Do you regret or love the popular baby name (top 5 SSA list) you chose? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 92 Old 05-08-2013, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am the child of a very unique name and all my (3) sibs are unpopular names as well with the same theme. My parents didn't have the internet, though managed to come up with some pretty good names. 

My DH made the baby naming process particularly difficult for me while pregnant with my daughter in 2009. He vetoed every name I came up with and is doing it again this pregnancy.

I kept the secret that I really liked Isabella, I knew it was going to be very popular. I was in love with this name for several reasons. Most having to do with a silly trilogy of young adult novels. I thought it was a lovely name for a LONG time, I've always loved Isabella Rosellini. My married name is Spanish, it made sense. I finally told DH how much I loved this name and to not make fun of me, and guess what? The guy turns around and says: "I like that, lets go with that.". disappointed.gif

Now I'm miffed a little about it because it's so popular. I already see and hear the name everywhere I go and feel like I made a mistake and should have thought it out. I even catch myself saying it in front of DD and that's just NOT ok. What's it going to be like when she's in school as the 5th Isabella? I did mange to give DD a very uniquely spelled middle name that would go with her first, (Bella Jean), but is this enough and will she even like it? Yes, she can go by Izzy, Ella, Bella, Bell etc. etc. and that will help, another reason why I loved the name.

DH is at it again and we are fighting about names. He says ONE name he likes and that's it. He wont even make a list. The name (Samantha) is another LOVELY name I really like. It's in the top 10 and climbing. I'm worried about the regrets with this one too. 

What do ya'll think? I'm becoming a bit of a name nerd and in life, a name is a very important thing to me, so I'm going (a bit) crazy!

HappyHappyMommy and lark7usa like this.

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#2 of 92 Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 AM

I also always liked the name Isabella because of Isabella Rosellini and actually considered it. I've never read or watch the triology but yes, the name has become über popular even here.

I'm thinking like because I really want to use the name Mia if it is a girl but it seems to be on the top 5 list here in Germany.. so I'll be watching this thread...

Mama to my little Lily luxlove.gif (09/2010), and a sweet baby boy joy.gif (12/2012)

#3 of 92 Old 05-08-2013, 08:32 AM

My oldest, born in 2002, is named Olivia.  It's been in the top 5-10 names ever since-I had no idea until a couple years later how popular of a name it really was. I used my mom's baby name book from the early 80's she had used when looking for a name for me. While at times I think, "AH! Maybe I should have been more "original", I love her name, it suits her, and I don't know any other name that would have been "her".  I'm currently pregnant with my 4th daughter, a little girl who will more than likely be named Sophia. While it goes against a few different "criteria" I have for selecting names (super popular, friends with kids of the same name, somewhat negative association), it's the only name that truly seems "right". If it weren't for the SSI name database, or Facebook, or all the exhaustive baby name forums and sites, I wouldn't be aware of the popularity or usage by others, and I would go solely on my preference of a name...which when it comes down to it, should really be the guiding factor.

A lady in my DDC also suggested the idea that there is a difference between popular and trendy-again, not that it truly matters, but Mary was the #1 girls' name for something like 30+ years, and I don't think anyone would every say that Mary is a trendy name.  I think great, common names are common for a reason-either good/positive meaning, or positive association, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that-even though once upon a time I was quite a name snob, and thought that choosing anything popular was less than ideal.

I guess you could call me a reformed name snob...lol.

ETA: I have always made the "rule" if you veto a name, you have to suggest a name in return.  And, as proof of pregnancy brain in full swing...I didn't even notice you were the OP, tillymonster...so you've heard me say most of this already...lol!

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#4 of 92 Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 AM

I have to say, I would be upset if my husband was only willing to consider ONE name. That's just obnoxious. That's basically saying that he's picked the name and you get no say in it. greensad.gif

However, I don't think a name has to be unusual to be perfect for your child. My oldest son's name became hugely popular four years after he was born, and just keeps getting more popular every year. It's still a good name for him, and he likes it. I grew up with a hugely popular name (always one of several Michelles), but my name is very special to me. My mom and I are both huge Beatles fans, and knowing that's where my name came from is awesome to me. smile.gif

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#5 of 92 Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleepotter View Post

However, I don't think a name has to be unusual to be perfect for your child. smile.gif

yeahthat.gif

I like both of your name choices.  I was born in the early 60's...Samantha was the name I wished I had because I loved Bewitched!  Plus I like girl's names that can be nick-named a boy name.

I think the popularity might also depend upon the area you live.  e.g.  My children have known many children named Kaitlyn and Samuel/Sam even though neither name has been on the 10 most popular name list for the past 15 years.  We know only few children with the 'top ten' names so they must be popular someplace else.

I regret my daughter's name a bit.  Not because it is popular, but because I didn't go with my first choice.

HappyHappyMommy likes this.
#6 of 92 Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

yeahthat.gif

I like both of your name choices.  I was born in the early 60's...Samantha was the name I wished I had because I loved Bewitched!  Plus I like girl's names that can be nick-named a boy name.

I think the popularity might also depend upon the area you live.  e.g.  My children have known many children named Kaitlyn and Samuel/Sam even though neither name has been on the 10 most popular name list for the past 15 years.  We know only few children with the 'top ten' names so they must be popular someplace else.

I regret my daughter's name a bit.  Not because it is popular, but because I didn't go with my first choice.

Bewitched is so great right? I am liking Samantha more and more, but now that I discovered DH likes Penelope, everyone I bounce the idea off of, freaks out and says they love it! It goes well with my last which starts with a P. This is SUCH a hard decision. 

I've met a few Isabella's, but not many. I wonder if what you say is true-- it really makes sense! I've not met one Samantha my entire life and can't think of any even in my class growing up. Seems impossible considering it's been in the top 10 for years!

Freckledmama-- Hi there! I decided to see what other mamas outside of the DDC would think. I'm obsessing over names right now and don't want to bring down the group with my craze! :)

I adore Olivia omg. It's on my list but DH shot it down, a girl he knew had the name and he's not fond of her? I try not to put that negative spin on names but it can ruin one for you. I like your veto rule and will be enforcing that from now on.

Michelle-- DH is being obnoxious. I agree. ROTFLMAO.gif

I have that Beatles song in my head now... love it. Our wedding dance was to "In My Life" so we are fans here too!

#7 of 92 Old 05-09-2013, 07:02 AM

I totally appreciate your name craziness. I'm the worst I've ever been this pregnancy. As much as I know we're settled on a name, I'm still obsessing and questioning it. I should probably cool it though, because the kids are already calling her by name.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#8 of 92 Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 AM

You have to consider a name's trend in addition to its rank if you want to know its popularity. Samantha is 17, but it has been falling since the 90s (peaked at 4 in 93-95). Penelope, on the other hand, wasn't even on the top 1000 until 2001, and now it is 169. It has climbed leaps and bounds every year. So while you are far less likely to meet another Penelope than another Samantha, it may end up feeling trendy or dated. However, since it is a classic name, that is less likely. Both are lovely names, and for what it is worth, I have never met a baby Samantha OR Penelope, so depending on where you live, I don't really think popularity is so much of an issue. Either goes with Isabella nicely. Don't think you can go wrong!

C (26) and S (27) and our little N, born June 18, 2013
#9 of 92 Old 05-09-2013, 09:42 AM

I grew up in The Age of the Jessica's and my BFF was a Jessica, and no one, including her, seemed to care.

Also, keep in mind that these days, even the #1 names are only given to a TINY % of the population. It's not like 1950 anymore, where Tom, Dick and Harry were literally the names of everyone you knew.
dejagerw likes this.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#10 of 92 Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 AM

BTW- Isabella has also on my top names list since I was a kiddo, but I don't know where I got it from other than the author Isabel Allende... But I didn't read her work till high school.

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#11 of 92 Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 AM

In case anyone else is a total name nerd, the SSA 2012 rankings are out today.  FWIW, Samantha is down even further to 26, and Penelope is up quite a bit to 125, continuing both trends.  

There is also not a single name that is given to 1 out of 25 babies, so any given person is statistically unlikely to share his or her name with another member of his or her kindergarten class.  The top girl's name (Sophia) is given to slightly more than 1 out of every 100.  Samantha, by contrast, is given to 3 out of every 1000 (and Penelope to 1 out of every 1000).  Food for thought.

HappyHappyMommy and dejagerw like this.

C (26) and S (27) and our little N, born June 18, 2013
#12 of 92 Old 05-09-2013, 11:36 AM

I love the name Isabella, it would be in my top name choices for a girl. I named my son a popular name and still happy with the choice. I hear people say so many times "finally, a name I can spell! no hyphens or apostrophes!" 

Names are just names, they don't make us any less unique if someone else has the same one. I'd much rather be in a room with 7 other people with the same name than have one that no one could say or spell. People only notice your name when they first meet you, after that, it's just a word they use to get your attention. It isn't like they're going to be reminded what a unique and creative word your parents came up with every single time they use it. 

pixieonboard likes this.
#13 of 92 Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

It isn't like they're going to be reminded what a unique and creative word your parents came up with every single time they use it. 

Very true, and funny. It took me only a week of using it to feel like one particularly odd name was just a name.

However, it's very well documented that first impressions matter and are hard to overcome. If a name is very distinctive, in a good or bad way, it does have an impact.

#14 of 92 Old 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM

It's such a great name! I think the only thing I dont like about people naming their kids really popular names is when they think that they are somehow going to make their kid stand out by spelling it differently. I went to high school with 30 Jessica's and there was ONE girl who was Yessica, not Jessica and it was ridiculous. And it was not a cultural difference, it was just that her mom liked the name, but thought it was "too popular" so she thought she'd spell it differently. Name her Isabella, you wont regret it. Just dont name her Izabela or something "just so she can be different."

*I say this, as I have an Adaline, not an Adeline :) It was because we intended to call her "Ada" and it is spelled that way about 50% of the time. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#15 of 92 Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My 3 kids all have names on the top 10 for their birth year... Chloe, Hannah and Liam.

We picked them because we love them. I am fine with the popularity although it played no part in us picking the names...I do wish they were not. We did have 2 of the names picked for years before they were popular.... and hannah has been one of my favorites since I was in grade school. I love the names. Pick what name sounds good and feels right!

Congrats

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#16 of 92 Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Out of six kids I only have one that is in the top ten and two of them aren't on there at all. At church at times we've had  5 with the same name, small congregation, but it seems there are so many variable nick names that they mostly went by something different.

For my year, Nicole was in the top ten, so it always seemed to be that there was one in my class that went by Nikki, but my name is actually just Nickey and spelled weird at that. :-)

#17 of 92 Old 05-29-2013, 06:29 PM

I have an Ava, and have no regrets :) And, by some miracle, after 2 years of preschool, kindergarten, and 1st grade- she has been the only Ava!

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#18 of 92 Old 05-30-2013, 02:50 PM

I went through this with my daughter's name (Amelia) even though it's only top 30 or so. I wanted something less popular. But eventually I didn't find anything and decided I would rather pick the name I really liked than spend her whole life knowing I picked the second-best name. And I definitely don't regret it. I have crossed paths with another little Amelia or two, but it's not like they grow on trees. I've probably met one or two Isabellas and one or two Olivias. 

I have the same problem with my husband that a lot of you do... he's basically wedded to either Alexis or Fiona, both of which I really dislike. I finally twisted his arm into branching out a little, but he still tends to have a knee-jerk "no" to a lot of names. :(

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#19 of 92 Old 05-30-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Amelia is SO pretty. I also love Ava but I like long names that can become shorter nicknames. Like Samantha, Alexandra, Amelia, Jacqueline. DH only really likes Samantha but I feel like it's not feminine enough to be in the same vein as Isabella.

Can you really tell/feel different names for a newborn once you see her? I wonder if it'll work out that way...

#20 of 92 Old 05-30-2013, 05:37 PM

Some people *cough* me *cough* chose the name of their children LONG before they've even conceived. (I had DD1's name picked out since I was 12. I was 30 when I had her.)

Some people have a short list of names that they refer to and wait until the baby is born to see her/him and give her/him the right name. (One couple did this, and their second didn't get any names on the short list, but instead went with Emma, which the mother did not know at the time exactly how popular it was. She does regret choosing such a popular name, but it really does suit her.)

Some couples have fun debating over their future children's names and make a decision before again, they've conceived.

Everyone's different and no one is wrong. It's just what is most comfortable for you.

Me (33), DH (35) and DD1 (3) conceived naturally after 6 months. After TTC#2 for 15 months, finally got a pos.gif on my second cycle of Clomid, DD2 born Sept, 2013. Can I convince my DH it's a great idea to have another one?
#21 of 92 Old 05-31-2013, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

You gotta tell me... I'm so curious now. What did you name your kiddo? If you don't mind me asking.

So tonight I just decided I still love Amelia. But man... I'm seeing it EVERYWHERE. It's not in the top 10 even for my state.
lark7usa likes this.

#22 of 92 Old 05-31-2013, 06:48 AM

My dd is Maia. That spelling is in the 600-700's on the SSA list. Otoh. Maya is in the 60's. we go to a home daycare run by an Israeli woman. Of the 8 kids in her care, there are 2 Maya's and my Maia. Another maya was there when we started. There is also another maya in dd's gymnastics class. So, it really depends a lot on the small circle you travel in. I'm Sarah and I didn't want her to have such a popular name, but oh well. I'll be curious to see how popular her name is when she starts school.

S (35yo) wife to T (36yo) and mamma to my princess M (5/10/10).  After 3 losses in 2012, found an AMAZING doctor and gave birth to baby sister S on 11/12/13.
#23 of 92 Old 05-31-2013, 06:57 AM

Amelia was also the #1 name in the UK for 2011. I suspect partly because one of the main characters in the then-current season of Dr Who is named Amelia (though she goes by Amy). I don't care. I still love the name and feel like it really suits my daughter (although to be fair, most people seem to think their kids' names suit them) .

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#24 of 92 Old 05-31-2013, 09:19 AM

If you're talking to me, Tilly, DD1's name is Talia.

From the 90s Batman animated series. I loved that character.

Me (33), DH (35) and DD1 (3) conceived naturally after 6 months. After TTC#2 for 15 months, finally got a pos.gif on my second cycle of Clomid, DD2 born Sept, 2013. Can I convince my DH it's a great idea to have another one?
#25 of 92 Old 05-31-2013, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I should add that while in a baby sign class, there were 3 Chloes (mine and 2 others), but since then, I have only seen Chloe's of different ages, not the same as mine.  I have never met another Hannah in her age group and we have met one baby with the name Liam, but that was at a doc appt, and none in our group.  We no longer do baby classes, so we are not around a large group of other kids the same ages, but I don't think it is a super big problem.  Growing up there were always 3 Sarah's and 2 Susanne's (and one Susanna) in our class.  I don't know if it was irritating for the kids, but I have a unique name and it was ALWAYS mispronounced, which drove me CRAZY.  

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#26 of 92 Old 05-31-2013, 09:52 AM

So... I've met a ton of little Amelias, Mias, Olivias. I named my dd Penelope, and then much to my horror found out that famous people are naming their kids that left and right, and also met a Penelope the same age as my daughter not long ago. I've never met a little Samantha.

Also, I tend to travel in very liberal/crunchy circles. I live in a very liberal town, full of hipster old lady baby names. Mayas, Sophias, Graces, Hazels, Violets, Oscars all over the place. When I lived in more diverse places the numbers of Katlins, Chloes, and Madelines was astounding. (I still meet a lot of them from the surrounding areas, funny enough) So I think a lot the commonness of names depends in where you live.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#27 of 92 Old 05-31-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilish View Post

Some people *cough* me *cough* chose the name of their children LONG before they've even conceived. (I had DD1's name picked out since I was 12. I was 30 when I had her.)

...If you're talking to me, Tilly, DD1's name is Talia.

That's sweet. smile.gif My mom told me that she picked my name the first time she heard the Beatles' song Michelle. She would have been 7 or 8 years old then.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#28 of 92 Old 06-01-2013, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilish View Post

If you're talking to me, Tilly, DD1's name is Talia.

Yes I meant you! I totally love your inspiration. Talia is lovely. I'm seriously considering something like Adora or Ilora from He-Man. Both DH and I are watching with DD because the local station here added it to the nighttime lineup and we have fond memories of watching the show with our parents or on Saturday mornings. I just wish my DH would go for it. He laughs about how it'd be cool to do that, then won't commit. Arg.

Amelia is so lovely. I've always liked the name. I guess Dr. Who is huge in the UK? I really still thought it wasn't that popular! I love the show too so that's an added plus. Speaking of-- Clara is another character who I just ADORE and I love the name too. Not too high on the list and the main character in my favorite ballet-- Nutcracker Suite. DH vetoed. Hates it. I wanted to cry.

Devilish-- did you have trouble convincing your partner on this name choice?

#29 of 92 Old 06-01-2013, 05:58 AM

The conversation went something like this:

"Ever since I was 12, if I had a daughter, I always wanted to call her Talia." *Crazy Intense EyES*

DH: "Okay."

We never had a problem agreeing to girl names. It was always boys' names we had difficulty with. Good thing we're having a second girl.

#30 of 92 Old 06-01-2013, 02:50 PM

I think when it comes to names you will grow to love the person, and therefore the name no matter if it is the most common or the most unusual. It is not the name that makes a person, but a person that makes the name. As long as you love the name to begin with, all will be fine. And even if you don't love-love the name all will be fine since you will love the person wearing it.

Sometimes I think parents make life unnecessary difficult for their children giving them unique names, or even worse common names with unique spellings. I don't know if you remember the kid in class with the unique name that always had to spell it out? Or the kid with the name that no one could pronounce correctly? Yeah, there is that consideration too.

I have a fairly common first name, but an unusual (but really rather straightforward) surname. With my first name people do sometimes ask if I spell it with a "C" or a "K" which I find funny since I've never seen it spelled with "K" ever. My last name, however...thankfully, it is short, and have no hyphens or anything in it.

In the end, that you love the little person will be all that matters. Well, that and that the name you choose does not rhyme with anything obviously rude.

abiyhayil likes this.

Tags
Baby Names

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page