AM

1. I agree with previous posters - it is not fair for your husband to have the only say on the name and it appear to be so. At least he should enjoy picking the first child and give you the freedom of choice for the second one.

2. Bring things to some perspective for you - Isabella is the 3rd on the list of national most popular names - http://www.ourbabynamer.com/2013-popular-names.html

That makes the name quite popular but considering that it means that there are 19000 girls of this name named last year.. that gives you average of 380 Isabellas born in 2012 per state.. Considering that they all will go to schools somwere.. each state has on average 200 public schools and scores of private schools and that would mean at worse one Isabela per class level per school. Considering that each school has few kindergarten classes.. that brings chances of having so many Isabellas in the class even more down. Lastly school makes an effort not to put the kids with the same name in the same class for their comfort and school's practicality to avoid mistakes.

3. Per comparison when my dc was born, I did not think of implications of the name popularity and I just happened to love the very popular name which was 2nd on the national list at the time. It was just few years ago. Now at school there are literarly 2 girls of this name on her grade level in all classes. TWO. Not to say that there are no girls of this name in other levels but it will be pretty much the same ratio.

4. Names popularity changes fast. It is popular today it won't be popular next year. I promise :) Just wait for an actor or actress or other celebrity naming a kiddo and watch the trends changing.

5. I see lots of benefits of having a popular name and I can't speak of having a child named unique name as I don't have that experience but here is what I feel about us:

- everyone knows how to spell the name.

- people like the name a lot and say so

- child is very happy to hear so many kind comments "Oh, what a beautiful name, I love your name" and although many would comment on any kid's name and it is true for myself :) my dc just get tons of more comments.

- people have instant association with the name. that helps with instant positive reaction. It is not because of your child but because they know someone famous and they like that person and you get extra points on that first impression charts :)

- life is so much easier for people with popular and nice names, everyone remembers your name instantly and will call your child by that.

Example - it is enough to introduce your child by Isabella usually only once for people to remember, whereas it takes many times for them

to remember Sarifaihata for instance.

- in many cultures there is a believe that a name makes a person and when you come to think of it all Barbaras you know and all Susans and all Stevens and Kevins tend to be somehow .. similar and there is something that the name brings to them that is  in common?

congrats on your baby and happy naming.

#93 of 94 Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM

Hi like the name Isabella a lot. I came across it in movies and books, it has its own glory. Its popular because of that. But I have in mind the name Rennie. Its a bit uncommon but I like it.
#94 of 94 Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Isabelle was a popular name in the sixties in France ... one year, there were 7 of us -out of 35 i think- in grade school, i mean in the same class ....
nowadays, hardly anybody french will call their daughter Isabelle (those names that were SO trendy tend to become less popular after a few years)
i only know french women about my age (50 something) called Isabelle

.... on the other hand at least 4 english speaking expats - local to me- have a less than 10 years old "Isabelle" amongst their children ...

Tags
Baby Names

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page