When in pregnancy did your milk dry up? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

I just found out I'm pregnant with #2. DD, 2, is still nursing. I've heard milk dries up or changes taste with pregnancy, often causing the older child to wean him/herself. If this happened to you, how far along were you?

Frankly, I would like a break from nursing before it starts all over. So I'm kinda hoping this happens.

Thanks.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#2 of 14 Old 05-14-2013, 09:08 AM

Hi,

From what I've heard, your milk tends to change taste around the 4 month mark.

For me - I ended up weaning my DD when I was about 8 weeks along with this pregnancy because it was just driving me crazy and making me miserable. She was about 20 months at the time and I was a little sad because I wanted to nurse her until she was 2 at least but I was just so done with nursing.

My sister nursed her DD all through her pregnancy and then tandem nursed once the new baby came and it worked out really well for her and her kids.

Not all babies will wean themselves during pregnancy but I've heard many do. For me I just decided I was really done and my DD didn't really complain when I just stopped, although she wasn't nursing all that much at that point. Mostly just for naps. That made it much easier on me too - if she had really complained and asked for it a lot I don't know if I would have been able to stop completely.

I know I didn't really answer your question but I hope this helps at least.

#3 of 14 Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hey Blanca,

congratulations on your pregnancy!

We are still nursing here (I'm 25 weeks right now) about 3 or 4 times a day. I haven't found much of a difference in supply, though we did nightwean and that reduced my supply to a good level for the daytime nursing.

The biggest issue for me has been that my nipples are a little sore, but when it gets too bad I just end that nursing session and try again later.

You might find that DD is ready to wean in less than 8-ish months without any changes in supply, just because of age.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#4 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! I'm like Allison--just been feeling done lately. We have been slowly trying to reduce how much she's nursing. We've dropped the bedtime one most nights and it doesn't seem to bother her--if she asks for it, I still nurse her. Mornings, I think because she's hungry, she's pretty voracious but eventually we will try to drop that one, too. I just really, really want a break from nursing before this new baby comes.

MamaPigeon--glad your pregnancy is going well!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#5 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 10:32 AM

Congrats Blanca!  Mine dried up completely around 20 weeks, although my supply had started to go down before then and DS had already started weaning himself.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#6 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post

Congrats Blanca!  Mine dried up completely around 20 weeks, although my supply had started to go down before then and DS had already started weaning himself.

Congrats to you too! We've come a long way since TTC #1 in our 30s!

#7 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 03:06 PM

My supply tanked in the first trimester, probably around week 10-12 but DD (then 21 months or so) kept nursing 2-3 times a day. Shortly after her second birthday (around week 24) she seemed to forget how to latch on and would simply hold my nipple in her mouth or use her tongue to play with it. My theory is that she hadn't been getting any milk for many weeks and forgot what was the point lol. Now I'm just shy of 30 weeks and we still pretend to nurse to sleep most days. Meh, it doesn't bother me much and helps her relax so I just let it be. I was hoping to tandem nurse and still hold some hope that maybe she'll pick it up and actually apply suction once there's milk to be had. Don't get me wrong, I can TOTALLY relate to getting the jibblies/being touched out and wanting a break but I just find parenting a nursing toddler much easier and it would be a worthwhile trade off for our family. Congrats to all you expecting mamas and I wish you all easy pregnancies, lovely births and cooperative toddlers wink1.gif
#8 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

milk dried up right away both time (like 4-5 weeks) and my kids continued nursing and we tandem nursed with both too.  Taste or lack of milk did not deter my children at all.  It may take some gentle pushes from you if that is what you want.

Congrats and good luck!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#9 of 14 Old 05-16-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post

milk dried up right away both time (like 4-5 weeks) and my kids continued nursing and we tandem nursed with both too.  Taste or lack of milk did not deter my children at all.  It may take some gentle pushes from you if that is what you want.

Congrats and good luck!

This. And man oh man do I want a break! DD is 3.5yo and knows it hurts mama-- so we don't nurse except at bedtime. Sometimes during the day if she's pissy/tamtrumy or sick. My milk was pretty much gone right away and DD had a few days of being very upset about it. Weird thing tho-- it helped me feel less nauseated with MS when I nursed her! I still wonder why that could be. Boobs are so cool!

Tamdem nursing... Does it work out? I'm very worried DD will want to ALL the time and I'm going to have to hide out with the new babe to keep my sanity.

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#10 of 14 Old 05-17-2013, 12:03 PM

For us, my DS (who was probably 20 months when we got pregnant) seemed to notice pretty quickly - almost immediately - that something was "different".  I think my supply dropped slowly and steadily from about 12 weeks to about 23 weeks, then dried up.  My colostrum came in about week 26.  He slowed down a bit, but did not nearly come close to self weaning when the milk was gone, and then he picked right back up again when the colostrum came in.  But he wasn't even close to weaning when I got pregnant, so I think that has something to do with it.  I am also just planning on tandem nursing, so while I have had to try to set some boundaries, I haven't pushed him to wean. 

I would say that if you are not planning on tandem nursing, then gently cutting back when you feel like you are ready would work out okay.  You could wait and see what happens when your milk changes or dries up, but it may or may not make things easier. 

Congrats and Good luck!!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#11 of 14 Old 05-18-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, BabySmurf, that's very helpful. I just don't think I have it in me to tandem nurse. I am really ready for a break. It stresses me out to feel like she is so much more dependent on me than on DH--even though I love nursing in many ways, I also feel like it makes it harder for me to get away. When she was younger she would only nurse to sleep and I hated the pressure that put on me when it came to night time parenting--my husband could have done more, perhaps, but she just really wouldn't go to sleep any other way--she even cried when we rocked her. If I think about nursing an infant AND a toddler, my whole mind just screams NO!

I've been taking a "don't offer, don't refuse" approach and she sometimes will go a few days without nursing before bed (she still nurses every morning). For the most part she's dropped the naptime nursing. So we'll see.

My main concern is, if I can't wean her enough in advance of the new baby, will that make it harder on her and make older child jealousy issues more acute--to see the new baby doing what was such a big part of her life until recently? So I feel some time pressure.

#12 of 14 Old 05-18-2013, 12:07 PM

I totally get that! It is something that makes me nervous as well - will I be able to handle it?? For us I see tandem as the right choice, but I can absolutely see the other side smile.gif
I can relate to wanting to make the change sooner rather than later too, so there isn't that rivalry. It sounds like the not offering is working good for now, and perhaps that's all you need to do for the moment and she will taper off. Then you will have developed other ways to have that special connection and if it gets to the point where you feel like you need things to move faster, you have comfort measures to offer her already established.
Nursing while pregnant is a roller coaster and searching the forums can actually give you a lot of great ideas on how to set more boundaries. Starting now should give you and her plenty of time for a gentle transition.
Good luck and congrats on nursing this long smile.gif

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#13 of 14 Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM

My supply tanked around 7 weeks pregnant.  I didn't know I was pregnant at the time.  DS was 6 months old at the time, and I continued to nurse him for another two months.  He got crankier and crankier before I discovered that he had actually LOST half a pound, at which point I took a pregnancy test.  guilty.gif  I weaned him to formula at 8 months old - I was ~16 weeks pregnant at that time.  As soon as he realized there was food in the bottle, he stopped caring at all about the breast, and the weaning process was super easy.  I would have considered tandem nursing, but I was so freaked out about the weight loss/malnutrition issue, that I felt the need to make a drastic change.

It was like someone turned off a faucet.

Wife to DH hat.gif (8/1/09), Mom to DS jog.gif (4/28/11) and DD energy.gif(6/16/12).

#14 of 14 Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post

This. And man oh man do I want a break! DD is 3.5yo and knows it hurts mama-- so we don't nurse except at bedtime. Sometimes during the day if she's pissy/tamtrumy or sick. My milk was pretty much gone right away and DD had a few days of being very upset about it. Weird thing tho-- it helped me feel less nauseated with MS when I nursed her! I still wonder why that could be. Boobs are so cool!

Tamdem nursing... Does it work out? I'm very worried DD will want to ALL the time and I'm going to have to hide out with the new babe to keep my sanity.

I set very specific rules for them.  When DD2 was born, I was down to night, nap and waking.  Same with when DS arrived, DD2 was down to 3 times a day.  They will scream and kick and cry, but for my physical sanity, I have to say no and try to get them to grab a book or whatever.  We have our kids pretty close together (just over 2 years and just under 2.5 years apart) and I am glad I could keep nursing for the pregnancy and give them that comfort.  I weaned DD1 at 3.25 years and it was pretty easy.  We will see how DD2 does.  I am not planning on weaning her anytime soon.

Good luck.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page