Risks of Flagyl at 20wks pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a double infection that was ignored by Kaiser, both bacterial vaginosis and a yeast infection. I am to say the least, very upset! I mentioned to the "midwife" that this was going on, she told me I had a diaper rash. Not even joking.

Cuss.gif

So, new "midwife" who was very nice, checked me today and found the infections. She prescribed Flagyl and after reading the insert, I really don't want to take it. I'm VERY sensitive to antibiotics and am considered allergic to sulfameth, which was used to treat a UTI, the first one I've ever had in my life. This occurred a few months before becoming pregnant.

I am taking a liquid probiotic, lots of vitamin c. I am using a peri-bottle filled with hydrogen peroxide that is helping but I'm not douching with it, nor do I want to. I am wondering why the gel stuff wasn't prescribed, this is what I ended up using in my 3rd trimester with my first pregnancy, but that time, I just had crazy discharge, not persistent itching. 

Any tips or suggestions are welcome, I want relief but don't want to take anything as seemingly harmful as Flagyl appears to be. greensad.gif

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#2 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 10:19 PM

I would see another doctor. I am bit confused. Do you have a UTI or yeast infection?

Also, who told you to use hydrogen peroxide?  It is really not good for your tissues.

Did they test the discharge for vaginosis?

#3 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yes they did a swab. I have a YI and BV. greensad.gif

#4 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 AM

If you call the phone number at www.infantrisk.com, they can help you determine the potential side effects of Flagyl at this gestation and possibly offer you alternative treatment options if you decide the risks outweigh the benefits.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#5 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I am also breastfeeding (though barely) my 3yo. The insert says specifically "DO NOT BREASTFEED" and it's appalling my "midwife" thought this was an OK medicine for me. *sigh*

#6 of 6 Old 06-11-2013, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Well fast forward a few weeks and... I still have BV and it sure looks like it's here to stay.

I did 3 day monistat for the YI then was finally prescribed metro-gel. Took that for 5 days with not much relief.

I've done the garlic clove thing, ACV washes, Hydro peroxide washes (which is the only thing helping right now) and am changing my diet. I eat too much fresh fruit but crave it like crazy.

I've emailed the midwife at Kaiser again but can't keep taking antibiotics. I'm now 24 weeks and worried that I will have PROM just as I did at 40wks with DD#1. I would rather go into labor with my waters intact this time and not worry about pre-term labor either.

I have a box of Yeast Arrest in my fridge my Naturalpath prescribed but I'm too scared to try. It's basically just a borax suppository but guess what? I read a midwife on some blog saying her patients on borax had PROM! Ugh. Help!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page