Makeshift Birth Stool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-11-2013, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm pregnant with baby #4.  I had my last at home in my Aquaborn pool.  I had #2 in a birth center in a large tub.  I just watched my birth videos. My second birth was much more calm it was by far the best so far.  She was even born sunny side up (your suppose to have a lot of back labor).  I think having the support of the firm tub made a difference. I think I was more upright with birth #2 as well.  #3 was extremely fast though and I had a hard time gathering and focusing myself.  I just screamed and he just came. 

I have always wanted to be up on my hands and knees or squatting but that has yet to happen.  At the point of pushing I'm so tired and in the throws of labor do not want to move or be moved.  I've been doing a ton of reading about how much bigger I'll be if squatting or kneeling.  I like the idea of standing then squatting and pulling on something from above when contractions come too.  However I don't think I will ever pass on my watery birth.  And how in the world would I ever rig something from above???

My midwife has a birth stool but not one that can go in my birthing pool.  They cost $490.  I like that I could use the Kaya one to sit on, lean on, whatever while I'm in the birth pool. But $490 is A LOT of money.  I thought of sitting on a ball but it would be hard since they are buoyant. Can't imagine having it pop up out of the water while I'm having contracts.  I can just get some kind of stool and hope it doesn't put a hole in my very expensive birth pool. So If anyone has any ideas or experience of what I can use for support in the birth pool please post. 

supermod.gif who isbelly.gifwith #4  has jumpers.gif . Believe in homeschool.gif,bfinfant.gif,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF,h20homebirth.gif,goorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-13-2013, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Bumping up for more input!  Anyone have any suggestions/experience?

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 5 Old 05-13-2013, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Unless your stool is made of dense, heavy material, I think it's going to have buoyancy issues too.

A wooden stool probably floats easily... But I guess it's less slippery and easier to keep underneath you than a ball!

Also, I would worry that unless it is unfinished and wrought together physically, any glazes, paints, binders or glues might dissolve into the water-- ick.

As far as modifying the stool, I would try some sort of flexible foam padding wrapped around each foot and secured with rubber bands. Maybe 3 layers or so if it's 1/4" thick?

I wouldn't use any glues unless you are very knowledgeable about how they might react to being underwater.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#4 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 06:01 PM

I've thought of this myself. I was picturing one of these backless camping chairs w/ the canvas removed & replaced w/ a toilet seat secured & modified on top. If not a split seat (like in a public bathroom, one of those wooden seats w/ the middle cut out & sanded.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#5 of 5 Old 05-26-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

I really want the Kaya! My husband suggested that I make a deal with my midwife.  I buy it then give it to her to keep as reminder of my payment. She agreed! She said there are others that are harder and medical grade.  They can be sterilized and cost less with her license discount. Around $380.  I'm just excited I will have something firm to lean on in the birth pool.  Even though I know I NEED to get on my knees this time. 

supermod.gif who isbelly.gifwith #4  has jumpers.gif . Believe in homeschool.gif,bfinfant.gif,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF,h20homebirth.gif,goorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif

User Tag List