I am only five days past my due date. I would really like to deliver before 42 weeks, to avoid transferring out of birth center. When should I get aggressive with natural induction techniques? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 05-15-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 1 cm dilated and 70% effaced, very soft, -1 station, with a posterior cervix. I would really not worry about when my little darling wants to make her appearance, as I don't have that "sick of being pregnant" feeling at all. I will actually miss being pregnant. I would love to just let nature take its course, but I am simply worried about going over my 42 week deadline before being transferred to a hospital birth.

I have been offered to have my membranes stripped at my last two appointments, and I refused. I have been drinking red raspberry lead tea since 12 weeks, and have been taking EPO since 36 weeks. I have been getting regular chiropractic adjustments since before pregnancy, as well as doing yoga daily, and walking a lot. At my 41 week (to the day) visit, should I agree to have my membranes stripped, or wait till 41.5? How about an induction massage, or acupuncture? When would be a good time frame for those? How long does an induction massage take to work? I have also been considering a pedicure, because I have heard there are a lot of acupressure points on the feet.  Any other ideas? I wish my baby girl wasn't under a deadline. 

#2 of 24 Old 05-15-2013, 07:13 PM

You're already doing heaps of things that help encourage bub, but a few more wouldn't hurt:

*fresh pineapple (bromelain is a ripening agent)

*enjoy some loving with your partner (if male) and either finish inside or swallow (again, it's a ripening agent; swallowing is actually more effective)

*spicy food

*move your hips! on a birth/fit ball, or standing leaning against something

*have a meaningful talk with your partner at a quiet and relaxing time of day (bedtime?) about how you both feel, whether you're both ready, what you're each excited about, what you're each nervous about, etc., and connect (there really is a powerful mind/body connection; the more supported and safe you feel, the more likely your body is to let this thing happen)

Good luck to you! I'm a birth centre mom as well, so I understand not wanting to "risk" out of the birth centre for any reason.

#3 of 24 Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 PM

Membrane sweep worked like a charm with my second. Pedicure sounds pretty nice.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#4 of 24 Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

How are you taking the EPO? I did a vaginal suppository and I lost my mucous plug with bloody show the next day and had the baby 2 days later.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#5 of 24 Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

I tried EPO vaginally, and got this burning sensation, so I switched to orally only. Not sure if that is concerning. 

#6 of 24 Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

oh, and I've heard castor oil works too but I have never tried it myself. Not sure if you take it orally or what.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#7 of 24 Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

The day I went into labour I was 1 cm dilated when they checked and crying because I thought I was going to be pregnant FOREVER. I was 41 weeks pregnant by that point.

Point of fact, the chemical released by your brain to being on contractions is called oxytoxin. Otherwise known as the hormone of love and is also released during times of sexual stimulation and orgasm. If you catch my meaning.

Me (34) (PCOS), DH (36) and DD1 (3) and DD2(1). We are going to go for a third. Now, will we succeed?
#8 of 24 Old 05-16-2013, 04:49 AM

I just want to say *hugs* and I know it really sucks to be on a deadline, especially if your baby seems to be doing fine and there's no real medical indication to hurry things along. My babies just like to cook longer, and I've had three of them at or after 42 weeks! (My longest gestating baby, at 42w3d dated by ultrasound, was only 7 pounds and clearly only just ready to be born!)

Luckily, MOST women DO go before 42 weeks, so my biggest suggestion is to relax, try not to stress. Stress can only delay things! Is this your first baby, and are you Caucasian (non-hispanic white)? If so, realize that the AVERAGE is 41 weeks, so a couple more days would be totally normal, and no reason to think you won't go before the deadline. (I'm not sure about other races, but I bet someone here knows, or can look it up.) My best suggestion for getting things going is sex! Helps you relax, stimulates hormones, and is more fun than a lot of other techniques! wink1.gif I do NOT recommend castor oil, or black or blue cohosh. Trust me, NOT pleasant, and potentially dangerous.

Oh also, like PP said, don't put too much stock in how far you are dilated, etc. At least, don't let yourself think you're not getting anywhere yet and stress out. Some women walk around at 4cm for weeks before labor, and other women (like me) don't start opening up until labor has started. I've gone to bed at 1cm (barely!) and woken up in labor! Those numbers are really more useful if you're considering a medical induction and need to know how likely it is to work.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#9 of 24 Old 05-16-2013, 10:34 AM

Oh Colomomma - I feel for you and I hope it happens for you before you are forced into a location that is not for you.

I don't know what this is like as I had my DD at 34 weeks because I spontaneously went into labour(opposite problem!). What I do know, is that just before I went into labour we were up at our family cottage with our dog, playing in the lake, going for walks, and having our "last romantic weekend away" (if you catch my drift *wink, wink*). DH and I were both talking to my belly since I was having what I thought were lots of BH contractions telling baby how busy work is and that we need it to stay inside until my due date lol. I had my daughter at 3am that night. So I second trying to be in a happy, loving, relaxed state.

Best of luck and I hope it all works out for you as planned!

#10 of 24 Old 05-16-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Since someone asked, I am mostly Caucasian, with just a small bit of Native American.

#11 of 24 Old 05-16-2013, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMama19 View Post

oh, and I've heard castor oil works too but I have never tried it myself. Not sure if you take it orally or what.

I wouldn't do that unless you get desperate, since it's usually accompanied by diarrhea.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#12 of 24 Old 05-16-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

I wouldn't do that unless you get desperate, since it's usually accompanied by diarrhea.

yeahthat.gif

I've heard of some midwives being concerned it might cross the placenta and cause the baby to pass merconium.

Now, my midwife gave me a castor oil rub on my cervix to draw the blood to it and hasten delivery and that helped tremendously.  I was already in labor, but it just wasn't catching on.

Also, orgasms.  Lots of 'em.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#13 of 24 Old 05-16-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colomomma View Post

Since someone asked, I am mostly Caucasian, with just a small bit of Native American.

Then, yeah, if this is your first baby, 41 weeks is about average. Hang in there - you'll probably go any day now!

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#14 of 24 Old 05-17-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

My midwifery practice advised against Castor oil. It sometimes has disastrous results, as others have mentioned. 

#15 of 24 Old 05-18-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: I just had a non-reactive non-stress test, at 41 weeks, one day. The midwifery practice will try again tomorrow, and if it is non-reactive again, they will recommend a medical induction. I still have the same stats, so my cervix is very unfavorable for an induction. I'M NERVOUS!

#16 of 24 Old 05-18-2013, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
They didn't want to follow the test with a biophysical profile (BPP)- an ultrasound? Seriously, you feel baby's movement slowing down at all, just go to the hospital, ok? Just had to say that in case no one else has.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#17 of 24 Old 05-18-2013, 08:01 PM

Changes in your cervix can happen quickly. Medical inductions can take a long time, try and rest now and see if you can put together a support team to relieve your partner, bring food ect. Sometimes things just don't go like we pictured. You haven't done anything to cause this, you don't deserve it but it looks like you pulled the induction card on this very unpredictable thing we call childbirth. An induction does not equal epidural, cesarean or anything else. If you do need these things, you are not bad, you didn't do anything wrong, you just needed them and you are brave for doing whatever it is you need to do. I hope that tonight your body opens and induction isn't necessary...I will be thinking of you.
#18 of 24 Old 05-18-2013, 08:03 PM

And yes, take Katie's advice. It is great advice.
#19 of 24 Old 05-18-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

I had a biophysical profile, and it was totally fine.

#20 of 24 Old 05-18-2013, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yay! smile.gif

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#21 of 24 Old 05-20-2013, 02:40 PM

Hoping that no update means that your baby is here! :) 

#22 of 24 Old 05-22-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Wound up having an induction by a hospital midwifery practice, instead of my birth center. The midwives were awesome, and didn't push the pit too much, or try and blast my baby out. I wound up getting an epidural out of pure exhaustion, but it was my own choice, nothing was pushed on me. It was a much better experience than I had anticipated, and I had a vaginal birth, no stiches!

cynthiamoon and Lazurii like this.
#23 of 24 Old 05-22-2013, 06:12 PM

Im so glad it went well and you had supportive team of care provider. Being able to make choices is so important. Congratulations!
#24 of 24 Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations colomomma! I'm glad you had a safe and satisfying experience! 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page