Would taking Prometrium delay a miscarriage? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-14-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been taking Prometrium since 8 weeks when we found out my Progesterone was low, at 18.5. Almost immediately after starting the supplement, my nausea went away and the only pregnancy symptom I have is sore nipples once in awhile. My question is...can taking the Prometrium delay any miscarriage symptoms? I am freaking out and just found out my appt next week got moved to the following week:(

Wife to the most amazing man and the funniest little girl born Sept 2007-- belly.gifIt's a boy! January 2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-14-2013, 01:41 PM

in theory it could but I would keep taking it as not taking it can cause miscarriage. Wait until your appointment symptoms come and go for a lot of women.

#3 of 6 Old 05-14-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else know anything about Prometrium?

Wife to the most amazing man and the funniest little girl born Sept 2007-- belly.gifIt's a boy! January 2012

#4 of 6 Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 PM

With my last miscarriage I was on Prometrium. I started taking it when I got my bfp at 12 dpo. I recall taking a pregnancy test again around 16 dpo and my test was negative. The next day I got blood work done, and the numbers were no good. I stopped the pills and 2 days later started bleeding.

Maybe take another test if you are nervous. With all my miscarriages my tests started getting lighter before the bleeding started.

#5 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
This is my second pregnancy on Prometrium and I was not taking it for either of my miscarried pgs (only progesterone cream for one of them).

In my limited experience and understanding, progesterone needs to be supplemented before implantation (so well before you know you are pg) to make a difference. If you didn't start it until 8 weeks, it is possible that the progesterone would just cause your body to delay letting a miscarriage begin.

As far as taking a test for reassurance, that will not be reliable as far along as you are now. With my m/c at 10 weeks, I didn't get negative HPTs until 3 weeks after the miscarriage occurred.

If you are stressing out over it, call your provider and let them know you are concerned about the lack of symptoms and need to be seen sooner.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#6 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post

In my limited experience and understanding, progesterone needs to be supplemented before implantation (so well before you know you are pg) to make a difference. If you didn't start it until 8 weeks, it is possible that the progesterone would just cause your body to delay letting a miscarriage begin.

That depends on the issue you are having as to whether its is true. Progesterone that makes the enviornment favorable for a future pregnancy and progesterone that maintains a pregnancy (like the ovary does) are the same hormone but need to be take at different times. So for some women the prengnacy might pretty much be over by the time they take the progesterone but for most it is supplimenting the ovary which for one reason or another (PCOS) fr example is having a hard time keeping the lining from shedding.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page